Sound

While getting the 300’s burndies off the floor is a very good idea, it’s the din to XLR leads that are really sensitive. It’s ideal if they can be arranged so that they don’t touch anything at all.

I was intrigued by the idea off things going microphonic. It’s not something I’ve heard of before - reading the description it’s as if vibrations build up to a point at which everything goes pear shaped. Certainly the idea of the Fraim is to channel unwanted vibration to ground.

If something is microphonic it is when you tap it, the sound can be heard through the speakers. I have never come across this with Naim equipment. Surely, Naim build their kit to a very high standards with the best components. Are we really suggesting that Naim kit is so badly designed as to be susceptible to this?
Before anyone disappears down this rabbit hole I would suggest making the room better with some carpet covering the tiles would be better than worrying which shelf the equipment sits on.

1 Like

Iv got a few rugs on the floor n the sorpas are on spikes n disks… Contemplating gaia I for them there is curtains n stuff round the room… So it’s getting there… :grin:

Prompted by the comment about Lack tables makes me think sideways.
Having cash and access to Ikea, plus how fast you want to try things out and whether it is domestically acceptable to move the table you are currently using all come into play.
There are plenty of Lack hacks if you search the net, but something quick, how about two Lack TV benches type 201.053.41 and a pack of cork table mats 201.053.41
Stack the benches gives you three or four levels, gets everything off the floor (especially that record dusting brush), allows cables to hang and cut up the cork for under the equipment feet.
All for less than £100 and appears to cover all the points so far?

1 Like

Take a tip from me.

Before you start playing around with the room and things like Gaia, get the Fraim(s?) set-up, give it a month and then see how the sound is.

Your comments give the impression you’ve moved quite fast in falling in love with the Naim sound and buying the kit, which isn’t a bad thing, but given your observations at the top of this thread IMV you need to pause and understand how it will sound when better set up - and that may be quite different to now, as the soundscape fills out.

As you may have read on other threads, one can manage the environment with room treatment (inc rugs et al) but you need a solid base-line to work off, which = properly set up kit (inc all cabling).

Meantime, as a quick & cheap test, you can try out disconnecting some of the kit from the floor and/or shuffling soft furnishings about.

1 Like

A good test is to clap, or make some other sharp sound in your room. If there is any echo or reflection then there is a problem and any hifi will not sound as it should. Ideally there should be a wall to wall fitted carpet. It may not be esthetically what you desire but sonically it would serve you well.

Yep happy listener I think that sounds like a plan… N iv done the clap round the room its all good it just echoes when I doit in the hall… So something less to worry about… Yep I moved pretty fast the supernait 2 n the hicap dr got me n then hearing the 250 when I was demoing speakers… Made me do it :grin: n maybe I could try the Ikea stuff until I save enough cash for the fraims… That sounds like common sense… Thanks everyone… I’m used to buying kit I can stick anywhere n it didn’t mater that much :pensive:

@Thescotsman

You may want to check with your dealer and see what he may have for used racks in his shop. While you are saving up for the Fraim rack he may have some used racks that others have traded in as they go through their upgrades. There may be some alternatives that will be an improvement over present conditions until you can reach your final goal.

Good luck and enjoy the journey…

1 Like

OK so today iv moved the boxes n tided the cables and made sure not touching wall n floor… I’ll get cork later for underneath but can definitely hear an uplift in sq… Bass notes seem better ie can hear them being played better n more prominent… And Def more dynamic so thank you everyone again for all Ur help and advice… But rather than get different tables I’d rather save n get the fraims and that’s it done properly :flushed::flushed: I thought buying records was an expensive hobby… Until I discovered naim :grin:

1 Like

Don’t overlook that you will need floor protectors (e.g. Naim Chips* - if they still do them?) alongside the Fraim i.e. to protect the tiles, as the Fraim bases have sharp spikes. *There are many brands of these, some with eye-watering prices - welcome to the land of hi-fi tweaking!

There are several ways to go with Fraim - you can mix and match across the product range (which can save a few £’s).

Suggest have a long look back on the System Pics thread - some very good examples on there.

It’s also not optimal to have kit under a TV and between speakers - but, for many, that’s domestic compromise.

1 Like

OK cool cheers for the advice yep I’m no happy about the boxes bien under tv n behind centre speaker… But when I get fraims hopefully I can move them to side wall n get a new centre speaker… I think the superline will need to wait till later now I’ll persevere with stageline… N I’m sure iv seen naim floor protectors on ebay :flushed:yep does get expensive but it is a good sound tho… N yep I wish the warm up stage (that sound) :grin:would last longer haha I felt like the old memorex advert guy… But thanks again for all Ur advice much appreciated happy listener

I use isoblue racks with my naim kit to very good affect. The are commonly available used for around £75 per level. The sonic improvement over the old target racks was quite surprising to me.

1 Like

Cool they look pretty cool

I’ve had both Isoblue and Fraim, as well as several others. The Fraim is significantly better and if that’s what you are already thinking of and budgeting for then I’d suggest you stick with that plan. With equipment at the level you have, it makes most sense. If you want something cheaper, the Quadraspire SVT in bamboo is extremely good.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.