Sound levels

I used ear plugs and Bose QC noise-cancelling headphones in the film Oppenheimer at a Vue cinema, and it was still too loud.

I downloaded a db app and tried it in my Y6 classroom when the children were working on a group activity a couple of days ago - the peak recorded was 98db - about the level of a petrol lawnmower.

Around 9-10 o’clock on the knob.

Rough end of Kent that.

1 Like

What type?

These are the last lot I used-

-Alpine PartyPlug Ear Plugs for Concerts - Noise Cancelling Ear Plugs for Party and Clubbing - 21dB Premium Hearing Protection Against Loud Sound & Party Music

Nothing overly hi tec

1 Like

I listen at levels which seem to mimick real life. Of course they don’t really - in a normal size domestic lounge many things would sound oppressive or unbearable if they actually sounded as in real life. But I find that it greatly adds to the illusion of reality this way. Music takes on a physical weight and presence that it lacks at lower volumes. The recordings themselves tend to dictate the actual volume setting to achieve this. Some recordings are made in such a way that they just sound plain wrong whatever replay level one chooses.

1 Like