(SN3 vs Uniti Nova) + Focal Kanta No. 2

I just don’t think you can use price to arrive at a musically satisfying system anymore than technical measurements. If we go back a few years, well quite a few, the Nap 250 was the top of the pile and thought to be the solution for the Linn Isobariks, then along came the 135s and active etc. I know I always return to this but at the last Bristol show one of the best sounds by a pretty consensus view was the Kudos 505s driven by the Nova. Based on that I can think of no reason why a Star and Kantas shouldn’t be great. Equally at a show I went to later that year a full on ND555/552/500/Dyna Confidence was torture.

@anon4489532 has it right in that the OP should try and listen to as many options as possible.

Regards,

Lindsay

5 Likes

I used Kanta 2 in the past. Wonderful choice. The speakers are relatively easy to drive and the SN3 perfectly suites them

Iver

3 Likes

Dear FR,

I do have a fault (one of many) that the Kanta Series of speakers are definite eye candy. Which I can see myself chilling out in front of. I will have pleasure the sense of sight as well as sound. It is reasurring in both ways.

No I do not have the money for either at the moment. I have PTSD, depression, anxiety and OCD which forum members are currently putting up with. After almost being killed on the job four times, hospitalised thrice. My psychiatrist calls it “Dream Building”. Some thing that I can nut out and enjoy the research and the final product which returns joy from the process, “listening”.

I am no longer employed and am living off a pay out which is ever decreasing. The joy of music is a wonderful outlet/inlet. I do not consider myself an audiophile though I am learning more each day. Especially with this and other forums. I tease out the gnat with out swallowing the camel.

I truly enjoy my current NAIM HIFI system though am feeling tired of the lack of the bottom end from the Celestion SL6Si speakers which are now 32 years old. Though they do play vocals extremely well.

I wish to take baby steps financially in the correct direction to cause minimum cost of trade ins down the track. The Kanta 1 speakers maybe not the answer, I will listen and find out. Though now that I know a XS2/3 can happily drive them and a SN3 even better. I will see which path I take. It is so difficult to decide.

I will have to do a listening session with my local dealer, mull it over and make a decision.

I recommend you search towards the bottom of this TOPIC where

XS3, certainly. The AV Forums reviewer uses Kanta No1 as a reference speaker- here’s his review of NAIT XS3 (including comparision to Supernait 3).

AVForums

Naim NAIT XS3 Integrated Amplifier Review

The smaller of Naim’s two new integrated amps has many of the improvements of the more expensive Supernait 3. Is this the sweetspot of the range?

There are answers here that I found favourable in my search.

I was being generalist in my comment:

XS2/3 = Uniti Star
SN3 = Uniti Nova

This was a point about output power characteristics and speaker loads. I am now satisfied with the answer.

I can safely drive the Kanta 1 with a XS2. This will free me up if I wish to purchase a ND5 XS 2 down the track.

There is no need to purchase separates as these integrated do there jobs very well.

One day I might expand into separates. Though for now I can be happy with integrated amplifiers and also to the fact my dealer will take in my second hand units to reduce the price of mew units.

With respect to price points, I do not know which dollars or pounds you are referring to.

My LinnLP12 Akurate + phono preamplifier = $14k AUD.
CD5 XS = $4k AUD (2018)
Nait XS 2 = $4k AUD (pre 2018)
FC XS + $1.8k Aud (2018)
32 year old SL6Si with speaker stands (1990) $1,6k AUD.

It has been a gradual acquirement over 32 years.

I have both beautiful CDs and LPs. Do I venture into streaming? I do not know.

Though if the Kanta No. 1 speakers do not live up to my expectation I will purchase a SN3 + HiCap or a ND5 XS 2.

Then sit quiet for a while which depends on employment opportunities to keep the house. Once that has crystallised I may look at Kanta 2 speakers again.

As my father used to say. “If you do not have a plan, any path will take you there”.

Planing ahead for a future. I am out of the dark places now to a point and into the sunlight, Though very weak. It has been a lonely dark place since 2009 until recently. Still emerging from the chrysalis.

Dear FR, your response was most welcomed and appreciated.

Warm regards,

Mitch.

6 Likes

Take care of yourself, and let the music bring you joy.

5 Likes

Clear ideas and determination will take you a long way, and I think you have both. Enjoy the journey, wherever you arrive you can start again. If possible make your mistakes, not someone else’s mistakes.

Very interesting thread, good luck.

2 Likes

Seconded. Take care @Gigantor

3 Likes

Yes, I half agree. I just wanted to say that generally, a 9k system with 6k speakers will sound worse than 3k speakers and 6k for source and amps. The max budget on speakers is not the best way to achieve an optimal system for the money.

2 Likes

I hope you the best. If you can compare at home SN3/ Hicap / Celestion and Xs3/ Sopra 1, then you will know which you prefer.

2 Likes

Take your time @Gigantor. The advise you’ve been given is sound. I was in a similar position as you recently. I’ve learned much through the experiences of others here. Regardless of your choice so should be happy that’s what matters most.

1 Like

I sort of agree. For a cost balanced system, spend 33/33/33% in source/amplification/speakers.

If the system is one box, then 50/50 electronics/speakers.

Without forgetting 10-20% in accessories.

With all the combinations and permutations of second hand opportunities, impulse purchases, dealer’s and friends’ motivation pitches…

Focus to change the box that provides less pleasure (visual, audible or other) and the system always improves.

2 Likes

You have clearly been through a heck of a lot. Nearly five years ago I ended up in an induced coma after some clown knocked me off my bike, and still live with the after effects of a multiple head injury. I got a modest compensation and used some to buy a caravan, which brings huge joy. All I can say is be cautious. As I read your very thoughtful posts I can’t help thinking that some more up to date, yet modest, speakers may be all you need. I don’t know if you can try ProAcs but something like their Response DB1 may be all you need. I’ve settled on their Tablette 10 Signature with a Supernait 3 and a really good streaming source and it’s excellent. Your LP12 is wonderful and with a good integrated and well matched musical speakers would, I think, keep you very satisfied for many more years.

3 Likes

Thank you everyone for your kind and well informed replies. I have been reading three threads and have forgotten whom mentioned that I should read this thread below.

It was an interesting read this morning.

I have gone through the specs and threads and understand views about synergy of 33/33/33 approach with respect to spreading finances over these areas, source/amplifier/speaker.

My dealer has none the speakers that have been listed here on this topic. One gentleman recommended another Naim dealer in Melbourne, Australia whom had ProAcs I believe. Though I do desire to stay with one dealer if I have any issues. My dealers has a range of speakers though I think the top enders are Sonus Faber and Focal. There are other makes there as well, B&W amongst other brands that I am not familiar with.

From posts on the forum I have learnt that the XS 2 can do the job of powering the Kanta 1. Though the synergy is missing. Thus I might be better off with a SN3 or 202/200DR. Though no doubt the sweet spot would be something like a 282/250DR plus required out board power supplies. Hicaps in the later case.

I do not have the finances to purchase $15k speakers and $20k plus of amplifiers. I can not justify it.

It maybe a case of doing nothing or purchase another amplifier as the next step in the path.

In the above thread the term “leapfrogging” was mentioned. Do I purchase a SN3 and Hicap or leapfrog to a 202/200DR/Hicap? Both are about the same dollar value.

SN3+ Hicap = $11,300 AUD (400VA max power consumption)

202 + 200DR + Hicap = $13,345 AUD (300VA transformer)

282 + 250DR + Hicap = $22,550 AUD

Option 3 is out.

Option 1 might have more muscle. System stops here. I could purchase just the SN3 for $8k and save up for a Hicap later.

Option 2 may have more delicacy and nuances. Possible future expansion upgrades. Though unlikely.

Another path maybe to keep what I have and find a suitable speaker for the XS2. Though I have been told by Naim and not my dealer that a XS 2 is more than capable of powering a Kanta 1, though no synergy.

The Kanta 1 is 4dB more efficient than my Celestion speakers and would be half the load on the amplifier.

I think I will go play some more vinyl and visit the dealer for a listening session after the Covid lock down is over.

For your replies. I do not know how to finish my thoughts on this post.

Warm regards,

Mitch.

Well four hours have passed since my last post. Possibly everybody is still in bed in Europe. GMT is 05:29 at the moment.

I have found a hiccup in purchasing separates. One I already knew of was the lack of a headphone output. I also run two sets of High quality RCA leads to the XS 2, one from the HDTV on the Tuner input and another second turntable on another line input which I have forgotten and must investigate.

If I do go down the pathway of separates then there will be the requirement for a headphone output plus two RCA inputs. There are third party cables available that convert RCA to Din which adds to the separates bill at approx $500 USD a piece, it starts to add up. Though it is a one off purchase and the expense will disappear with time.

I am now thinking before a listening session that a SN3 is high on the list with possibly the addition of a HiCap.

I have also read the advertisement information bursts again (many times) on separates on the NAIM website with respect to the builds of a separate or SN? The engineering modifications are added to dragging the most out of the source signal. Every step up the ladder is not only a power output handling performance engineering product. Though at the input there is the amplification nuances effecting the pre-amp signal to extract the most out of it.

This leads me back to the statement of 33/33/33 synergy. Even as nice it would be to replace the Celestion’s a possible upgrade from a XS 2 to a SN3 maybe on the cards after a listening session.

I am afraid that this will be and expensive baby step progress from one amplifier to another. There is the attraction to halt at a SN3 instead of going down the wormhole of separate upgrades.

Time will tell.

Thank you everybody for your time and valued replies and comments.

Warm regards,

Mitch.

2 Likes

Hi Mitch, just to note that both the Nova and SN have RCA inputs, as do the seperate pre-amps, so there’s no need for extra cables. I have the Nova and just sold my SN2 as I’ve gone to a 252/250, but either of those are very good options at their price points. Once you go to separates then you are stuck needing a separate headphone amp. The big challenge I think with separates is knowing where you want to end up and then getting there in as few steps as possible for cost efficiency :flushed:

2 Likes

Dear Mike,

From the pics on the NAIM website there are many Din connections though only two RCA connections.

I must be mistaken if you know more. Could you please send me a link?

Mitch,

1 Like

There’s two pairs on the pre-amp and you mentioned needing two for the cables you have. If you need more sources then you would need some DIN leads, but it’s not really a barrier to going separates.

There might be a left-field option for you if you are a big headphone user and are contemplating new speakers, the Atom HE and active speakers?

1 Like

I would certainly consider the SN3 as a stand alone (you could always add a Hicap at a later date but may not feel the need for it). You mention vinyl and one big advantage of the SN3 is that it has a very good MM phono stage input.

I nearly went down the separates route but realised that way was into a rabbit hole of always seeking the next rung up the chain leading to divorce and financial ruin. :grinning: So I am educating myself into enjoying what I have and my goodness I do.

9 Likes

I the US you can get a gently used 282 + hicap + 250DR for around $8,000 USD. I know a dealer who just sold a relatively new 250DR for $2.2k (it was severely scratched while removing it from a rack.)

1 Like

Amen to that. I have the SN3 by itself, without a Hicap, and feel no desire to add one. It’s very nice as a standalone amplifier. Its DR tech is more extensive than that of the SN2, so logically it would show less of an improvement from a HCDR than would a SN2.

2 Likes

Hope things improve for you

best wishes

Ian

1 Like