So DSOTM 50yr, what do we think?

So, for those of us who, regardless of cost and what some fans think of box set numbers of Pink Floyd have bought the DSOTM 50 year box set, what do you think of it now it’s been out a week? For my part I think it is good value for money. Starting from outside of the box in all black finish, moving to black with a ‘gold’ insert box, and finally an all ‘gold’ box with the two LPs in it. I think the live concert is one of the best, if not the best reproduction of a live recording I’ve ever heard, and what’s more neither LP had any of the issues the recent ‘Animals’ release had, and both have an extremely low noise floor. I haven’t played the singles yet but will be doing so. The books and the rest of the paraphernalia are also of very high quality, and i know some of the bits have been issued before, but not having sets like the ‘Immersion’ products these are a first for me. I absolutely love the whole thing. You?

1 Like

Hmmm, I know I wish I had been more of a collector a few years back, I would have enjoyed the extra content available then, but, ah never mind!

I won’t be buying it. Had an original early copy which somehow got into an ex’s box of LPs and I didn’t notice for several years and I still haven’t got around to replacing it.

1 Like

Heck that’s awful, what a loss, maybe try a record fair!

Not really, I think if I wanted a copy I could have bought it again by now. I might get a CD if I see one in a charity shop.

1 Like

Those early UK pressings are rather good….

I’m a massive Floyd Fan boy but I couldn’t convince my self to spend that kind of money - bottom line for me is sound quality and whilst I might appreciate the quality of the box that would fade into irrelevance pretty quickly.

If the LP sounded better than an early UK I would jump in but in the mean time I’ll settle for my early vinyl and the HD version on Quobuz for digital with Quad / immersion box for a slightly different take.

3 Likes

Good logic, nothing beats that!!

Played it today in my car, streaming from Tidal via my iPhone. I wasn’t thrilled. It sounded harsh at certain points. Now I know a car is certainly not optimal for a serious listening session, but other recordings I know well sound rather well in the car. I will need to give it another listen on the main system one of these days to determine if I really do not like the new remaster.

1 Like

Yes, agree, i have to say the vinyl certainly sounds well on my system, particularly the live album, which surprised me, but then there are so many things that affect what we hear, and how we hear it!

1 Like

Any opinions on the 2023 HD 2ch stereo download ???
I have the 2011 remaster, which is the best IMO, and reluctant to go for the 2023 remaster without some confidence that its a positive change up from 2011.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m with Mike on this one. I also have the 2011 remaster (in the “Experience” double CD).

OTOH, the “Live in ‘74” CD is well worth the money. Especially when you combine it with the same-date live tracks from the Experience CD and Echoes from one of the box sets (which I have done!)

What a concert that must have been!

Edit: trying to work out when I saw them. It would have been in Manchester in “Uni term time” between Oct 72 to June 75, so I reckon it must have been the 16th December 1974 gig at the Palace Theatre (and not the FTH, as I’d been convinced it was for the last half century!)

3 Likes

Agreed. I bought the CD years ago and it gets more play than the studio album.

G

2 Likes

I think the live album is a revelation. Gilmour is outstanding both with the more blues guitar work and his singing. Superb.

3 Likes

I have an early UK pressing, a 2012 remaster and the 2003 30th anniversary pressing cut from the analogue masters. It’s hard to fine a clean pressing of the 2003 and mine has a few pops here and there, but dynamically it’s by far the best of the three. I was hoping that the 50th album alone would be sold without all the other stuff in the box set - I bought the live album separately - but it’s not looking like it will be.

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more young man, of all the live albums i have this is without doubt the best in reproduction and pressing quality.

1 Like

It’s definitely the live album that sticks out for me too. Amazing recording quality, especially to say it’s live. When the bass kicks in at the beginning of Money it is one the most “like he’s standing in the room” moments I’ve heard.

Also agree that Gilmour’s lyrics are brilliant. Interesting to hear them (and Roger’s lyrics for that matter) against much more recent recordings of the same material to hear how the texture of their voices have changed with age.

I have an early vinyl copy - a friend of mine gave it to me recently, he bought it around the time of release and only played it once (to tape it). The next time it was played nearly half a century later was by me!!!

3 Likes

Wow! That’s a very generous friend you have there, and for such an album to be only played twice is quite an achievement I think.

2 Likes

Cheers Nick, I am 62 1/2 and haven’t been called young man for decades :laughing:

1 Like