SN3 and NDX2 connections Hiline vs Superlumina

It’s neither better nor worse. It’s different. The best thing though is that it’s like we’ve got our room back.

Sounds to me like you have never heard It Stephen…

2 Likes

Room domination is not good.

Enjoy the system, sounds good to me.

FWIW - I ran my SuperNait 2 and NDX 2 with the standard IC and thought it was fantastic! Overtime I added a XPS DR to the streamer and was extremely pleased with the upgrade, 5 months latter I added a HiCap DR and enjoyed another uplift and a few months after that a Hi-line was introduced. The advantage of spreading upgrades over time allow you to get familiar with the sound of your system and being able to determine if you enjoy the change to the sound as you introduce a new component.

I am fortunate that I have a local dealer that I built up a relationship with and have worked with them with each purchase. On each occasion I had the opportunity to have an in home demo before purchase. Others who do not have local dealers have built up relationships dealers who provide demo equipment if cost of shipping is covered and credit card deposit is provided.

Perhaps you can work with the folks who are shipping you the SN3/NDX 2 on future purchases to arrange a demo?

Enjoy your system, you are going to love the music!

3 Likes

Sorry, I’m late to the party. I’ve a similar journey and system to @seakayaker and agree with his post above. I also started with adding the XPS DR and then a HiCAP. I find they bring different improvements, at different costs. The XPS DR lowers the noise floor, bringing more detail, clarity and widens and deepens the soundstage. The HiCAP is more about control and cohesion, so holding the overall presentation more together with complex music, particularly at higher volumes.

I do have the S/L full loom though - that really came about by chance. I had decided on the Hiline, but when I went to order it, my dealer had a used S/L for a great price, so I grabbed that. It really adds more of what the XPS DR brings, and in my system was quite an improvement in the overall presentation. Subsequently I added S/L speaker cables, with I do prefer over the NAC A5, as I found it is very natural abs organic and matches well with my Totem Forest Signature speakers.

Add to that, I use the EE8 switch connected to the NDX2 and have the Powerlines and an Isotek power board/filter.

My approach has been to maximise the most out of the amp with source and power improvements. This gives a lovely system.

Back to your question, I’m sure a Hiline will be lovely, S/L would be too but unless second hand the cost does start to get a bit out of proportion. Good luck and enjoy the music.

6 Likes

Superlumina speaker cable made my system boring when i tried it. No thanks… then again i went back to the Lavender I/C after a Hiline and thought it played better music. As ever, try before you buy.

Slightly different experience here: swapping the Naim standard interconnect with a HiLine was a great improvement. Used it for more then 2 years. Not too long ago I bought a SuperLumina interconnect to replace it. I think the SL is better then the HiLine but with a really, really small margin. A such I would always invest in adding the psu
My system is 252/SC/300/DDX2/555

Cheers
Iver

2 Likes

Indeed,
I tried the S.L speaker cables, between the NAP 135 and S-600.
After Several days I was unable to listen to the system. Too analytical and transparent without any involving musical sense.
The NACA5 returned to their natural place and the smile too …

1 Like

I would agree with this advice. The Hi-line works well with Naim digital sources and a Hicap is also well worth an audition.

Back in the old days a CDX2/Hi-line paired with a Supernait and a Hicap was a great combination, and I guess NDX2/Hi-line with Supernait 3 and Hicap DR is the current version. Would be well worth listening to, I reckon.

1 Like

When I purchased my SN3 and NDX2 I was offered a good deal on a Chord Epic Digital Din-Din cable by my dealer. Had it fitted since I received the boxes and very happy with how it sounds. In the words of HH “I’m just enjoying it”. I might go and retrieve the original and see if I can hear any difference. Chord option bit cheaper than Hi-line and significantly cheaper than SL.

I posted my SL speaker cables off to their new owner and can’t say I miss them. I was keen to lose the biwire jumper bars and replace them with proper cable but the SL versions cost nearly as much as my speakers, which would be silly. So it’s back to basics for me, standard Naim interconnects and a Graham’s Hydra to handle the mains, just like I used years ago. I had a Hiline once and really couldn’t decide if it better than the standard interconnect. I kept it until it started to fall apart then got rid of it.

2 Likes

Agree
Hicap DR+powerline now, my idea.

1 Like

I sometimes wonder if Chord’s Signature / Sarum t will be a significant improvement, compared to my current Hiline …

I would struggle to go back on my SL interconnect. It’s the only upgrade/change that has made my wife sit-up and notice the improvement instantly. :persevere:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.