Some issues with NDX2

Hi all.

Although I have not been able to find anything about it, apologies if those topics have been dealt with previously in any other post.

Well, it finally seems my SN3 is coming this week. As you may know, I was shuffling the possibility of the NDX2 or the DAC via (Hugo TT 2 vs. nDAc) to complete the system; but my dealer has made me a very interesting proposal about the NDX2, which I have decided to accept, and lighten my pocket to complete the system, at last, with the NDX2.

But I have a couple of questions about it that Iā€™d like to consult you:

• I guess if I want to control the streamer to some extent from the integrated controller, a light 3ā€™5 Jack - 3ā€™5 Jack cable from the NDX2 IR Out to the SN3 IR In is needed, right?

• Also, as I understand it, to use the SN3 potentiometer the NDX2 output must be set as fixed, isnā€™t it? And for best SQ unused NDX2 outputs should be cancelled, right?

• Any additional configuration tipā€¦?

Thank you in advance for your assessments and greetings to the forum.

Hi @newcomer, I have the same set up and you seem to have all the bases covered. I have an SSD connected to the NDX2 which contains my CD rips and hi-res FLAC files to play via the Naim app. I also run Roon core on my Mac, again with rips on an identical SSD for when I use Roon.

Great system, enjoy!

1 Like

It is my understanding, and experience, that you need to keep all inputs on the NDX2 active and not to disable them.

1 Like

I havenā€™t found this. I disabled to get less clutter on the app homepage.

3 Likes

G

1 Like

Whichever way is best a definitive answer would be good. I would like to de clutter the app so if they are meant to be active then an option to ā€˜hideā€™ unwanted icons without deactivating would be beneficial.

1 Like

To be contentious, I believe that in practice it makes no difference to the sound quality at all in any Naim product whether you disable unused inputs or not, but if you try it both ways and believe otherwise then thatā€™s fine. Just do what works best for you.
Best
David

2 Likes

I did askā€¦never got a definitive answer, so as David says make your mind up. Mine are turned offā€¦logic they consume powerā€¦a little, but Naim are all about power supplies?

1 Like

Mine are off purely for convenience

1 Like

So I heard, all input should be on for best sound quality.

1 Like

Hi all people out there and many thanks for participating.

I think itā€™s pretty much clear; I hope I donā€™t have too many problems with the Naim APP on my ethernet wired setup with Andriod tablet device after all that has been said, and we have been able to read, in the multiple threads about it. Otherwise, it will certainly be to get very angry with the money that the devices cost; and I fully understand the fuss of all these users who, after making that unruly effort, less as things are more and more, do not end up enjoying their systems due to the peculiar, sometimes quite erratic and mysterious, operation of the APP.

One thing I have not just understood is why Naim, being that it already had it configured like this in legacy streamers, has not bypassed the APP to be able to also use the new generation streamers from the front button and screen, at less in the ND555 and NDX2; it seems to be the most logical thing, just as other brands do.

Anyway, thanks again and greetings to the forum.

Hi all.

One more questionā€¦

In the Naim APP, in the configuration menu, there is the option to ā€œUse NDX2 as serverā€, which is activated by default. Iā€™m reading and re-reading in the forum, but I donā€™t quite understand what the difference is, and the implications, of using NDX2 as a server or not. Could someone clarify this point convenientlyā€¦? @ChrisSU, @Simon-in-Suffolk, may beā€¦?

Thanks in advance and greetings to the forum.

NDX2 as server means that a locally connected file store (USB) is also shown as a UPNP filestore to other devices in the network, so a Muso for example could access those recordings.

3 Likes

Many thanks, @Eoink.

It is clear; therefore, when configured ā€œAs serverā€ appears in the UPNP menus of the rest of devices (Pro-Ject Audio and Marantz) in the network; although, for the moment, not having a locally connected USB file storage device, nothing more can be done. But it is the next step, given the NDX2 flexibility and its useful power function ā€œavailable in the local networkā€: a USB HHD storage device to back up additionally all my collection of ripped CDs and permanently attached to the NDX2.

Thanks again and greetings.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a good idea, but Iā€™d also suggest another copy held outside your house. That was if ever you have a fire or a major break in there is one job fewer to do.

Thanks again, @Eoink.

Yes, although we hope that there will never come to such facts, chance usually plays bad tricks; anyway it would be the sixth back up copy, one of them already in the office (away from home) and another permanent disconnected from the network and stored in a security drawer. I hope thatā€™s enoughā€¦ :crazy_face:

Cheers.

1 Like

I think Eoink has answered your question. If you already have music stored elsewhere on your network, with a server running, you donā€™t need the NDX2 to run in Server mode, and you can save a bit of electricity by disabling it. On the other hand, it does save all the hassle of running a NAS/server as itā€™s so simple to just plug in a USB drive and use it.
The Naim server is not the most sophisticated, and some will want a more full featured one such as Minimserver, but it works fine for many people.

1 Like

Thank you, @ChrisSU.

So far, as I say, I have not used it as a server, and I have the entire collection of CDs hosted on a Synology NAS (with 4 convenient back up copies) with its Media Server and Audio Server as servers; but I will appreciate it, because, in addition to an additional back up copy, I do not like to have the NAS continuously on and can be a good option to feed the rest of the streamers, especially in late night listening. I donā€™t think I need more functionality than the Naim server, I love simplicity.

Greetings.

You might want to test the sound quality of the built in server compared to your NAS/server and see which you prefer, if, indeed, there is any audible difference. If there is no downside, you have the option to get rid of your NAS and just use USB drives.
When you add or edit files on the USB drive, you need to connect it to a computer, whereas a NAS is visible to the streamer and other devices all the time, which may be a small inconvenience. Obviously a NAS can be a very versatile tool to have for all sorts of uses, but thatā€™s another matter.

1 Like

Thank you again.

Yes, of course, Iā€™ll make that comparison. Although I think that if I finally introduce USB HDD storage, I will not give up the NAS either; I think itā€™s a more of an additional facility, another complementary alternative.

Cheers.