SN3/NDX2...and after?

I suppose consumers will drive that change. As long as people are buying all the boxes then Naim will sell them. If people start turning to rivals, all in ones/ streamer pre’s / integrated’s then they may change what they do. I am choosing not to invest in all the separate gear because I predict this change will happen sooner or later. I personally want to avoid that upgrade ladder at all costs. Too many on this forum seemingly are unsatisfied until they reach their financial ceiling. I would really like a SN2+NDX2 but I fear it will be a slippery slope with all the power supplies etc.

1 Like

I currently have the same system, though SN2. I added the Superlumina interconnect and cables and added Powerlines to each box. Then I added a Fraim Lite, mainly because I moved the system to a new room and needed a rack. All of those have made great differences and I’d recommend those before swapping any boxes. My next, and last move, is jumping to a 252/SC/250.

5 Likes

Spot on engjoo

I have a system based around the SN3 ( LP12 CD5XS) and I must say it’s pretty damn good

I’m fortunate to have another System in another location based around LP12/ 252/SCDR/250DR. Yes it’s better and so it should be, as you say I skipped the other pres and powers .

The SN3 is a marvellous product and may well go down in Naim history as one of the good ones

8 Likes

I like my configuration quite a lot, the desire to improve it is the logical progression of a hobby as addicting as the pleasure of listening to music in the best conditions. I have some money to spend, but no living room to clutter up!

Having a wall of black boxes would take away part of this pleasure in opposition to the simple and pure pleasure of the auditory emotion … too much visible technique kills the emotion, and at what cost and what clutter!

Indeed, my future path could turn away from Naim for this reason, being able not to encumber myself with a multitude of more or less homogeneous combinations that it is very difficult to test before … unless Naim can offer us a Supernait 300 !!

But I respect the choices of the madmen of the black box :wink:

2 Likes

This. I think it’s important to remember that there is no final holy grail. I see many with top-of-the-line Naim boxes and there’s still talk of upgrading or not being entirely satisfied. Where does it end? Answer: It doesn’t; not without a whole lot of self-control or coming to the realization that enough is enough, and that no matter how great you upgrade a system you’ll always be pining for more performance. Just my opinion, but it’s based on years of being on this road and more importantly, observing that this is the main quandary fora-wide with this hobby, so there must be something to it.
Of course, this is philosophical in response, rather than really answering the question.

7 Likes

I have to say that the multiple box scenario is why I went for a Nova.

2 Likes

You have to look at the marketing strategy. More boxes basically means more Fraim shelves and more money spent.

Separating the boxes does provide isolation of power supplies from the sensitive signal paths of the preamp and sources.

Personally, I like my stack of 10 boxes on Fraim. However it dominates the room and is not to everyone’s tastes.

If Naim produced an integrated amp the equivalent of a 252, Supercap, 250DR it would be very large, to allow for the isolation of power supplies and sensitive signal paths of the pre.

Other companies producing high quality integrated amps end up with huge heavy boxes. It then becomes another problem moving a 60kg box!

There are options other than Naim, but for me I am very happy at the moment with my stack of boxes. Lol :laughing:

2 Likes

It’ll be interesting to see which direction Naim takes in future. They must be aware of the demand for low box count systems. They must also be aware of the constant tightening up of energy efficiency regulations. Who knows, perhaps they will follow Chord, Linn and others and start using switching power supplies instead of big bulky linear supplies.

2 Likes

I thought, internally, they already did.

Rega’s Osiris come in at about 25-28 kg. I owned that and the Isis before I sold them to fund a property purchase.

I think it’s only seriously expensive integrateds that tend to come in at excess of say 30kg plus.

Mind you that said Musical Fidelity have a £5k one at 45kg ish. Far too heavy for a weedy guy like me. Fraim balls flying everywhere.

I just happened to notice quite a few integrateds reading through the Hifi mags yearbooks. Krell, Hegel , Copland and Norma being just a few examples. None of these would be considered a poor man’s pre/power.

Well I hope it does give Naim some food for thought, because I think it could generate some definite interest here.

If they can make the Nova, 272 and the SN3 etc work well built on compromise, why not the newly christened Referencenait ? You heard it here first!

2 Likes

Only to keep the new streamers discoverable in standby mode when the main linear PSU is powered down. Once the unit is powered up, the little SMPS is turned off.

1 Like

I’m guessing here that it’s because that’s even ‘more’ compromise and this is not Naim’s way, hence the separate boxes, the further up the line you go.

1 Like

It was just an alternative thought for those uncomfortable with black box-itis .

I kinda miss the two box simplicity of my Rega Isis/Osiris set up many years ago.

Rega aren’t interested in streaming though hence the move back to Naim. Both companies provide excellent back up service, which is why I choose to stick with them.

No harm in mixing and matching brands these days compared to the past, so maybe I will have to consider one of the other super-integrateds at some later point, but that is a long way off at present anyway.

Certainly not mentioned to diss Naim in anyway.

We already have the two box be end all - NDX 2/SN3?

1 Like

I was thinking a little more high end than that, which the Isis/Osiris delivered in 2 boxes, but yes no question the Naim pairing is a superb combo.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.