We are in process of a house move. While for the hi-fi a detached house is the main choice a really nice semi (probably 1970’s ish) has come on the market. I play my equipment fairly loud at time, i.e. at (classical) concert volume. Would soundproofing the room and/or the adjoining wall be of any use? Somehow I suspect not. Any experience members have on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Is it an end of terrace house?

No. A semi detached former bungalow.

Check this out…

Sure, may I ask what youre trying to achieve. Do you want to prevent sound getting into your room or noise getting out?

I looked into this in a previous end terraced house. For it to be effective it needs to be done professionally and is difficult to completely soundproof a room. I ended up not attempting it and compromised with volume. Others may have a different experience

If I were buying a semi I’d try to get one with the halls adjoining, separating the living rooms.

Soundproofing depends hugely on the construction. I had a mid terraced house built in 1818, stone built, single room width (no hall) where the only sound we could hear from next door was them using the stairs that at one side wer fixed to the party wall - and both neighbours said they could barely hear my music when. Played at loud, which was seriously loud and with full range speakers.

A timber frame terraced house built in 1976 was Also excellent, lounges full width. We occasionally heard next door’s TV - but only when both we and they had rear windows to the garden open, and next door the other side had their baby and we had no idea till a week or so later, their bedroom adjoining ours, but not a sound through. And again both neighbours said my music at loudest was scarcely audible.

But with a 1920s semi, on the other hand, brick built, we could hear people talking next door, just not quite make out the words - but that had twin lounges, and we used the outer one for music, so no issues.

If the houses have poor sound insulation it is possible to ‘soundproof’ adequately, but depending exactly how the sound is getting through it can take time, effort, cost, and make your rooms narrower. (Cost can be relatively small if you DIY, but be prepared to do good research first to understand what you’re doing). Essentially you have to find and seal air leaks (around joists is common), and then reduce conduction, usually by building a false wall - as masssive (dense) as possible, plus killing sound that gets through that by packing sound absorbent material behind: minimum would be double layer 12mm plasterboard with sealed joints and the joints not aligned, on a framework not fixed to the wall, and with, say, 70 or 100mm of high density rockwool filling the gap. That might be enough, but depending on construction sound could be conducted via ceiling and/or floor, so you might need to either add a false ceiling in similar and/or sound proofing to the floor.

I’ve sound proofed my listening room. Its a timber build house with solid brick cladding. I’ve put in a solid core door, sound line wall gibb (that what it’s called here) in the walks noise insolation bats all round and having PVC double glazed windows helps a lot too. These windows are stupidly expensive in this country. Like you wouldn’t believe how we get shafted over here!
What to look for, I feel the thing you must take into account is air circulation you can overdo It, it’s not only harder to close the door but your room must breathe, imo don’t over do it.
Sonically it’s a much better room to.
Hope that helps and gives you a bit more of the puzzle.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.