Smaller speakers for my smaller room?!?

It’s been awhile but it sounded amazing right out of the box but even better after 1 week.

1 Like

I also think you made the right choice - will be interested in seeing if you think you can go without the sub, although it sounds like you are enjoying it. A nice combination you have.

3 Likes

Great decision. I’ve just done the same as you: replaced my Nova with an SN3 and the speakers really do get going now. Enjoy.

3 Likes

Thanks.

I’ve done a few songs worth of listening (not exactly an comprehensive A-B comparison, I know) with the sub and without it, and there’s little doubt it’s much better with it on board.

1 Like

I’ve had the SN3 running more or less constantly for a few days now, and all seems to be settling in well, notwithstanding some further subwoofer adjustments.

Notably, and eventually leaving it positioned where it was originally when the Nova was running the show, but changing the crossover from 80kHz to around 55khz. It just sounds so much of a better integration with the D2Rs now that the SN3 is in situ.

Quick question: is the prevailing wisdom to have the sub wired into the ProAcs, as I do, as opposed to the SN3’s sub port?

It’s fine to use either high or low level connection. I’ve generally found high level to be preferable, but that may not be the case for all subs or amps.
If you’re happy with the way it works now I would be tempted to leave well alone, but in some systems it may suit your room layout better to use the low level connection from the amp.

1 Like

That’s great news. Seems we have both moved from Nova to SN3 at the same time for similar reasons. From another thread I see you are pondering DAC choices. I picked up a second hand NDX2 and could not be happier. Witch Hat Morgana interconnect on order, I’m using Audioquest MacKenzie RCAs for now (some ground loop distortion but otherwise pretty good).

Hi James,

Congratulations on your NDX2, that’s a much heralded pairing with your SN3. Look forward to hearing your thoughts on that combination.

I’ve bought an nDAC, but I’m disappointed by its lack of improvement on my CD playback. Streaming - Qobuz or ripped content - is where I am more won over, but not enough for the nDAC to be a keeper.

So far, even straight out of the box, the combination of SN3 and NDX2 is just fantastic. Really made the speakers sing. Tough one on the nDAC, perhaps give it time if you intend to stream more.

1 Like

At the risk of sounding a bit foolish, if the only thing you don’t like about them is the colour, why not respray them? Many professional outfits out there that could do a very nice job with a custom colour of your choosing :thinking:
Congrats on the SN3 by the way. How’s it sounding now after having a few weeks of use?

1 Like

Hi QS,

It’s not foolish, and somebody did suggest this. However, I’m hankering after something a bit different. To which end, I’m currently home demoing a pair of Tannoy Legacy Eatons.

The SN3, notwithstanding a bit of warm up, and connection/speaker cable tweaking, is sounding quite glorious.
I ran it for a week or two, then brought back my Nova into the rack for an evening of comparison. Much as I love the Nova, I am mightily impressed by the improvements the SN3 brings.

2 Likes

I did all of my Speaker auditions with SN3 as the amplification and was also mightily impressed with it. in fact, if I hadn’t already purchased my amplification rig I would probably have gone for the SN3.
Still, I am just as happy, if not more so with my NAC202/NAP200DR purchase.
Good luck with the Eatons :slightly_smiling_face:

A great combo, I’m sure.

2 Likes

Might be a bit late to the party party. I have a similar sized room with it being 4.1 x 5.8m. Have run Proac d18 and then subsequently d30r with great results. So if you like the Proac sound you should have headroom for improvement by changing up.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.