SN3 channel balance at low volume

Speaker swap test completed,same result,so speaker is ok,cabling is ok,so has to be amps pot characteristic ? That’s fine,not having balance control on my previous amp ,I just wasn’t used to it,at least there’s not a fault with any of my set-up !Thanks all for advice/suggestions.

Hi @Lorro1, thank you for taking the time to do the assessment. I have re-assessed my own system again and just like yourself rule out my speakers and cabling etc. I thought back to my time with the SN2 and only ever had to use the balance control to ensure that I had the correct speaker channels connected - I could flip to the left to ensure I had connected the left speaker to the left channel (my amp and NDX2 is in a cupboard as opposed to the room where my speakers are).

Nothing else has changed except the SN3 replacing the SN2 but connected exactly the same with the same cables.

I re-read your description of the left channel not having as much body as the right and realise that I have a similar situation.

With the balance control at 12 and the volume at zero I started to increase the volume gradually. It starts as right channel only and then slowly the left comes in and then reaches roughly the same level as the right but this is at a fairly high volume level compared to the described ‘ALPS characteristic’ Which should equalise at a very low volume.

I played several tracks and increased the volume even further. I found that the balance shifted slightly to the left (confirmed with mono recording of Ray Charles) as the volume got higher.

I realise that during my 4 weeks of ownership of the SN3, I am constantly adjusting the balance at different listening levels - this cannot be right so I will let Naim have the amp back and replace it.

Hi Bjm,I think your right,maybe the right thing to do is see what my dealer thinks,second opinion,and if he finds the same result,ask for replacement.I’m booked in for an RP10 audition anyway,so two birds with one stone !
Thanks for sharing your findings,it’s nice to know I wasn’t imagining things.

Hi @Lorro1, good luck and let’s keep each other informed of progress.

Will do . :+1:

I decided that I could not live with the problem so my dealer returned my SN3 to Naim a few weeks ago.
Naim are replacing the amp with a brand new one which should arrive tomorrow.

1 Like

Replacement has arrived, connected to NDX2 and sounding great! However, at very low volumes the bias is now to the left!
May need SN3 number 3!

Enjoy the privilege and don’t obsess…

As I posted earlier in the thread, it’s a characteristic of the ALPS pot. It’s at such a low level though that it should make no difference. By the time you get to even a fairly low listening level any slight imbalance in the pot should be gone and by then other factors such as the room etc… will have a much greater impact, hence the balance pot as well.

2 Likes

As reported in another thread, I have now exhausted all tests and can rule out cables, source etc.
If it was OK at all volumes bar very low then I would be happy regardless of where I had to place the balance control-even fully right! I could live with adjusting the balance at whisper quiet levels but find that I need to adjust at a lot of volume settings.
I did not experience these problems with my SN2 or XS2 which both had the ALPs volume control. It would have been a big problem if it was there on the XS2 as this did not have a balance control.
I hope that this can be sorted as I am otherwise very happy with the amp and have no wish to explore alternatives.

1 Like

Thanks for the update BJM. Hopefully your dealer will get it sorted out for you swiftly.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.