Some system changes

About 14 months ago I was browsing on Ebay and for a bit of fun ended up bidding on 300DR. I was more than happy with my standard 252/SC2/300.

And so It started…

I thought 300DR was a decent enough upgrade, nothing earth shattering (more clarity, less dense) and I could’ve left it there but then I started to wonder if the 252/SC2 was was holding back what the DR was really doing.

So…

Ah, now I can hear what the DR brings and that it now deserved a matching CDP, so out went the Rega Isis and it was back to Naim again.

Now the synergy is back. The Isis was great but the CD555 is next level!

Yeah, that’s sounding more like it!

Only now I’m wondering about the amp that started things off.

So…

I think I’m ‘done’… :grinning:

28 Likes

That’s. fine and tidy looking system!

2 Likes

Ah now, lovely system. But do I spy a Rega P25 in the background?

If so, its a lovely deck. I had one for several years. While slightly sqiffy, one evening I bid on a pre-loved Michell Orbe and won. Long story short I set up the Orbe using my cart from the Rega (Dynavector 4XGold) and I could not believe the improvement. Not suggesting that the Orbe is necessarily right for you but you might want to consider…

1 Like

It’s a P9. Lovely deck. I had it before.

2 Likes

FR is correct, its a P9/Atheta/IOS set up.

Ah OK. Never heard the P9 but looks like the plinth is very similar so my mistake. What cart are you using? I still have my 4XGold and looking for an upgrade. Thinking about the Dynavector XX2 but not yet taken the plunge.

1 Like

crossed threads. Atheta it is. Another one to add to the shortlist perhaps.

1 Like

Rega have the mk3 Atheta now which should be a good upgrade over the original I have. I’m using the CD555 more than the TT at the moment though.

Funny thing is I have an NDS which I listen to most of the time (like right now) and I love it but there is something about the playing of records that I cant explain (especially my 1970s originals). So I want to give the Orbe/SME V something that is closer to what they deserve. I figure a better cart is the first step (I heard the excellent MC demo at the Ascot show) and then think about whether the phonostage (Dynavector P75) needs upgrading to maximise the performance.

2 Likes

Have an nds too and rega rp10 / Lyra Delos. I enjoy much more 70’s albums on the rega too. :+1:

2 Likes

Fab system, it don’t get much better than that. :hugs:

1 Like

Very nice RacKit, and wonderful photos.

1 Like

Beautiful looking system and thanks for the details and history.

… and some fine looking photographs!

1 Like

You lucky thing - I loved my CDS3, 552 and 300. I bet it sounds wonderful. Two tiny things (sound the nit-picker alarm!) - you should align the 552 with the front of the glass, which should sound a bit better, and get those two Fraims level…

1 Like

That looks really fab Rackkit.

As HH advises above, it sounds best when you align the front edge of the kit with the front edges of the glass and the Fraim wood.

You just need a Superline now… :wink:

1 Like

Thanks Dave. It’s as far as I can afford to go with Naim. Statement is well out of reach! :smiley:

1 Like

Cheers Nigel. Black boxes aren’t the easiest thing to photograph. :smiley:

Thanks seakayaker.

Thanks for the 552 tip, I’ll get round to sorting that out at some point. Yeah, it’s sounding good even though the 500 seems a bit tight with only a weeks use so far and the 552 a couple of months. The Fraim stacks are actually dead level, it’s the floor that has a slight fall to the Left. It’s carpet over floorboards so not sure what I could do to improve the things. Any suggestions are more than welcome!

Thanks Richard but a Superline would mean another PSU and I’ve run out of power sockets! :smiley: