Songs that have Bass that Rocks your House !!

Donald Fagen - Morph the Cat, on vinyl
Brian Bromberg - Wood

1 Like

Is this thread talking deep bass (e.g. below 40 Hz), or driving rhythm even if nothing lower than maybe 80 or 100Hz?

One that startled on first listen, and still gets the neighbours banging…
The bass on this is more a rhythmic slab dictating the key changes rather than any melody as such.

Played from a Gibson Firebird Bass, it seems appropriately named as this one has a simple motif melody that hovers and swoops over above other sub bass slabs and whooshes.

1 Like

That Incubus track is great, used to really sound great in a car I had years ago. The sub-woofer just gelled with it somehow. It was my show-off track, for sure. I bought a “better” stereo with even more sub-woofer for the replacement vehicle, but it was never the same. I must try it in the Tesla.

https://youtu.be/Arsw0gODl8U After around 3 minutes…

1 Like

John Lee Hooker & Carlos Santana - Stripped Me Naked

Used to be one of the test tracks I used on Tidal but it was removed from the brilliant Mr Lucky album some time ago…

1 Like

Predictably almost any of the Reggae and Jungle in my collection.
But this compilation from Gearbox Records contains this strange track- AGF & Gudrun Gut - Drilling An Ocean For You - which you cant really hear on the sample but on my LP copy has this weird deep sub bass that creeps up.

from (Un​)​popular Music by Various

:grin:

1 Like

:grin:

2 Likes

Sledgehammer,.Peter Gabriel.

:small_blue_diamond:Sledgehammer on Vinyl,.played on an active Linn Isobarik-System…High.
Then we can talk about bass :grin::+1:t2:.

The second track off of Peter Gabriel’s 1986 album So.
It also provided Gabriel with his only #1 hit on the Billboard Hot 100 (peaking in July 1986).

The song is centered around Gabriel trying to woo someone,.and uses a LOT of sexual innuendo.
The titular sledgehammer is a pretty obvious phallic symbol.
“Sledgehammer” was heavily influenced by 60s soul,.specifically songs released by the Stax label, to the point that Peter Gabriel hired Wayne Jackson of Stax’s Memphis Horns to lead his horn section for this song.

The music video for this song was influential, and is MTV’s most played music video to date. The video is almost entirely stop-motion animation,.created with the help of Aardman Animations.
The company that would later make the Wallace and Gromit films.
The music video was also used in the Atari Jaguar CD game “Vid Grid”,.a sliding puzzle game where you must put the music video together.

/Peder🙂

1 Like

Dido - Hell After This.

Not what you expect from her.

Phil

Plenty of challenging bass in this track. Electric human juicy with big robot dry.

Stewboss, Wanted a Girl from album of the same name. Knew the Stillpoints were for me when they tamed the bass on this track.

These songs do not have real bass :). Take a look at this:

the%20fat%20of%20the%20the%20land

1 Like

IB asks the question about what is meant by bass. The title of the thread is …Rocks Your House, which to me implies a physical sense of pressure and vibration, something that has been absent since I stopped using transmission line loudspeakers and had the windows replaced. I have been happily living with speakers specced as -3dB at 50Hz and listening to Sly and Robbie. In theory a guitar with a lowest note of 83Hz has bass, those blues players with the thumb playing the standard 8 note repeat is bass, rhythm, gives the underlying timing and beat, but hardly rocks the house.
Then I added a subwoofer, it becomes surprising how many tracks do not have low bass. Two played today that go low, but not necessarily shaking the foundations -
The soundtrack to Koyaanisqatsi, not just the opening bars, but intermittently through the whole album.
Then Scots “folk” group Lau and the track Ghosts. Performed live, the bass really is felt, rather than heard.

bassnectar… like an earthquake!