Smallest good sub?

Ok so if that is what you call a small sub show us what your understanding of a bigger one is? :slight_smile:

Blimey - £4,395 :no_mouth:

1 Like

You asked, you have :grin:

Wilson Audio Thor’s Hammer

Having moved my 805D3’s into a larger room, I’ve supplemented them with a pair of SVS 1000 Pro’s. For me the price was right but if I upgrade to floorstanding speakers I can transfer the subs into my home cinema room where they will be an upgrade on the two existing ones. Icing on the cake was being able to adjust both subs from my listening seat via the SVS smartphone app, although some recommended settings are given on their website as a starting point. Happy with things thus far…although Kudos 505’s keeping cropping up as a potential alternative the the B&W/SVS combo.

1 Like

Errrr…non!

1 Like

Got mine for £500 from the fishy place.

1 Like

Svs micro 3000 are one of the new breed of small sealed subs.

1 Like

That looks pretty nice! Small too.
Thanks for the info @kend.

DD18+ Velodyne DD Plus - YouTube

One thing about subs is that there are numerous trade tests documented online about the benefit of 2 lesser subs over 1 larger or even more expensive one.

Room interactions are very uneven with a single point source and you might be able to position a single sub in the optimal position relative to your listening position but it often will have dead zones in the room or concentrated areas (think perfect for you but a sledgehammer under granny’s recliner).

Unless you are the solo listener, they found that 2 small asymmetrically positioned subs always outperformed a single more expensive large sub. By “they” I mean the various trade members who have tested this. It is worth googling “1 sub vs 2”.

I guess something like the PMC BB5 XBD sub - the bottom box in pic below (N.B that’s a 15” driver)

(Dimensions of teh sub: 1032mm x 432mm x 790mm deep)

More seriously, here the BW DB4S subwoofer for the BW 805 speakers.
The dimensions should be similar if you search the right one.

1 Like

Thanks FR. Good to see it in comparison with the 805. Still a bit bigger than I’d want: would not pass Home Security I’m afraid!

But will a smaller one can be effective ? Just a question, but maybe better instead saving and buy later bigger speakers.

I think that is the question the OP is asking …

FR, don’t want bigger speakers - I have to move my 805s around (when my wife is away, lol) to get their best position - can’t see me doing that with floorstanders. I’ve always had standmounts and beyond liking the look of the 505s, I’m in no hurry to change - the 805s are a delight.

Point of the thread: was just wondering what small, good subs there were and what one could offer…

Small subs can work. And at decent money too.
But, you must try it in your room and be prepared to fine tune. I had to stick mine in a corner ( out of the way) and required tweaking to get it right. But happy now.
Yes. A bigger sub positioned elsewhere will almost certainty sound better. But I’m happy where I have had to compromise. I got a new T5/x for just over £500. :blush:

1 Like

Thanks @Thegreatroberto!

I must say, I am a bit tempted by the Micro 3000 that @kend posted. Not bad £££ considering the glowing review I read…

Living in a first floor apartment, with carpeted floorboards, I do also wonder what my neighbours below may, er, suffer with a sub ‘in tow’ :thinking:

I understand Stevie, but a smaller sub than the one I posted above, which was designed for the 805, can do nothing or even worse. Not sure about that, just wondering.

1 Like

I very much like the look of these B&W’s.