So when did it become acceptable to clean your records?

Yeah all that in the 70/80s about not cleaning records was part of the Linn is the only TT worth owning mythology. All hype.

It might have been hype but, then, it made sense. The analogy I would give is sugar granuals sprinkled on the surface of the vinyl. As nice big grains it’s easy to brush them off but splash some water on them and then they dissolve and settle into the bottom of the grooves. It’s not so easy to clean the residue off then because it’s hardened to a sludge at the bottom of the groove. I could see the sense in the arguement.

I’m not saying either arguement was right or wrong… just saying this was the thinking at the time. ISTR there was a test done when a stylus was examined after playing both before and after cleaning. Before it was clean. After cleaning they played the album again and this time, under the microscope, there was a sludge deposit on the stylus. I can’t say who/when did the test or which cleaning machine they were talking about… I mean this is 40 years ago now! :wink:

I don’t think I have ever subscribed to ‘the stylus is the best cleaner’ idea. I had a Transcriptors ‘sweep arm’ on my Hydraulic Reference turntable back in the 70s from day one and used it regularly. Later on when I had a Manticore Mantra turntable for some time, I used carbon antistatic brushes to clean my records before playing them.

However, the real breakthrough for me came some 6 or 7 years ago when I purchased a Keith Monks Discovery record cleaning machine. I was astonished by the effect this had on LPs I played on my Michell Orbe turntable. Unfortunately, the Discovery has proven to be a little temperamental, so I have progressed to a much cheaper Project ‘wet cleaning’ machine with very nearly identical results.

I really can’t understand why anyone with a good turntable and a decent LP collection would not want to invest in a ‘wet cleaning’ machine. Huge benefits and no negatives that I have come across.
It’s a ‘no-brainer’!

1 Like

I’ve been collecting records for 45+ years. Other than Roy Gandy I’ve never heard any recommendations against cleaning records.

3 Likes

I gather that it can work very well - assuming you use PVA wood glue, and definitely not the polyurethane type!

Modern cleaning methods can use both a “solvent” and a vacuum to remove the loosened/dissolved debris. This is the method I would subscribe to.
Simply wetting the vinyl surface, brushing and wiping clean would indeed probably leave the sludge that you refer to…the vacuum component is really the game-changer.
These types of machines are available at various price points- some quite reasonable for what they accomplish.

I seem to remember an article, possibly in HiFi Answers, a visit to Ivor Tiefenbrun for an LP12 demo where records were left on the carpet, he picked one up to play and “cleaned” it by wiping it on his jumper.
In the late 1960s there was a system, possibly the Lencoclean, where the record was played wet. The problem then was that the fluid dried, leaving the groove contaminated so that the record was not playable when dry. Having just searched to check it looks as if that system still exists, called Analogis.
I chose to move from a Knosti to Audiodesk when the leaflet accompanying a Transfiguration Axia suggested that wet cleaned records were essential and suggested that stylus life could be doubled.

3 Likes

That ignores that you should vacuum the liquid off the record while it’s wet -> exactly so you don’t get the sludge you’re mentioning.

The old recommendation assumed people didn’t have access to this, so accurate in regards to most other cleaning methods. We all know better now.

Back in the 70/80s with the oil crisis LPs were often rubbish pressings. Then up popped the Compact Disc. Another story. Life has moved on and domestic affordable cleaners are around as well as better record players. The better the turntable the less background noise. Some classical pressings lasting a good half an hour can be totally silent. I did say some.!

Up popped the compact disc

Perfect sound forever…

I’ve thought the same thing. (And I too don’t know anyone IRL who’s a “degenerate audiophile” like me!)

I clean all records I buy, new and second hand.
It’s amazing what a difference it makes to to sound and also removes all static.
I used a Knosti Disco Antistat for years and made my own fluid and it worked really well although was time consuming.
I now have a Pro-Ject vac machine and it’s very easy to use and the results are great.

“Perfect sound forever” - perhaps - but the actual SQ on some was terrible…
Some early AAD/ADD discs were particularly bad in that respect, the majority of later DDD discs were much better, Dire Straits Brothers in Arms being one such example.

V_R

Back in the day when I had a deck I would wash records with a dab of washing up liquid under running luke warm water.

Worked perfectly.

2 Likes

If I want a quick clean and destatic I do the same!!!
Tho substitute washing up liquid (has salt in it) for liquid hand soap …with a cotton wool bud…under running tepid (softened) tap water
Makes such a difference it’s untrue

Ps
CD…Perfect sound forever…
I was being soooooo sarcastic

Always find that works really well,no residue.And if you use actual Fairy,as opposed to other brands,you get four times as many albums cleaned,plus your hands stay as soft as your face ! The last bit will mean something to all of us of a certain age !

1 Like

I’d love to see that TV ad

Rows of albums all pegged to a washing line with the tag line … fairly goes so much further… right to the bottom of the groove

2 Likes

As I recall we never got to see Nanette Newman’s record collection just her extensive marquee based selection of crockery.

1 Like

I never used to clean my records except for a gentle carbon fibre brush if there was anything obvious on the surface.
I ritually without fail give the stylus a brush after every side. I currently use a little carbon fibre brush supplied with my Dynavector.
I recently tried a Project VCS2 and most of my older records didnt seem to benefit significantly. But newer records mostly did, the state that many new records appear is shocking. Pressing plants are dirty places but I dont recall records being consistently dirty/gritty straight out the sleeve when new as some do these days.
I experienced quality control problems with the Pro-ject after having and returning 3 different units. I hope to get another soon that works properly as I still buy a lot of new records.
So my conclusion is that the old advice not to clean records was probably correct assuming the record was otherwise looked after. RCM’S have become more popular perhaps due to the fact that record plants are now working flat out to meet demand and manufacturing conditions are dirtier than they used to be.
It is perfectly possible to manufacture clean records that dont need a wet clean from new. In my experience for example records pressed by RTI are very clean and quiet straight out of the sleeve when new.
A caveat to consider is whats in the fluid used, which is usually kept secret by the manufacturer, so one doesnt usually know what’s in the potion your slopping over your precious records. Most fluids, I would expect, will leave some residue behind even on a vacuum machine, which can end up gumming up the stylus. It might be worth considering that once one starts wet cleaning records that after time the residue build up could be problematic, records become “noisier”, leading to a repetitive cleaning merry go round. I dont recall who offhand but a high end cavitation manufacturer claims to have proven this point.

1 Like

Perfect Sound Forever is an interesting phenomenon - it seems that CDs were never advertised using that form of words. I’m sure there were implications along those lines at the time (Tomorrow’s World and marmalade etc) but everyone I’ve read who’s tried to track the quotation down has drawn a blank. It seems it’s just the hi-fi equivalent of an urban myth.

Mark