SN3 - DAC choices?

Coaxial

2 Likes

Had an RME ADI-2 fs v2 (AKM4493 version) and it worked well into my SN3.

Upgraded to Qutest and that improved things. Upgraded Qutest PS to a Plixir Elite BDC And that improved things a LOT.

Currently using a GAIA DDC to feed my Qutest and its sublime.

2 Likes

I’ve only had the Naim DAC for an hour or so, so hardly exhaustive listening, but of my two digital sources I’d say that streaming from a Bluesound Vault there is a decent uptick in SQ, whereas CD from a Marantz doesn’t really benefit much.

Early days.

Edit: I’ve just done a bit more A/B between Bluesound Vault’s own DAC and the Naim DAC, and I’d say there’s actually very little in it.

Mmmm. . .

2 Likes

Source and DAC would be the higher-end 12G SDI BNC cables from Belden (4794R and 4731R) and Canare (L8 CUHD)

Canare makes true 75r BNC-RCA adapters. These had a runaway victory over my $400 USD WireWorld digital cable, at a fraction of the cost. Break in takes a week.

1 Like

SPDIF is either optical (aka Toslink) or electrical via coaxial cable. Naim sources are generally optimised around the latter, and it’s worth seeking out a decent quality 75 Ohm BNC terminated cable. If you’re feeling flush you can get a Naim DC1 for £300 or so, but I found far cheaper cables from Gotham and Mark Grant to work just as well.

1 Like

I used to have DC1 I in a previous system (SPDIF converter to Nova), but currently I can’t see a function for it, unless I’m missing something. Neither my CD player or Bluesound Vault have a BNC output, so the BNC on the DAC can’t connect to anything.

Would a DIN connection be preferable to the current RCA from DAC to SN3?

As stated above, I’m not too convinced by the Naim DAC’s advantages. Playing a CD, the Marantz directly into thr SN3 sounds better, though there is a small improvement using the nDAC with my Bluesound Vault, mostly with ripped content more than Qobuz.

I’m using a coax between Vault and DAC.

You can get a DC1, like most cables, terminated with either BNC or RCA plugs to suit the output you have. In theory BNC is preferable but I doubt the difference would be huge.

3 Likes

That’s an interesting finding. I bought my nDAC as an upgrade to my CD5XS, which is, partly, how it was promoted when it was introduced. I found the combination on a par with CDX2 and, for my musical tastes, slightly preferable. That was into a SN1/HC.

Perhaps the DAC needs a service, perhaps the digital out of the Marantz is lacking in some way, perhaps the Marantz is simply better than the CD5, perhaps it comes down to individual taste. Whatever the explanation, it’s your ears that are key and I wouldn’t hesitate to move it on if you’re not getting joy from it.

Roger

3 Likes

Thanks Roger. All good points. And worth considering before I decide to keep or move on.

The Marantz is a mid range SA8005, and I was expecting an uptick in SQ with the nDAC, but I’m not hearing it.

As you say, a service may be worthwhile. I live nearby to Class A territory, so will give them a call in the morning for their thoughts/advice.

Canare makes a $7 USD BNC->RCA adapter that is a true 75r.

2 Likes

I’ve had the nDAC (a 2011 model) less than a day and I’m warming (slightly) to its charms, at least with music from Qobuz and my Bluesound Vault. As mentioned previously, I was/am underwhelmed by what it offers when connected to my Marantz SA8005 for CD only play.

The differences when spinning a disc are, to my ears, imperceptible. Whereas with Qobuz and ripped content there is a palpable opening up of the sound, not particularly a lift in detail retrieval, but a fuller more etched in sound, if that makes any sense whatsoever.

To give it a fair outing in my system, what are the obvious ways to enhance and maximise its potential, in ascending order of cost?

DIN cable?
BNC inteconnects?
A service?
Power supply?

1 Like

I found that a Hi-line, Powerline and DC1 cable all gave a nice performance uplift. However, trying so many different transports on the DAC, this made a greater difference in obtaining that elusive jump to fooling you into thinking you’re hearing the music for real rather than recorded replay. For me, the one that did this best was the Meridian 200. It was immediately noticeable that the music suddenly could make the hairs on my arms stand on end, so real did it sound in places. There may well be others out there that do similar or perhaps even better, however, so many (the various Philips mech equipped Marantzes, Rotels, Arcams etc…) were all very alike and while perfectly fine, were a definite step or two down and didn’t get the arm hairs pricking to the same degree. A step further down from them were a pair of big beautifully finished Sony ES players that sounded like the musicians were playing through treacle, and worst by far were a couple of inexpensive consumer DVD players. Had I not heard the performance with the Meridian up front I probably would have been quite happy, and thought the DAC was good but not capable of mixing it in the upper league. Having the Meridian up front totally changed that. It may be that this Meridian example is just a rather good one though, as another one I have wasn’t quite at the same level, but the point is that the transport is the most important part of the chain here and no amount of changes elsewhere can improve that.

4 Likes

That’s a really interesting insight and very helpful as I plot a path forward.

Thanks Richard.

1 Like

I’ve found this as well. It took me time to acquire all 3 but each step was noticeable. I think I was most surprised by the powerline. I’m with PeakMan as I’m a little surprised by your findings Charles64 with your CD player. I don’t use mine often (Oppo 105) but digital out into my nDAC is def a step up.

1 Like

Me too, but Richard’s comments above make sense.

I wonder what other transports could work wonders, too.

Great question but to be honest I’ve ripped most of the CD’s I care about and I stream 95% of the time and really enjoy it.

2 Likes

Ahh the Meridian 200! That was my source for many years and my son is still using it. By the time I got my nDAC, it had already departed to his house, so I never got a chance for a transport shootout with the CD5XS. The Meridian seems to go for a song now and makes a fine bargain if in good condition.

Roger

1 Like

Roger, it’s worth trying, although as I say one I have is a precisely superior to another. I’m not sure why apart from sample variance.

Mmm, I only have one Powerline at present, at that’s attached to the SN3. Wonder if there’s anything to be gained from swapping it out with the nDAC?

I have to say I’m pretty unsure about whether to keep the nDAC.

If it’s the case that neither of my transports - CD and streamer - are up to the complementary task in hand in, then my decision to let go of it might be made. That or source better transports.

1 Like

It’s super easy to try. IIRC I think I liked the Powerline on the nDAC better than the SN3. I have them on both now but I took baby steps (1 at a time) to get where I’m at now.

Super easy to swap the cords.

2 Likes