SN3 plus ? Vs Nova

I had a Nova (I loved that thing) and while planing an upgrade, I demoed a SN3/Chord Qutest or Hugo 2 (don’t remember). The difference wasn’t huge to my ears with B&W speakers.
I tried a SN3/NDX 2 vs Nova and the difference wasn’t very important (to my ears). The only time when the NDX2 shined and outperformed the other combinaisons was when it was connected to another amp (non-Naim amp).

I think the Nova is a wonderful all-in-one (even when compared to more expensive systems). It can please a majority of listeners when paired with the right speakers. So my modest advise : keep the Nova, it’s hard to beat if you are not planing to invest a lot more.

5 Likes

I think that is a perfect statement if you are just looking for a wonderful home stereo set up to enjoy.

I think a lot of us started out with that in mind. My journey began with a Nait XS 2 with a ND5 XS and was over the moon when I first got it home.

Although at the beginning it was not intended, the journey continued…

4 Likes

We still have the Nova, it’s lovely and isn’t going anywhere. For the main system, it’s been through a few iterations now, starting at the NDX2/SN3 and now a NDX2/555PS/552/300. The NDX2 is one box that can take you through many upgrades, so is a pretty solid choice. With the amplification, it’s just a case of how far do you want to go, and then try and take as few steps as possible to get there. Always enjoy the music first and the journey second.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.