Solstice or MG-1

I’d like to offer a different perspective.

I have an MG -1 and it is magnificent. I did not listen to any other decks at that budget level. I couldn’t as there was not the option to do so.

If you can demo them together, great, do so. But if you can’t, frankly I think it will not matter which deck you choose. They will both be amazing record players. If you can’t demo the Solstice against the MG -1 and you buy the Solstice anyway, you don’t be disappointed. You’ll never know if there was a difference that you would have cared about, and you’ll likely never find out. So buy the one your heart desires.

4 Likes

This is a very good point. As turntables get better and better (usually with exponentially increasing prices), they get more and more like the undimmed original recording - not more and more ‘characterful’. While you may well be able to distinguish blind between high-end LP12, MG-1 and Solstice, they are all very good indeed.

Like everyone here, I would not want to spend that kind of money with hearing the competition. However, whichever gets bought and and after what process, the most important thing after buying is surely to accept it’s great and get back to listening to the music rather than continuing wondering about the hi-fi.

3 Likes

Good points indeed, to be honest I had made my mind up on the MG-1 and happened to see this ex display Solstice for £12.5K and it stopped me in my tracks, I really can’t see Naim or indeed Clearaudio putting anything out there under parr as both companies have such fantastic reputations. I am now blowing hot and cold, do I buy with my heart or my head :slight_smile:

Unless I’ve missed it, has anyone on the forum actually got a Solstice?

Indeed they have, @Cohen1263 for example.

1 Like

Thanks hungryhalibut, wonder if he likes it?

I wonder if you’ve actually been reading people’s posts on this thread!!

1 Like

Oops just seen it

:joy:

Now now, don’t get nasty with nasty! :slight_smile:

The big thing about the Solstice in my irrelevant opinion is the Aro arm. I’ve gone all digital - mainly to keep on good terms with my large and bouncy dog - but that arm did things for me that none of the gymbal designs ever could.

1 Like

There is a huge thread on here if you search for solstice. 4000+ posts with about 20-30 that talk about how it sounds :wink:

Just revived it to move it to the top of the pile for you!

4 Likes

Lol

Brilliant thanks!

I’d missread your post earlier (trouble with reading this at work!), I thought you’d made these upgrades to the LP12, fully understand now, that was some journey but worth it in the end I guess.

1 Like

That was an expensive way to bring the OP’s attention to a thread if ever I saw one X)

Congratulations on the purchase 8)

Worth it sound quality wise as it’s a superb turntable now but playing devil’s advocate consider this. If and when my deck goes wrong a few years down the road how easy will it be to have it repaired? The Naim/ Clearaudio alliance has no reason to continue has it? I’m sure that Naim would help solve any issue but it could be a headache. One thing is for sure if you buy an LP12 from Cymbiosis I’m confident that Peter S would be able to solve any problem and I can’t see Linn going anywhere soon for supplying the parts.

1 Like

Another reason why it seems sub optional for Naim to discontinue it after 500 units. I cannot recall how long they’re obliged to support it for, but it is certainly much less than the expected life of a high end turntable effectively only produced for a year.

5 year warranty but not sure after that. Hopefully they got a big bin of spares from clearaudio!

2 Likes

Ditto

That’s a very good point!

1 Like