Sonus Faber Olympica Nova 3 replacing Focal Kanta 2

Or you could change from digital and solid state (odd order harmonics), to vinyl and hollow state (valves). Not as accurate, but much less in your face :wink:
Nice speakers though, glad they’re breaking in now (from what I read in your subsequent posts).

1 Like

Nice setup!
I have the Serafino, powered by a nap 250dr, and I can tell you that the 250 is far too week for these speakers. I´m now looking to upgrade… :wink:

11 Likes

Nice speakers !

And Dr Evil cat too :+1:

3 Likes

the looks !!! … wow … pfff … beautiful @Simon76

1 Like

@Simon76 I love the furniture/rack as well. Which brand is it?

1 Like

Thank you.
I bought the furniture here in Sweden in a store called Mio, but they are handmade in Poland at Albert´s furniture. The series is called acuto.
http://www.albertas.eu/collections/acuto.php

2 Likes

Thanks Simon76.
I’m in North America, but I’ll see what can be done.

Fantastic look of these speakers ! I like Sonus Faber too. Heard and enjoyed the Sonus Faber Olympica 2 last year. Disappearing, nice tones, fast, with well defined bass, …better than the Cremona M I heard 10 years ago.

2 Likes

Unless the figures I found are off, £7,000 for the Kanta 2 versus £ 12,000 for the SF, the SF should have a little leg up.
I bet it is extra smooth compared to the K2.
Enjoy!

1 Like

Hi @mcjt1, oh yes they are. The Nova’s are the better speakers even though still running in.

Like mentioned, the first thing that I noticed is the sound is now completely (!) free from the speakers. Next the depth (or 3D imaging) improved significantly compared to the Kanta’s. Last point - and the initial reason to swap to Sonus Faber - are the super soft treble/high frequencies.

The differences are really not night and day; Focal Kanta is a splendid product which I’d recommend to anyone. The Sonus Faber’s just bring extra of everything and have another sound that I like better.

Iver

Hi IvdZ can I ask what size room the speakers are in…I was looking at the Olympica myself but didn’t know if if they would be oversized for 5 x 3 meter room

Hi @paul2 , my room is 10m x 6m … I doubted between Nova 3, Nova 5 and Serafino. In the end happy in Nova 3. They are absolutely not overdoing the bass; it’s just good. Difficult to judge for your room size, but why don’t you consider Niva2/Olympica2 instead. Then you are 100% sure you won’t have an issue

thanks for the advice , regards Paul

1 Like

Absolutely beautiful speakers mate! Congratulations. How are they settling in, have you noticed any changes in the sound?

1 Like

Hi @Maccaboy10, thanks for the note and the kind words. The SF’s are now 3 weeks with me. I have had them running in almost constantly at various volume levels. Especially the first week I good clearly noticed the loudspeakers further opened up. The last two weeks not much change so I think they are all set now.

The sound of the Nova’s is just fabulous. I am really happy with them. The sound is complete free from the speakers. It is that the speakers look so good so my eyes are automatically attracted to them, otherwise you’d easily forget them. Bass is tight (I think slight weaker then the Kanta’s) and the 3D imaging (holistic) is marvelous. I haven’t changed the positioning yet and currently have a small toe-in. To my ears it is good, but I might experiment in the near future.

Iver

3 Likes

A recent review in Whathifi online, if you are interested. ( free by google)

1 Like

Are you bi-wiring/bi-amping? If single amping, which terminals are you plugging your sp cables into?
I’m just wondering as I’ve taken delivery of a pair of Ex-demo Olympica 1s (in Wenge too, not as slick as your Novas in the looks dept. but lovely) to go with my Star. They’re still running in so perhaps a bit early to be experimenting but I’ve found that plugging into the hi terminals rather than low seems to improve pace, smoothes the top end and adds detail, at the expense of a tiny bit of bass.

Hi @Maccaboy10, I am single amping using the 300Dr. I use the lower terminals just because the guy installing them did so. Haven’t tried the Hi terminals but now you are bringing the topic up, I might try. Just checked the manual and - even though not specifically called out - the pictures also show High Terminals.

Olympica 1’s are stunning. Enjoy yours

Iver

1 Like

Hi all,

The new SF Nova’s 3 are fully run in now and I am extremely pleased with them. Sounding fantastic. Apart from slightly more toe-in, I did not adjust speaker positioning. Still some 90cm from the side walls and 80com from the backwall.

In the meantime I also replaced the HiLine with a SuperLumina Din IC. Even though there is an uplift, the difference with the HiLine is very, very limited. The SL is not new so should be run in. Will see what happens the next few weeks.

What did make a surprisingly big difference was to finally have a dedicated spur installed. I use SupraLorad cable, AHP Klangmodule and a Furutech TP60E block to connect the PowerIgel (which has the whole system). I read about this many times, but never got a chance to have the spur installed. Highly recommended. More of everything !

Iver

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.