SN3 faulty- return to Naim- AR A60 stand in advice needed

I would really appreciate some advice please!
My current set up is an SN3 Hicap DR powering preamp, Stageline powered from SN3 (Krystal mc cart)
Unfortunately the transformer hum issue on the SN3 is sending me insane- I have religiously followed all the excellent advice collated here (including the purchase of two different dc blockers- made no difference) but it continues unabated. It is audible at 6m- my ears and I’m old!
I have spoken to a Naim technical advice and it needs to go back to Salisbury via my dealer

I don’t fancy the prospect of 6w with no music- I’m mainly a vinyl user but have a streaming set up too.
I have purchased a beautiful A and R Cambridge A60 to use in the meantime- chosen because I have always liked them but also because they use din sockets. I thought it would be easy…

However - I am completely confused as to how to connect my stageline to the tuner input. ( if I had an mc cart could use the disc input)
I can use the hicap dr to power the stageline but what lead will I need from the Hicap/stageline to the amp?
I am not sure if the din configuration of the a60 is the same as Naim’s?
Perhaps someone has done this before- and understands din configurations because I certainly don’t!
Any help/advice much appreciated
Jonathan

You should be able to use a standard Naim 4-5 interconnect cable to connect Hicap socket 3 to the A60’s tuner input. The Stageline will be powered from Hicap socket 4 via a SNAIC5.

The Tuner socket is recessed on the A60 so you’ll need to wind the collar back on the DIN5 plug to give adequate clearance.

3 Likes

Thanks James- given my description of my set up (I have no other connectors) I think that means I will need to purchase a 4-5 lead as I won’t be using one currently?
Jonathan

1 Like

Yes you’ll need to acquire one. I would ask your dealer if you can loan one just to check all is well first as they are about £125 or so new.

3 Likes

Will do
And the pin configurations are the same for Naim and A60? I’ve looked at a schematic and I’m not sure tbh…
Hence my anxiety!

They should be standard DIN5 wiring - but I would borrow a cable to be sure.

2 Likes

Yes - that sounds like a plan!

The source input DIN5s should be wired the same on the A60 as on Naim kit.

3 Likes

Don’t worry, the A60 will be fine with a standard Naim type DIN plug. Mine is still going strong after nearly 40 years, in use with a pair of Royds of similar vintage.
I would guess that a genuine Naim DIN would cost almost as much as a used A60 so for short term use maybe a cheaper non-Naim cable would be acceptable!

2 Likes

I see you have a Qutest DAC. Do you feed that to the SN3 via RCA-DIN. If so you could try that into the Tuner input as a test, but as @Richard.Dane and @ChrisSU confirm, the wiring is the same on both Naim and A60.

1 Like

Yes- that’s a great idea- thanks @Richard.Dane for confirming the din configuration too
Have a lovely day!

Just be sure not to plug into the DIN for the Phono input (assuming it’s not one of the last A60s that moved to RCA Phonos for the phono input).

1 Like

Thank you for the warning
Here’s a picture of the inputs for the a60

1 Like

OK, looks like it’s not one of the late ones, although I do note it looks to have had an AP mod where the AUX input is replaced by a pre out/power in socket. This usually requires a link plug to be fitted so the A60 can be used as an integrated amp. Do you have the link plug?

4 Likes

@Richard.Dane - yes I do have the link plug-

Thank you for all your help

2 Likes

Lovely amp , the old A60. True classic.

3 Likes

It really is I agree.
I was looking to buy a nait 1 or 42/110 but the cost is prohibitive. I dare say that they are a bit better, but for a stand in amp an A60 is really good value. Weirdly I’m excited to move from a 3.5k amp to a one costing very little!
Albeit temporarily.

1 Like

Think you may be very surprised at the performance of the amp considering!
I had a CD5si CD player last year and sold it on as it wasnt getting used much and I needed some quick cash.Lovely player.
End of last year I bought an Arcam Alpha CD player off Ebay to play a few CDs that I wasnt able to stream.
It knocked my socks off with its sound quality. Build is nowhere near Naim but the sound quality is a fag paper away.

2 Likes

That’s interesting- some of this older kit is really very good. The one I’ve purchased has had a complete rebuild as it is a 1980 model.

As a visual match for my 1983 LP12 an A60 is waaaay nicer than an SN3😎

Standby for updated system pics when the sn3 goes for its holiday in Salisbury!

3 Likes

Look forward to your opinion of your foster amp!

1 Like