Sound quality varies during the day and night

Thanks for the info. I had not perceived an issue but now I have something else to investigate and worry about.

Yes…I suppose I should update my profile with the gear I have.
But Just FYI LP12/ DV 20Xx2, Lingo 3, CDX2/XPS2/ 82/SC/ 250/ SBLs MK1/Headline2/HC, Sennheiser HD660s and Beyerdynamic T5 3.

Which would be ‘better’? The power strip or the grahams hifi?

IMO, the ambient noise outside and inside the home is much less at nigth so the very low sound signals are better perceived and the dynamic range increase.

1 Like

Prior to a dedicated radial with individual sockets and powerlines I had a Hydra, highly recommended.

2 Likes

I recommend one of those $15 plugin mains checkers. The ones that test that L, N and E are wired correctly and gives you a frequency and voltage readout. Simpler than a multimeter and super useful. Just plug it in and watch the screen a couple times a day. It might show you are worrying about nothing.

I use one for checking out the wiring in new properties us up to scratch. You’d be surprised how often earth goes nowhere or earth and neutral are mixed up. They often have a RCD test feature too for checking that the breaker actually trips on a short.

1 Like

I used to have a checker but without the frequency/voltage read-outs. I either lost it or someone nicked it. Probably a good idea to get a new one with the features you mention as always useful.

I always find my system sounds the best during the day when I’m alone in the house for a few hours. All house keeping and cleaning duties fulfilled and somethings roasting in the oven and chilling in the fridge. :star_struck:

3 Likes

Regarding Solar panels, I am not aware if there are any audio grade inverters. The problem is that the Solar Panel Inverters and Battery packs Inverters, do not need to produce a pure sine wave AC current for them to be acceptable for household appliances.

Also if your Voltage levels are already on the high side, an Inverter can take them over the recommended limit of 263Volts. The inverter should automatically cut out if it goes too high, so you will know about it. In fact I had over Voltage, and it turned out my local substation had the wrong setting (for the last 20years)

Saying all that, I have experimented with turning my panels on and off, and I can hear no difference in SQ. Then again I tend to concentrate on music more at night.

If you google “Music system sounds better at night?” You can see lots of discussion and videos with explanations.
The PS Audio YouTube videos are interesting (Of course PS Audio make regenerators!)

And I would buy one if I could afford one!

The more time I spend on this forum the more I find problems I did not know I had.

1 Like

My system sounds better in the late evening but I think there are other factors at play ie we pull the curtains shut and get the drinks flowing.

Curious on the solar panel issues - I would have thought the inverters themselves would be a potential source of electrical noise

Yes, for me SQ is best late at night when others are asleep in my house (and in the local area) because:

• less ambient noise in my house and my street
  • less electrical noise in my house and my street
  • large thick curtains closed over large windows either end of the room
  • more relaxed and focussed
  • sometimes wine added to listener

I don’t notice my solar panels/inverter making any difference to SQ, although there could possibly be a small effect that I’ve not been looking out for.

3 Likes

Certainly others have reported worse SQ when Panels are active, but my experience is no difference in SQ or Hums. It may be my ears, or the possibility that their Inverters are older, who knows.

Second that! :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

82 year-old retired lawyer Takeo Morita is a contender for the world’s most dedicated audiophile. Nicknamed ‘Rock Grandpa’ by his local record store, Morita paid $10,000 to plant a 40 foot utility pole in his garden that he has connected to the power grid to give his hi-fi setup its own source of “pure” power.

1 Like

Clearly he’s not met some of the nutters on here then. They’d tell him, “you really need to get that on a rack mate. Oooh not sure about McIntosh. Your room layout needs work.

His pole cost was mainly the custom isolating transformer he had made and a made to order CU and earthing arrangement. Having your own utility pole isn’t so unusual and he went for the cheapest possible. Panasonic make more aesthetically pleasing utility poles for siting on your property. We’ve opted for one of those. Nothing audio related about the decision though.

2 Likes

They haven’t met these gentlemen:

I found that when I installed the battery the problem went away. I have a 12.5 kWH Lithium Iron Phosphate battery and it effectively decouples the house from the solar panels. Usual thing, lower noise floor, better PRaT.

1 Like

But did he do a blind test against a regular feed from the house :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

That’s good to know thanks. We’re getting a visit and quote in a few weeks, so will keep this in mind. I do know, through a battery might double the cost….