Songs that make you cry

A Te. Andrea Bocelli & Kenny G.

1 Like

Lady In Red by Chris De Burgh.

…………………for the wrong reasons :scream:

Well if I’m allowed to go slightly off topic in that isn’t a song per se, then I would add Chopin’s Nocturne in D flat major Opus 27 No 2. This is deeply affecting music and is certainly potentially tear inducing. It lasts for just under 6 minutes. I commend it to anyone.

There are lots of great recordings of Chopin’s Nocturnes but Linn’s 2018 recording of the lovely Argentinian pianist Ingrid Fliter is especially good and reminds me of hearing her play all of the Nocturnes on a Steinway Concert Grand at the Wigmore Hall in London a couple of years ago.

Best

David

2 Likes

Another song, and it is a song this time, which induces tears is Autumn Leaves sung by Eva Cassidy. It is immensely lovely and beautifully sung.

Partly this makes me cry because I chose it for the funeral of a close relative recently, but I chose it partly for the reason that it made me cry when I was choosing the music.

Best

David

3 Likes

It did inspire this tender love song from the Barsteward sons of Val Doonican.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=2ahUKEwj28faM77_mAhVQZMAKHda8ACgQtwIwAXoECAkQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DmRuQL3rdHvc&usg=AOvVaw0UHMOkGyzyiN3xaFVRUo8M

1 Like

Richard Hawley - What Love Means. A song about the day his daughter left home. Coming to me soon and I’m dreading it.

3 Likes

I don’t know your circumstances, but my two girls left home a number of times after they left school and each time it was always hard and expensive…

But it worked out OK in the end (so far!).
Best

David

Too many. For starters

My Father by Judy Collins
Grey Funnel Line by June Tabor
Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits

And Land of my Fathers, of course. When this was sung at my son’s graduation in the Brangwyn Hall in Swansea I just lost it. A majority of the mums and dads in the audience surrounding us were Welsh, all singing along in their native tongue.

Dollar Days/I Can’t Give Everything Away, last 2 tracks on Bowie’s Blackstar album.

3 Likes

My Father is a lovely track, can see why you chose it.

Joni Mitchell - Both sides now
Kate Bush - This woman’s work
Sinéad O’Connor - This Is a rebel Song

There are many that are moving me but these three bring me out of my “comfort zone”… :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

The bonus disc from the Divine Comedy’s Foreverland called In May. Neil Hannon and Frank Alva Buecheler’s chamber opera, which explores the final months of the relationship between a terminally ill son and his absent father through a series of letters. This is sung by Neil Hannon with string quintet and piano.

Another is Who Will Sing Me Lullabies by Kate Rusby

Lay me down gently, lay me down low,
I fear I am broken and won’t mend, I know.

1 Like

Hollies - He Ain’t Heavy

It’s a beautiful song but simply hearing the opening bars is enough to trigger an immediate wave of sadness and I haven’t been able to listen to the complete song for nearly 30 years…even typing about it now is somewhat difficult.

Now where’s that “songs that make you happy” thread?

3 Likes

Anything by Ed Sheeran and I just break down and weep uncontrollably

2 Likes

This one gets me every time. James Blunt “Monsters”

1 Like

So many pieces of music have that effect on me, but interesting recent experience chatting among the ‘husbands’ at a Christmas drinks party a few days ago where we got onto a similar subject. Three of us nominated The Living Years by Mike and the Mechanics. In particular, the verse that starts: ‘I wasn’t there that morning when my Father passed away…’ just typing that line plays the song in my head now and it stings.

4 Likes

Famous Blue Raincoat

Jennifer Warnes does good, but it is the Master’s Song

Tell Me On A Sunday

Marti Webb

I Want To Break Free

Queen

Sonny’s Lettah

Linton Kwesi Johnson