Sound quality down with new NAS. UPnP server issues?

Just installed a new Synology NAS as my old Netgear was getting noisy at at over 10years I thought worth refreshing. The Netgear ran a bundled UPnP server, I’m not sure what exactly.

The sound quality is definitely ‘off’ from before. I installed Asset on the new NAS as the UPnP server but nothing else has changed. It sounds a bit congested and lost some of the sweetness and clarity. Not a small difference to my ears.

Firstly any suggestions as to why Asset should be inferior (assuming it is that)? I am struggling to see how to access Asset settings via the Synology control panel but I assume it is playing at full res. I note the option on the app to stream as WAV but I’ve always used FLAC played as FLAC before

Second is there any issue if I installed Minimserver and/or the Synolog DS Audio servers as well? They are both offered as possible downloads. Would it create any problems having them all installed so I can do some sound comparisons?

Or is it just my ears!

Bruce

You can install another upnp server, the app will just show two in the server section.
Cannot offer explanation for inferior sound other than asset is converting to compressed format.
Settings are in the Package Centre/ Installed / Assett section.

Mt dealer uses Netgear NAS drives (although obviously he wants to sell you a Core) and I vaguely recall @Simon-in-Suffolk saying that he had good results with them too, so perhaps you are onto something there. I think the 1st gen. streamers are more susceptible to these things too, including preferring WAV to FLAC, which Asset and Minimserver can convert on the fly.

You can certainly instal multiple servers on a NAS. (There will already be Synology’s own media server installed, maybe not set to run by default.) They will both appear in the Naim app, although theoretically you might get better results if you only have one running at a time to give the NAS less work.

Webpage doesn’t load when I click this
Get err_connection_refused

Firewall issue? Using Chrome incidentally.

Bruce

Mmm, strange. Can you get to Package Center at all?

Yes. Asset is there and shown as installed but if I click ‘open’ a new page opens but with the connection refused message.

Is there a mobile (android) app that might give me access to the programs?

Bruce

Try a reset of the NAS and log on again.

Done that. Had the system up for several days.

Bruce

1 Like

I have to drop out of the Forum now, will check in again tomorrow. Thanks for all suggestions.

Bruce

This is strange; I’ve spent some time comparing NAS brands & media server software with mates & we were hard pressed to detect much if any difference.

RE: I am struggling to see how to access Asset settings via the Synology control panel but I assume it is playing at full res.
You don’t access Asset from the Synology Control Panel.
Its done on your laptop/PC browser home screen
On the home screen URL line, type your NAS IP Address (e.g. 192.168.1.123) then add :45537
This opens Asset in new tab, save that as a bookmark

That’s not the way to open Asset configuration with Synology

Mike, what screen do you see with your method, if I may?

As I posted above
Its done on your laptop/PC browser home screen
On the home screen URL line, type your NAS IP Address (e.g. 192.168.1.123) then add :45537
This opens Asset in new tab, save that as a bookmark

You will find numbers of config screens …… I can’t post them all & what they all do but here is a flavour

Quick update.

It definitely is running-it is visible in the Naim app and no other media severs installed (yet).

I cannot access Asset via the Package Centre as discussed, I have the same page (albeit in English) but clicking open as discussed doesn’t work. Access blocked.

Thanks however to Mike-B, entering IP address and :45537 does open all the settings pages and I have checked it is delivering files at full resolution as far as I can tell. Not the most attractive or well explained interface but I am assuming under ‘Audio Format Streaming’ the boxes should be set to ‘Maximium (any bits) (any frequency) (any channels)’. I have all formats set to ‘stream as is’ but might try streaming as WAV at some point.

I need to spend some time with this over the next few days, perhaps with an alternative media player. I still have my old NAS with all my music files loaded so I can even put that back again too.

Thanks for the help will report back in a few days when I have had time to fiddle.

Bruce

This is a link to the Asset forum re setting up Asset on Synology DSM-7 https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?47473-Asset-UPnP-on-Synology-DSM-7&p=207422#post207422

FWIW I found having more than one UPnP server running at a time did slightly degrade sound quality on a QNAP NAS I owned a couple of years ago

If I wanted to start again how do I uninstall it?

Edit: Just did quick Search and got those details. Look before you post…

Note my Asset .spk file is a trial version (but for DSM7) as not paid yet. Not going to make a difference surely?

Bruce

Your NDS screen shows the resolution thats playing

1 Like

:+1:

There’s no doubt in my mind, that both different NAS and different uPnP servers CAN sound different.

1 Like