Sondek LP12 - what does the panel think?

If the Stanton can’t be resurrected, I have been very happy with my Nagaoka MP - 50. Like you, I would have to buy a moving coil step up transformer to put into the path to my MM phono stage if I wanted to listen to my Sumiko and Shelter MC cartridges. I read something by someone named Raul in the USA who tried every single MM available or not on two turntables each with two arms and several head shells and then rated them into best, good and avoid categories. The Nagaoka was in best so I took a chance. On my system, sounds better than my MC carts used to! Everyone started buying these so Nagaoka stoped making them, but came back out with basically the same cartridge with a new name (MP - 500) for much more dosh. Just one opinion if you need to consider replacing the Stanton.

1 Like

+1

I have lived happily with a Nagaoka MP 50, first on a Planar 3/RB 300 and then on LP12/Ittok LVII

Amazing sound for the price

Claude

Well you have a very early LP12 right there as evidenced by the red rocker switch and the prop up lid. You should find the serial number underneath the platter on a sticker by the way.

There are a few things I would do. As suggested by many here, take it to a dealer for a set up. They are very fiddly to set up and the springs and grommets will be likely due a replacement. If you do want to do this yourself then make sure you join the facebook group “Linn Sondek LP12’ because its full of very knowledgable folks, especially on the earliest models, that are willing to help. They also have a good files section with service manuals, set-up guides and product histories. Nice and friendly bunch too.

The tonearm and cartridge have also been correctly identified above. The cartridge is a bit of a classic and will probably still work very well if the stylus is OK. Since you gave no way of knowing how many hours are under this you’d do well to see if you can get hold of a replacement stylus or get it inspected by a knowledgable dealer under a microscope that is trained to know what they are looking at. Stanton/Pickering was a US cartridge manufacturer that is long gone so original replacement stylus for the 681 are extremely rare now. There are aftermarket ones available from Pfanstiehl and possibly Jico. I have had a Pfanstiehl for a related Pickering cartridge to yours and it wasn’t that great so it may, in the end, just be easier to get a new and more modern moving magnet cartridge. The best place to start is with the Audio Technica ATVM95 series of cartridges. They have a full range of stylus shapes so buy whichever you can afford. These will pair well with your tonearm too. In terms of value, you deck is worth around 1000 to 1500 GBP in that collector condition.

An aside on the little brush on your Stanton. The tracking force you use differs a little if you use the brush or not. Without the brush set the tracking force (using a stylus gauge) to 1g. If you are using the brush, set it to 2g because the brush has a 1g counterforce so the stylus sees 1g with the brush down and stylus playing. This was with all Stanton and Pickering cartridges and detailed in their instructions if you can get a copy online somewhere.

Don’t be tempted by upgrading this, it looks to be a very rare early original and literally every single part of a modern LP12 is different. Most parts are interchangeable but with something this early, everything has changed and in most cases several times. Linn pricing on LP12 parts is eye watering so enjoy your old classic by getting it set up and fettled by someone knowledgable. A Linn dealer that services lots of LP12’s would be safest but Peter Swain at Cymbiosis in Leicestershire is not only regarded as one of the best, he’s very sympathetic to servicing these earlier ones and knows their set up idiosyncrasies inside out. Peter wrote the set up guides you’ll often find on the internet.

Anyway, best of luck.

9 Likes

This is an instruction manual from a closely related cartridge to the Stanton 681. Hope it helps.

2 Likes

Cracking response and sums up what many of us say.

1 Like

Fordy, thank you very much for all your information
I posted the serial number about 6 posts back if you are interested :slight_smile:
And I will certainly have look at the facebook LP12 group you mentioned.

1 Like

It may be worth contacting Len Gregory (the cartridge man) if you want to try to stay as original as possible. He may be able to help with a stylus re-tip, or offer some advice.

1 Like

Not sure I can agree with a lot of comments about your inherited LP12. In August 1974 I bought the same LP12 with SME 3009, but with the Shure V15 111 cartridge. With my Spendor BC2 speakers it sounded pretty good. However the early 80’s upgrades transformed it beyond recognition. I really don’t rate the SME 3009 which I replaced with Rega RB300 and the Linn K9 cartridge (£69). Also I had the Valhalla and Nirvana upgrades (£100). I’m not in touch with Linn’s upgrade prices at the moment, but am sure you only have a very ordinary turntable if you don’t do, at least, some minimal upgrades. Although my LP12 is recently serviced and with a new cartridge I tend not to listen to vinyl much now. Like you I have been listening to hi res streaming but with Naim NDX, Teddy Pardo amplification and Focal Aria 948’s. The sound is far closer to vinyl than I ever got with CD’s and is definitely more detailed and dynamic than my vinyl set up. I have quite a few vinyl records so its still nice to listen occasionally with a pretty good front end.

1 Like

Lovely looking deck.

Not had time to read all the replies but noticed the serial number and proof of purchase. I would definitely keep it as it is and get it serviced by a reputable dealer of which there are several across the UK.

And if the OP wants an up to date one, get a Majik

1 Like

In that case, use the serial number of the old deck to get a Majik LP12 under the Karousel promo (ends soon) and then sell the free Karousel.

Nice old LP12. For a service, contact Peter Swain at Cymbiosis who are based in Leicester. He really does know his stuff. I don’t know where you are based but it will be well worth the effort.

3 Likes

So, I have now entered the world of LP12
Thanks Andy Heavens for your excellent service - new belt, suspension springs. lube and a bit of TLC to the motor and a replacement power cable. And thanks to all who contributed to the thread :slight_smile: . . . Its a gud’n

18 Likes

Looks good: pleased you kept it original

3 Likes

Yep, would be a crime to change a thing. It is a lovely marrage between old and new tech. input 1973 - LP12 using a modern Naim amp ( driving a pair of fully restored Cambridge Audio R50s next).

It looks lovely.

2 Likes

She’s a looker and no mistake.

1 Like

That looks lovely.

1 Like

The R50s will be interesting. I remember them-ish from my teenage hi-fi mag buying days in the 1970s

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.