Snaxo

Out of curiosity really but should I decide to make my SL2s active with another pair of 135s would a standard SNAXO 2-4 (olive) be suitable or am I looking for something in particular?

Should be in HIFi Corner @Richard.Dane could you move it for me please? :+1:

Moved for you.

As you already have a pair of NAP135s then another pair would be fine along with an Olive SNAXO 2-4 - a 4 Pack!

Remember you’ll need to power the SNAXO with something, at least a Hicap, and preferably a Supercap, along with a SNAXO Burndy.

1 Like

I’d definitely be looking at a Snaxo 242. Not only younger but a significant step up in terms of sound quality over the earlier 2-4. Of course if you want to keep the 135 olive aesthetic then the 2-4 will do the job. Don’t forget you’ll need a Hicap or Supercap too though.

Edit: lol, beat me to it.

3 Likes

Thanks Richard, blonde moment there. I think I have a supercap in the loft which would help keep costs down, if so I should be OK after finding a Burndy or even a Snaic in the meantime finances depending?

How much of a step up? I’d rather stay olive but as I have a CD5XS the 242 wouldn’t be too far out of place

I find the 242 a bit less in your face than the 2-4 whilst bringing out more detail. Having said that there’s something to be said for system matching and with 135s it might be perfectly adequate. The 2-4 was a big step up from the NAXO that preceded it.

I can’t recall if the 2-4 splits amps left/right (NAXO) or bass/treble (242). The latter is preferable to avoid wanting matched amps. @Richard.Dane ??

2 Likes

Yes, the 2-4 splits amps left and right, although with a 4 pack it doesn’t really make much odds either way.

3 Likes

Thanks for that, I might keep my eyes open then and see what comes up

1 Like

Good luck. If it happens let us know how you get on.

1 Like

4 pack just sounds superb, hope you will be able to do it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Definitely encourage the move, and also the best PS you can afford on the SNAXO. HiCap to Supercap a very big uplift.

Go look in the loft!

Bruce

1 Like

Steps in this direction have been taken, watch this space :innocent:

3 Likes

Another step taken, soon adds up don’t it!!!

1 Like

Just to clarify now the deals are finalised, I have a pair of 135s and a SNAXO 2-4 on their way, some more NAC A5 too, I’m think I’ve found a second hand Burndy and a Snaic 4 so hopefully I’m good to go by next weekend
Not quite sure how I squeeze all this onto the rack though, I have a wife monitored hard limit on that :innocent:

2 Likes

Look forward to hearing how those speakers sound - they were rather good with a pair of 300drs up them here :blush:

1 Like

I’ve got high hopes, for a semi blind buy (memories of SBLs) they don’t disappoint. The tweeter is amazing what a clever idea. I’m completely sold on them now, passive to passive their not quite with the Focals (mostly different presentation I’ve become familiar with) but the potential is there for a lot more, you can hear it wanting to come out as daft as that sounds. The SNAXO I’ve bought is fresh-ish from a service in Salisbury and set for SBLs according to the paperwork so I’m hoping that won’t need much if any fiddling around with; having never had an active set up before I’m not sure how to tell if it does need it, I suppose all will be revealed.

Yes, high hopes, the change from a 250 to 135s wasn’t small, I assume 4 135s active is a bigger leap, despite being able to hear the potential it’s hard to imagine a big leap forward they’re so good now. To be honest they don’t really need to be made active, on any other day I would say end game stop but it’s an itch I’ve had for about 23 years now and this will probably be my only chance I’ll get now I’ve retired

2 Likes

SBL and SL2 SNAXO settings are the same I believe. I did not touch mine going from one to the other.

I’d let everything settle down before even contemplating adjusting the settings. if at all.

Enjoy.

Bruce

1 Like

Thanks, more than happy to live with that, the sight of electronics gives me the cold sweats!

1 Like

Soon you will be able to get everything in place, cool !
Setting up everything will take some time, especially the position of the speakers. In my small office moving them can change the sound rendering, and its more obvious in active mode.

1 Like

Question

The 135s, should I use the current ones for tweeter or bass/midrange drivers as a pair or to drive one speaker as a whole? If it were me I say the former but what do I know