SN3/NDAC/ProAc D2R

No, it hasn’t. I spoke to Darren at Class A and he said it shouldn’t need a service yet. Though maybe it would help.

No, though I am actively looking at options for one or both. What are the best sound for pound models to go for?

I’ve looked on eBay at recent and much older Naim units and I’m not quite sure where to head?

SN3 or DAC first if I was to buy just one power supply?

Thanks.

So using this as a transport, as I am currently with the Vault, into the Naim DAC?

I used to have an Innuos Zenith MK3 and that was very impressive, and from memory more pleasurable than the Vault. The G1 often seems to get a mention as an alternative to Innuos, though of course the latter has more functionality.

If I went back to Innuos I could sell the Vault, of course. No need to duplicate the same functions.

Further complicating things I am also intrigued by adding an ND5XS2 to my list of possibles. Presuming this would be good partnering with DAC & SN3.

I’d ditch the QED for some Naca or Chord Odyssey.

2 Likes

Yes adding a ND5XS2 is a very good option. I’m clearly biased as I have this combo. I had the outstanding ND5XS2 before adding a second hand nDAC.

3 Likes

Yes, it’s becoming a big temptation.

Also, the Auralic is in the mix, though I’m getting mixed up between Aries or Altair G1. Will need to read up on the differences.

Edit: it’s the Aries that would work as a transport.

1 Like

I know it’s tempting to make changes (most of us have been there) but I’d advise to slow down and wait a week or so until your SN3 is burned in etc. In the meantime check the “free” things like cables being tight, speaker placement (Proac recommends toe-in with the side of the speaker barely visible) equipment on solid shelving. I’d also see if you can borrow some NACA5 cables. I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed mine after using Transparent cabling before.

4 Likes

An XPS is a really nice upgrade on the DAC.

I can’t speak directly to the SN3, but I will never use my SN1 without a power supply upgrade again.
I currently use a Hi-Cap and that was a really nice upgrade in my setup. You could also try a SuperCap.

If you can, I’d recommend getting a temporary power supply for a trial run in your system to determine if it’s a worthwhile upgrade for your setup.

1 Like

@charles64. My understanding is the BS Vault is an all in one kind of device. I think you’d be better off with a NAS such as a Synology on your home network and stream your files to a Aeries G1 >DAC>SN3
And the G1 does Qbuz and Tidal natively and internet radio, also think it can be. Roon endpoint I’m sure @Simon-in-Suffolk would know

Yes, the BS Vault seems to be a locked in universe.

It wasn’t a purchase of mine, but was gifted to me, so I’ve decided to use it to rip a large stack of discs that weren’t already on another ext drive.

To be honest, I am now a little stuck with it, and it doesn’t feel right to simply move it on. My own choice would probably be to return to Innuos or go with an ND5XS2 to feed my DAC/SN3.

I am not familiar with the Aries G1.1, however according to their marketing info the product supports receiving streams from the Tidal, Qobuz and Spotify.

1 Like

This is very salient advice!

I’ve had a few days of blindly searching for things to cure the problem - looking online and ringing dealers re: cables, streamers, power supplies, speakers! - but thankfully to no avail.

I’ve calmed down, and started to simply savour what I’ve currently got.

Whether it’s SN3 burn in, my ears adjusting, tidying the mass and mess of cables, powering all down and reconnecting everything, things are starting to sound good.

Good enough for me to take stock and start to appreciate where I am with recent acquisitions.

I’m looking forward to adding a streamer and maybe a power supply or two in the future, but not yet.

6 Likes

I would borrow first some Naca5 or Which Hat from a dealer. QED is probably not a good choice with Naim and Proac.

4 Likes

I’ve got some coming later this week from a helpful dealer. So, I’ll be able to see what they bring.

Will report back my findings.

Thanks.

3 Likes

Hope the issue is that :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

My dealer kindly dropped off some NACA5 (with Naim jumpers, too) first thing this morning.

It’s some old ex demo cable, so burn in not an issue. I’ve had it running all day and all I can say is what a positive difference.

The only issue is the inflexibility of the cable itself, which took a little bit of contorting to get in place.

First impressions: very good indeed. The dealer says they are a freebie, too!

Maybe that’s what I’m hearing, the lovely sound of gratis cables.

12 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.