SN3 vs 282/HiCapDR/250DR

I’m surprised there isn’t this thread yet.
I went from a NDX/SN2 to a 272/250DR to a UQ2 into a naim dac, nac72, HiCapDR, 250DR.

Now wondering - sell the lot and get a NDX2/SN3? Or save up for a 282.

TBH - I’ve had a 282 before and didn’t miss it much when I went from a 282 to a 72…

1 Like

I recently moved from 272/250DR to NDX2 282/HCDR 250DR.

It really is a significant step ‘up the ladder’.

G

1 Like

Is the NDX2 significantly better than a UQ2/Naim Dac?

Probably not is what I’m guessing…

I only ever used the Ndac XPS with the NDX and, imho, the NDX2 XPSDR beats it.

G

Much has been written about the relevant performance of the 282vs 272 and the only conclusion is no conclusion. Ostensibly the 282/250 as a 3 box configuration is going to provide the greater musical experience over the SN3 but you really need an extensive demo if for no other reason to justify to yourself that £8k for the separates is worth the outlay.

Regards,

Lindsay

1 Like

For a low box count, an NDX2 with an XPS DR into a SN3 will be hard to beat. The source first approach will show the results, provided amplification is enough for the speakers.

2 Likes

You could consider the 202/200 too if you are thinking of the SN3.

2 Likes

I’m running a nd555/552/500 - so this is for a second system (which will get a lot of use)…
Should optimize for low box count.

Nova, or SN2 and NDX2, depending on budget, would be me. I have a Nova in my second system.

Or even just the bare NDX2 and SN3. I am really happy with mine.

4 Likes

Certainly, best 2 box option!

2 Likes

I’m very curious about these combo’s as well. Dream system either way w/Titan 505’s not sure which system would be a better match(I can’t demo easily). Hopefully not too much of a “mullet”

Yeah - that’s the thing - in my second system - I’ll probably have to spend a little too much to either go up to a 282 instead of a 72 (with marginal gains) or to go a NDX2/SN3.

UQ2/NaimDac/72/Hicap/250 sounds amazing - specially when I use a Rega RP6 I to the 72. If I sell the whole thing off - I’ve probably paid of 60% of the cost of a NDX2/SN3 - and taken a step down probably sound wise…

Your second system would be my first system! lol

1 Like

what cable do you use between the UQ and the NDAC?

I would keep the system as it is…

Just the Naim bnc - bnc cable. Yeah / doing nothing…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.