So when did it become acceptable to clean your records?

Suspect it was a prototype Kardigan rather than a jumper :wink:

3 Likes

Who remembers Hunt E.D.A. ā€˜P2ā€™ cleaner?

Plastic applicator/remover with sticky velvet pads you manually swept around the record after applying some of the P2 liquid (bottle with 2 immiscible liquids, top one blue supposedly to reduce evaporation from memory).

No idea what was in it, maybe just IPA but I used it a fair bit in th late 80ā€™s/early 90ā€™s and am convinced it made an audible difference on new/old records.

I find the Project cleaner soemthing of a chore largely as I have it on a low table and it kills my back bending over to use it.

I do fancy the Autodesk for several reasons.

Maybe itā€™s because of my age but I would try anything that reduces evaporation from memory!

The Project is portable - I just put mine on the kitchen table. I have found it a chore though. I went through my entire collection of 500 albums. I could do about 15 an hour, that included a rinse cycle with just pure water.

I discovered quite a few albums I had forgotten about, prompting me to play them after many years.

Thatā€™s fine if it is just a plain paper sleeve. The cardboard ones with artwork and/or lyrics printed on them I wouldnā€™t want to damage and it does annoy me how many of them are just full of static when you get them and getting the record out is tricky. Why do record companies think that putting an LP in a cardboard sleeve is a good idea? :frowning:

The record cleaner to go for is the Clearaudio double matrix professional. I was tempted to get one and set up in the record cleaning business.

Regards,

Lindsay

At 10 x the cost of the Project RCM it should be good!

Some have provided a printed inner along with a poly-lined inner that contains the LP. However, it does seem to be inconsistent, even from the same record company.

1 Like

The advantage of being a scientist - I had access to free rinsing detergents and double distilled waiter (the second distillation in an all glass still). When used on lint free cloths, this combination worked very well, even when used for cleaning records by hand.

The issue was worry about dirt/dust being drawn across the surface. Yes if it was special printed sleeve then it could be an issue because, as you say, you donā€™t really want to be slitting it open. Once the record was out of the factory sleeve I always used to replace with a 3rd party sleeve with a coated linerā€¦ ISTR they came from WH Smiths! Back in the day when Smiths did records.

Thatā€™s what I do with any record I get now, new or used. Clean on the RCM then in to a poly lined sleeve if it isnā€™t already in one. Thankfully they are easy to find and inexpensive on well known auction sites.

2 Likes

I still have a number of those!

1 Like

I used one of those years back and the record actually went mouldy. I cleaned it again, but it had been damaged so as to be unplayable.

I had a ā€œdust-bugā€ too. Once, the little roller-thing came of, travelled around on the record and skittled my cartridge.

I donā€™t miss any of that.

1 Like

And do you remember Pickering cartridges, which had a built in ā€œdust bugā€?

No regrets here over giving up on vinyl, though Iā€™d guess most of the damage was self inflicted, in my own case. :roll_eyes:

Vaguely. Like this?

Thatā€™s the one! :+1:

Or the thing like a paint roller with a sticky coating the dust was supposed to stick to. ISTR it was also sold as something to remove lint from jackets. Anyway I tried it for a while but I got worried about what it might be leaving on the record surface; sticky residue I mean.

Yes I do remember the Hunt P2.
It was as you described and also came with a little sticker to remind you when the record was cleaned. It was quite effective as I recall.

The Audiodesk is a different beast to the ProJect. Itā€™s an ultrasonic cleaner around 2.5k compared to the Project VCS2 ALU which is a wet vac machine currently available if you shop around for Ā£364, itā€™s gone down another pound since yesterday.
The ProJect VCS2 ALU is the newer version of the VCS which replaces the MDF box with a quite smart looking aluminium enclosure and better quality/more powerful vacuum and other improvements.
Theres also a smaller version the VCE for Ā£299, but personally Iā€™m not keen on the record overhanging the box.
Iā€™m expecting to receive a new VCS2 ALU in the next week.
:grinning:

Iā€™m guessing you have the VCE? I wouldnt describe the full size machine as portable really.
Also, I have found itā€™s not really a good idea or effective to try to clean many records in one session. The pads do become dampened with fluid which ends up being smeared back onto the record requiring several rotations to get the record dry. Best to let the pads dry out after a few cleans, I dont think their really designed for heavy duty use

On the subject of inner sleeves I always use the Nagoka 102. They are just the poly sleeve without paper that you insert into the existing inner sleeve.
Or the cheaper Tonar version of the same sleeve.
Beware of cheap unbranded copies though, there not the same quality.
:grinning:

Itā€™s the VCS II, weighs 10kg. Not lightweight but okay to move rather than bend over for a session. I havenā€™t found it gunge up, maybe the rinse cycle helps and I do about 15 albums in a session.

1 Like