SN3 faulty- return to Naim- AR A60 stand in advice needed

I don’t know what it is but I had always had a bit of a thing for the A60 - it just looked so cool with the teak cabinet design!! A lovely old amp for sure, I too await with interest your impressions of it!

There’s a real resurgence of 70’s styling in Hi-fi at the moment I think which I suspect started when JBL put out those really retro loudspeakers with the orange foam grilles! It seems they’ve now followed up with the JBL SA750 integrated with its huge toggle switches and wooden side panels, Cambridge Audio are in on the act with some of their lifestyle products, Mission have the 770’s.

Maybe the time is right for Naim to issue a 50th anniversary Nait in either chrome bumper or olive in a shoebox design lol!!!

2 Likes

I agree- I really like some of the retro styled products but overall prefer the original - provided it’s been serviced etc. It’s difficult because the modern electronics are likely to be better, especially speakers, but there’s nothing like owning a genuine slice of history!
I will let you know my thoughts when it’s all wired up etc.
What happens if I prefer the sound of the a60 to the SN3?!?!?
Cross that bridge if we come to it I guess…

1 Like

Rrp for an a60 in 1980 was about £195
That’s £771 in todays money or 20% approx of a new SN3

You’d be quids in.
SQ is your personal pleasure. :+1:t2:

1 Like

£164 for mine, in 1978.

1 Like

The one I have is black- I actually prefer the lighter wood and it matches my lp12 better - but I believe that the black was a fiver more- although cannot verify that

I was thinking that there was a black version… :thinking:

1 Like

Er…keep the A60 in your system!
Move the Naim on and buy some music.
Surely your ears should be the final arbiter, not your eyes…or this forum.

2 Likes

Yes- that is the correct answer!
Of course it won’t be an exact like for like comparison as I will be powering the stageline with the HCDR as opposed to the SN3
Not sure what my wife would think if I confessed that imho a £250 42 year old amp sounds preferable to £5k worth of Naim kit!! :thinking:

Well, as I said above, my £100 Arcam sounds m just as good as my previous £900 Naim CD player.

1 Like

Don’t worry, I have at least three A60s and have had many more than that in the past. They’re nice enough amps - lovely in their way - but ultimately no match for pretty much any Naim amp you care to mention, let alone a SN3

1 Like

My sn2 went into my dealer on Thursday so I feel your 6 weeks pain :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

I thought of getting another amp and the A60 was one I had a long time ago and saw one up for sale however
I have been using my stax L700 with 006ts kimik set up and forgot how amazing this sounds so not all bad !
Hope you get the amp sorted it’s a race now to see whose arrives back first :grimacing:
All the best
Tony

1 Like

Thanks for the reassuring words Richard - I’m sure you will be proven right!
The A60 is a lovely bit of hifi history.

Oh no! Sorry to hear that Tony.
Mine is only “booked in” currently so I expect you will be reunited before I am!

He he mine is at the dealers waiting to go in I’ve not heard anymore than that so the clock starts ticking when they contact me to say it has a slot ah well
They say patience is a virtue :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

I had a A60 from new in the early 80’s, I sold it recently as it wasn’t getting any use - I had a Uniti2 that was way better. I’ve since replaced the Uniti2 with a Star, which is better again. But an A60 is a lovely amp if you have use for one.

2 Likes

Update: email this morning from my dealer- SN3 allocated a slot for repair - w/c 4/2/23 to be sent to Salisbury.

A60 will be set up shortly.

Even when my sn3 returns- hopefully no longer making this terrible hum- I will keep my A60 as it’s a lovely bit of hifi with personal and historical importance. Even if I don’t use it, it’s rather like a number of film 35mm SLR’s that I have collected and appreciate enormously, even if they don’t get used very often.

2 Likes

No news here :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

Need to chase up that dealer! Maybe they are too excited about the New Classics at present?

Hi Endon
First job tomorrow I will be on the phone :no_mouth:
If you don’t mind me asking when did you drop your sn3 off ?
Thanks
Tony