Sondek LP12 - what does the panel think?

lovely I think that certainly qualifies as orginal!! there should also be a plate on the back of the deck with a serial number which you can also check

Can not see one but wondering if it’s under the turntable? I will have another look later.

Just went on an inflation calculator. The £66 is over £800 today and the arm and cart over £400 each. A serious buy.

2 Likes

1973 makes sense.

I’m afraid I can’t give you any advice on the sound quality of the Stanton compared to cartridges of today, but since a replacement stylus will probably cost £100 or thereabouts, it may be better to look elsewhere.

Perhaps a dealer could check the stylus out for you if you want to give the Stanton a go before you look elsewhere.

1 Like

I wonder what a modern equivalent specification would cost today

The kit came with a spare unused stylus in a clear plastic box, mounted on a little card.
Hurray !

Well, you have nothing to lose by trying it out. If I were you though, I would consider removing the brush from the cartridge, assuming of course it can be removed. I’m pretty sure it can.

…are you sitting down…on a new ‘like for like’ (accepting things have moved on), my estimate somewhere ~£3k, noting the SME3009 is a quality bit of kit. Keep the box for this if you have it.

Have a look at a Majik LP12 spec deck and pricing.

3 Likes

there is spare brush too, so I imagine it can be removed

******ing heck ! . . . . 3 grand
No box as far as I know, but will look next time I am back in town

Stick SME 3009 in to a search engine and it’s an intriguing read.

…and here comes the …’.yer but’!

If you have a look at fleabay, there are usually plenty of LP12s for sale of all vintages and the used values/prices are heavily disconnected to new prices. Some of us have bought one via fleabay and then ‘worked it up’…a bit like ‘Trigger’s broom’ (in Only Fools…).

A fully worked-up LP12 can now come in close to £20k. Cartridges alone can cost anything around £3/4k (upper-line models) and Linn’s EKOS SE arm is ~£4k.

……hence why I raised the question of which direction you want to go re your vinyl & LP12 intentions. It’s a dammed deep rabbit hole :crazy_face:

2 Likes

yes, and I just found the Majik LP12, I see what you mean.
It feels like Christmas.

2 Likes

In June :grinning:

As the phrase goes ’ careful young Master Luke’, as if you need to update what you’ve got due to wear & tear, age et al (which is likely), it could cost a few bob.

There was a very similar thread a couple of months back (inheritance etc,), the poster being in the USA. It’s one of those times in life, where emotion and pragmatism come to face each other.

I wish you well in your deliberations and path forward.

Indeed & thank you

1 Like

To reiterate, have a chat with a Linn dealer and then you’ll know where you stand.

1 Like

Just looking again at the back end of the SME arm, I’d also suggest that you remove/secure the little counterweight when transporting - which can be re-set by the dealer on service (take a photo of the setting before changing anything).

If you have inherited other hi-fi kit, this could have some value too, as could some of the vinyl which this LP12 has played* - I note your comments about having a ‘renewed interest’ in vinyl.

*I suspect you’re probably aware that early pressings of Led Zep in good condition and other stuff can command series money nowadays. Look up ‘Discogs’ if you have some stuff and are interested. The devil (& value) is often in the detail though.

It’s quite an early example by the look of it. The SME 3009 Series II improved with fixed headshell dates it around mid '70s; it was specifically designed for higher compliance MM cartridges, which sometimes ran at very low tracking weights.

Overall your Sondek looks to be in really nice condition, and may possibly even be all original, although you may know more once the platter is lifted. Early original decks that have been left untouched and are in excellent condition are getting pretty rare now. If it were mine, I would do a basic service - new belt, new grommets for the arm, re-lube, re-set suspension - and I would keep it just as it is. Lovely.

8 Likes

That deck would be around £4-5000 to replace in today’s terms* and a very early model may have collectors drooling .

As an aside (and I am just being nosey) what sort of speakers do you have ?

• In fact it can’t be replaced as SME have stopped selling arms , though I imagine plenty are available
1 Like