SORN car status

Possibly not, but I have seen some vans on the road in recent years in that area, generally speed vans, but who knows what they might flag up now.

It the ANPR cameras that you have to watch out for ?

1 Like

I think the way round this is that you pre-book the MOT. If the car is obviously unroadworthy then when the garage see it, they will refuse to do the MOT and before you drive it away back home, they can quite legitimately give it the once over and tell you what they think. So yes you need insurance but no you don’t need tax.

1 Like

If the vehicle is deemed unroadworthy how would you stand re insurance I’m pretty sure that you must make sure your vehicle is in a roadworthy condition to comply with insurance requirements?.

Tricky isn’t it! If I felt it was unsafe I wouln’t even attempt it, but how many cars are driven around that then fail their next MOTs?

Issues which would need correcting:

Slow punctures on 2 tyres. Suspect at least 2 new ones needed.
Possibly new battery if no longer holds charge well.
New key or key pairing to avoid alarm going off when you manually open it rather than using the fob (messed up when I changed the battery).
Brakes may have seized. Could probably test on drive before going anywhere.
Quality of residual petrol fuel.
Effects of damp - unlikely to cause it to be unroadworthy but may need a thorough valet of internal seats etc.
Then of course any other standard MOT issues.

Doesn’t sound promising does it!

Unless it’s cherished or valuable then it may be best to sell it as “spares or repair” or scrap it.

What is it?

Embarrassing to say :joy: An old petrol VW Polo which she had new.

So probably not worth saving then? :thinking::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Probably not but I’m useless at getting rid of things.

Two potential benefits:

1 - an old banger might be useful for work where parking is increasingly difficult with tight spaces and the risk of someone else bashing your car as they get out

2 - if any of the trade-in deals still apply for old cars with an MOT (held for so many months hence need to MOT it), some used to offer several thousand pound on trade-in, so that could be a bonus when the current vehicles leases come to an end if we decided to buy.

I didn’t think old bangers would be wanted as trade-in - why would they want it? Usually the best deals are without a trade-in.

In order to perform an MoT you need a working battery as they have to start the vehicles several times. That money before you even start!

My old car is in for repair work and I expect the bill to be 15-18k. :scream:

1 Like

I was thinking of those trade-ins for older theoretically less efficient engine vehicles encouraging you to upgrade to something more modern until they change their tune again.

Given the push to use diesel cars I did so in 2006 and it certainly did fairly well mpg wise, but we are no told the particulate emissions are dangerous.

What do people think of these ‘claim compo’ ads on the radio if you’ve bought or leased diesel vehicles?

Are you thinking of the scrappage scheme? This was government funded hence generous trade ins on tatty old Micras etc. And sadly some classic cars too. :frowning:

Yes that one. May no longer exist.

Some manufacturers are offering scrappage schemes.
Kia are offering up to £2500 depending on the model you are purchasing.

1 Like

Most scrappage schemes require the car to be in good working order with an MOT.

1 Like

Yes, precisely why I’d need an MOT plus most require the vehicle to have been owned by someone (Mrs AC in this case, sole owenr from new) for a set period of time.

I think the MOT is the crux of it as it would demonstrate the vehicle was roadworthy, though if that’s the case seems a shame to scrap it, but that’s what the incentives were there for.

We have a larger leased family vehicle which is fine for family trips/longer journeys, but as eco-unfriendly as it may sound an old banger might be better for some day to day uses from a practical viewpoint - smaller footprint for parking in cramped work car parks and less concern about accidental damage from other vehicles, an older car I’d not worry about carrying garden refuse to the tip or other dirty/dusty items from stores (compost/log burner fuel etc).

You’ve talked yourself into it :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

No, I’ll procrastinate as ever !

2 Likes