SN3 Standby?

The Unitis can be set to go into standby, where they are powered only by a small SMPS, while remaining discoverable on the network. It’s very clever and works really well.

Oh dear - I didn’t mean to cause trouble!

Re research - when I typed in the topic theme, there were only 2 similar topics highlighted, so I assumed that was all. I wasn’t trying to be lazy - honest!

As per looking up the details on the Naim site, the given figure of 37va would not have meant much to me without further Googling - so yes, I was probably being a bit lazy here.

HH - the reason I raised this issue is precisely because I have long since adopted all your excellent suggestions re power saving - led lights, low temp wash cycles etc. So, if you like, I am now scraping the barrel looking at whether highly marginal savings are worth pursuing. Would the SN3 “on” really cost about £330 per annum at the new rates? That sounds a tad scary - have I misunderstood?

Again, thank you everyone for you input - I’m still unsure what to do - but am now a tad wiser.

Half that, as I was doubling up to include an XPS.

I switch my XS3, NDX and hicap-DR off except when using, makes zero difference to SQ, so switch off, save energy and don’t worry😁

3 Likes

8766 hours per year * 0.037kw = 324kwh per year * your kwh cost. That’s in idle mode though. Not sure what the consumption is when playing.

I’ve ordered one of these energy meters to measure my system inactive, active etc and of course other things in the house to get some energy awareness which I think is healthy these days. It will be a crazy expensive winter for sure.

I agree as far as the winter is concerned. And it’s not just about cost these days. Our energy supply isn’t as secure as it was only one year ago.

1 Like

Using Slamdam’s helpful figures, at the present level of 29p per kwh, my SN3 would be £93 per year, my JL Audio sub would be £127 per year.

If projections are correct, these figures will likely double in the next few months.

Ouch!

Yes with the cost of electricity now everything quickly adds up. That’s ONE box in idle mode. Many here have 3-4-6 boxes on all the time. And as you say, this fall and winter will not be a nice one for sure if the gas is shut off to Europe… In Estonia they peaked 3GBP per kwh few hours daily recently…

1 Like

When young I had all my boxes on 24/7.

With age difference is much less detected.

I always turn off when out and nights.

Maybe try with poweamp off if you have separates.

Let’s remember that when a Naim box is idle or on standby, the only way to dissipate energy is heat and the logo light (probably heat in a bigger proportion).

This is heat that will be saved to the house heating system. I would therefore say that leaving a Naim system on 24/7 is reasonable and convenient, except in the summertime.

On the other hand, if you switch off your Naim, you can buy a new box every 10-20 years.

For me, the decision is easy.

1 Like

Our main entertainment power guzzler is a Pioneer Plasma TV in the lounge. It’s an oldie, but still works fine so I’m reluctant to replace just yet - it only get used for about 2hrs each evening though.

A quick back of the envelope calculation shows my whole Hi-Fi system idles at ~ 35w, which includes the Innous PhoenixNET and Roon Nucleus. Luckily, both the Linn KDSM and Devialet have low power standby modes when idle and come up to full performance nice and quickly when I want to use them.

Interesting times :flushed:

Naim have a new range (!) out soon, which will double as electric heaters…

According to OFGEM electricity cap is currently 28p per KWH going up to 52p on 1st October. I wish my rate was as good as yours.

One of the worst offenders are tumble dryers. We only use ours occasionally. A ‘B’ rated tumble dryer will cost about £150 per year depending on usage (that is based on 28p per KWH; £278 per year from October)

We have an A++ heat pump tumble dryer that we use only in the winter when it’s impossible to get stuff dry on the line. These things are all good, so long as you can afford them. The people who need to make savings on energy the most probably can’t afford the high tech appliances that help make it possible. It’s a real challenge.

1 Like

Yes quite agree. I made a formal complaint to John Lewis. They show typical annual electricity costs. When you press the i logo it says assuming 10p per hour. They refused to change the 10p saying it was up to customers to work it out. Clearly a customer would get his money back in less than a year if he/she upgraded to a standard A++ from a B tumble dryer. I said by giving more accurate information you would save customers money and sell more expensive tumble dryers!!!

1 Like

I have some tubes preamps and poweramps, so I am served when I need another heating device.

2 Likes

I had to look up what a heat pump tumble drier was. I had never heard of them - sounds interesting.

Please excuse me for asking this question but I hope someone knows the answer.

I’ve just bought an XPS to power my NDX2. The latter is set to go into standby after an hour, just like it was when I used it without a PS. As the XPS stays on, obviously, does the NDX2 going into standby actually save any power? When it was by itself, there was an audible click when it came out of standby and now there isn’t, so I wonder exactly what’s going on.

When I used it with a PS a while ago I didn’t have it set to go into standby, assuming that it didn’t work.

In short, i dont know for sure. But, my xpsdr stays warm, which suggests current is flowing somewhere when the ndx2 is in standby.
When connected to the xpsdr, the ndx2 cant go into s/by with its smps, it still relies on the lps of the xpsdr. So, whilst it may use less power, nowhere near what it would have used with its own ps.

1 Like

My ndx2/xpsdr uses 24 watts when ndx2 is off and 27watts when on. I do have an usb drive inserted, however I suspect that makes no difference as the power saving smps in the ndx2 is effectively bypassed by the xps

1 Like