So bored, I know let's build a new rack

I can quibble over lots off things if i want when i feel like its bad valve for money, i work hard for my money not to waste it where i feel i can save, but thanks for the concern.
Also i did not spend £20k on an amp, in fact like most things i do, i got the best valve i could and ended up wih a older 500 that had been DR’ed and serviced just 2 years ago, giving me an almost new 500dr but at a massive saving off 60% the price off a new unit.
Like i said i hate being ripped when i dont need to be and knowing that i have achieved the same out come, but saved thousands only makes the music even nicer.
Plus if i went out with over £20k in my pocket to buy an amp it wouldn’t be a naim 500dr

8 Likes

I think that’s probably true of a lot of us on this forum. I have two components bought new, the Snaxo 362 and one of my 250DRs. The rest of the Naim equipment was purchased second hand or ex demo. The actual total cost of my system must be well under half of the insured value. I wouldn’t have the system I have otherwise. Best buy though must be my Isobariks at £700. I dread to think how much I’d have to fork out to replace them with a modern equivalent. 808s ?

Reminds of my own mass of cables behind the AV rack and to get the SL speaker cable through it to the L/H speaker using a mix of plastic cable conduits (which also neaten it up against the white skirting board and foam pipe insulation where the R/H SL cable bends back to the speaker to take up the excess cable.

1 Like

That looks very neat Dunc. Good work. :+1:t5:

2 Likes

Any impact on SQ now the cables touch the floor which was likely not the case before?

No it sounds just the same as before and i haven’t even tried to do anything with the cables at all right now, just plugged in and run along the back. Speaker cable just shoved under the rack and is probably touching the mains cables or the 6 way block.
But no hum, speakers nice and quiet, but having said all this i probably will try and arrange them better now i am happy with the layout, but i am not expecting any difference in sound from doing it and its more just to look better if you look down the back

I think it’s just a piece of mind thing knowing that you’ve done it neatly and as best you can. Takes the ‘what if’ out of your mind.

That’s exactly what it is Rack.

1 Like

Agree 100%
But it does look much better now and just that makes things better in your head

2 Likes

Now that is a system to die for @Dunc. Is that the dCS Rossini and clock I see. I bet that sounds absolutely magical! How are you getting on with it?

1 Like

Guys, some of these awesome systems seem to have the speakers really ‘boxed in’ … with very little breathing space etc.

Unless I’m missing something, the great systems you have can’t possibly be performing at their optimal best, due to the compromised speaker positioning.

Like I said, I might be missing something but my understanding is that speakers need to be a certain distance apart and definitely from the walls etc.

Happy to be enlightened :grinning:

3 Likes

hello hungryhalibut

I think a lot of people miss the fact that the cups are 3 x point contact as opposed to possibly 360 degree under the balls with a lot of other supports.

But it all sounds the same hey ho. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Cheers dan and your right it does

1 Like

I am sure the difference is night and day lol

couldn’t tell you dunc to be honest as I haven’t compared. I am sure naim made them like that for a reason rather than just the extra machining for the sake of it :thinking:

Mr frog
The main problem with most hifi rooms is that its not a hifi room, i am lucky in that mine is the second main living room, but even then i still have to make the best off it.
When i first moved i to this room i had sbl’s running active and the speakers just didnt work anymore due to the stud wall, i tried all sorts but the bass had gone. Next i tried some sl2’s no really difference to the sbl’s, then i was offered some active ovator S600’s very cheap and gave them a try, bass was not a problem apart from just too much, they needed to be so far out in the room to tame them it was a joke and so they had to go.
This really is what i am getting at, speakers are the biggest problem and finding ones that work in you room is 100% the most important bit to get right or atleast max out as much as you can, i tried kudos 707 and 505 as i had an active set up, they didnt work, then i was told about pmc and so tried some fact 8’s i just plonked them down in the corners and they just worked and moving them in and out had very little effect, so with that i decided to try the fact 12’s and it was one off them moments and i knew i had found what worked.
Pmc speakers are apparently well know for easy placement and i can vouch for that, i have messed with placement and got them as best i can in my room, maybe it would sound even better if i had a meter or more space around them, but i don’t and can’t.
But i can tell you my system sounds absolutely amazing and i have heard many a good system in others guys homes and demo rooms etc over the years.
So anyone else struggling with speakers, try the pmc fact range they work great with naim amplifiers and are designed to be easy to place.
Cheers dunc

4 Likes

Maybe or maybe just so its different so i makes you buy them at the ridiculous price they are, whatever i shouldn’t think anyone could tell the difference in sound anyway.
But they do look nice

4 Likes

I was really surprised when I changed the positioning of my NDS from a fraimlite with Naim cups and balls and glass to a full fat fraim shelf. The only difference is the countersunk insert for the cups and different shape of the shelf! Is it just because of those two differences? Or perhaps it was my imagination that the sound improved :thinking:

It looks great. Iam not a single guy. The wife would not like all this
Brian 1

@Brian1
I was lucky. My wife liked the look of Fraim in a very nice photo I showed her, surprisingly didn’t like the SimRak (and I was surprised) and when she saw our Fraim at my dealers, she loved it!

1 Like