Small room advice

To me you are in an ideal place, why?

Very few of us get to buy amp and speakers together , this is a time to look for system synergy .

I would have few qualms about a Nova or an Atom if it is box count you are worried about , if I wa starting over I would be quite happy :blush: with a Nova, Graham Slee phonostage , a decent turntable and I would probably go for a pair of stand mounts like the PMC or smaller floor standers like Spendors or Totems .

I too have a smallish room and have reduced box count , at the same time I have more fully integrated my TV viewing into the system by means of a UnitiQute which I use as a Dac.

1 Like

PS a lot of users have raised the point of AD/ DA and in practice there are a lot of happy customers.

I am about to buy a Jacquelin Du Pre LP, it has been digitally remastered at a higher level than CD .

It’s rather like cars , mine is three cylinder engine, it has a turbo charge and I have no problems with the engineering as long as it drives well.

About the speakers - i will choose between ATC (11 or 19) and PMC (21 or 22).
I’ve had Spendor A6 - and i want to change the preaentation.
I will not change anything in phono - i have accoustic signature with morch+AEC London And great phono stage from polish RCM(i haven’t Heard anything better)
Amplification - sn2 or 200/202 or 272/200
Was also thinking about exposure 3010 - but i don’t know anything about it.

The 200/ 202 needs to be at least three boxes :package: as there is the NAPSC as well.

The PMC and ATC swim in the same pro / consumer market ,if it was me I would go for the XS 3 and PMC , possibly adding a HiCap later. The PMC look on paper easier to drive , so you could get away with a smaller amp.

I would also look at Amphion speakers as they also work in the pro/consumer market - as does Harbeth

Until last year I had a 202/200 DR driving a set of PMC twenty.22, but I moved in the last twelve months to a Nova / Dynaudio Special 40. The PMC’s were great although the bass has always been a bit thin in my 4,5 x 5,5 room. I am fully satisfied with both Nova and Dyn’s which really has shown to be an improvement over the previous setup.

1 Like

i’ve heard Amphions few months ago.
they are very detailed but also a little bit too “cold” to me

I have a small listening room. I use SN2 with ProAc DB3s and find the sound suits me admirably. It will depend on your personal preference but I like a punchy drum sound with well placed voices/instruments and this setup really sends tingles down my spine on my favourite music.

I have 7 non-Naim boxes in a room that size with Wilson Benesch Arc speakers.
The key is to keep the speakers a good 50cm from wall and have 6 thick acoustic panels to absorb the bass reflections.

Every time I add a panel I get more bass as I guess the reflections cancel the bass out.

1 Like

it’s not so easy when you share a room with your wife :slight_smile:
so - not too may boxes and small speakers is a must

1 Like

I did have a much bigger room but my wife was pleased when I moved to the current room!

also, i/ve never had bookshelf speakers - i’ve had Castle Harlech, some Mission and Spendor a6.
i don’t know if i can get use to small speakers

I have this box set and you’re right, it sounds pretty good

Claude

3 Likes

Thanks,

Best wishes

Ian
(PS A former local girl)

I am moving house and to smaller room, will keep my NDX2 and Supernait 3 but will change to TAD ME1 or Marten Parker Duo speakers. The tad are less sensitive to position.

1 Like

looks great, but what a price…

Don’t think the NAPSC is strictly necessary with 200/202. Sure it’s desirable, but even then it doesn’t need to go on the rack.

Roger

I agree I have pmc 20.23 in small garage conversion (long and narrow space) into music room, they work really well. I am currently trying ATC scm40, which also work well no “bass boom” both speakers have to go pretty close to rear/side wall. I should add the space is irregular shaped with vaulted ceiling, and well insulated with rock wall overlaid with sound reducing plasterboard (the blue coloured stuff) over the existing cavity wall and ceiling.

I use a pair of Dutch & Dutch 8c’s in a small room, work back up against the walls and the DSP gives great low end control

Next week I will look for second han or exDemo SN2 or 200/202 or Exposure 3010 separates with DAC.
After that i will demo PMC 21, 22 and ATC 11 and 19.
Then only streamer is to go for.

and sorry for my English :slight_smile:

If your cartridge is mm then what about an ex-dem XS3 and sell your phono preamp? Even less boxes, unless your turntable has an inbuilt phono stage.