Source or Pre-amp on a Budget?

Here’s another one!

Sell the SU, push the boat out and get an NDX2. Use it in ‘Variable volume’ mode direct into the power amp while you save for a proper preamp.
You would need to have a cable made up to do this. Unlike your other Naim options, you would be buying this new, so you would be able to demo it before committing.

Hi ChrisSU, thanks for your suggestion.

I did discuss this idea with my dealer last summer, I asked them to check with Naim tech concerning the viability of using the volume controlled output on the NDX2 into my power amp, they confirmed that this was possible, they made no plea for me not to do this, or even that the result would be poor, just that it was not the optimal configuration. I understand this and I was encouraged by what seemed to be a very measured response, but I had been put off by subsequent comments here.

At the end of the day I know that I need to go out there and try a few ideas. The few I have in mind are, NDX2 into NAP300DR / NDX2 into NAC282 into NAP300DR and SU into NAC282 into NAP300DR even if I cannot afford all of these options right now I can see what the effect sounds like then decide what next step to take. My dealer has already suggested that I come in to try the NDX2, so I am sure that he will be happy to set up the above configurations.

It will be interesting to see how much the dealer protests when I suggest trying an alternative pre amp, perhaps I should leave that for another day! :0)

Yes, I dare say the NDX2 direct into a power amp would be sub-optimal, but not as much so as a SU - you would be using a much better streamer with better functionality. Then you are in a good position to choose that all-important preamp (or not!) knowing that you can assess it in your system and make the right choice.

I’m not sure if your budget includes any trade-ins or whether these are fair game to up the amount spent.

The SuperUniti could be exchanged for an NDX (original)
A 282/HicapDR would be doable for £3000 if bought used.

Later on you can explore upgrading the NDX, either with the new model or by adding a power supply.

The NDX bare is very good, I used one for years with a 282/Hicap DR/250 DR and enjoyed it very much.

Whilst I understand the will to buy into the new platform, the old one is pretty good and with the hit on used prices having been taken you are unlikely to lose too much should you wish to upgrade in the future.

Roog,

Having been on the upgrade path for many years I’d give the 72 some serious consideration. And although I eventually moved on to a 52 - then later to a 552, I’d not under-estimate the capabilities of a 72.

I’m one of the few that preferred it over the 82 (and even a 282). If my 552 has to go to Naim my 72 is always on stand-by duty and never fails to impress me even on a 500DR. Of course it lacks the ultimate transparency of the 52/552 but it can still play music very convincingly.

Samples from around 1995 were particularly sweet sounding.

1 Like

Not a recommendation because I’ve not heard it but there seems to be a few people, some associated with hifi Critic, using a Townshend allegri+ into Naim power amps, could be worth comparing to a valve pre if you’re going non Naim on the pre, you’ll still need a streaming source though.

I was a little disappointed with an Allegri + compared to my 282, but it does still sound quite nice, and I haven’t totally given up on the idea yet.

Good points all, well if I can replace the streamer function at the same time as providing the pre amp, amp driving function then I can release the value of the SU, but at the moment the only option I can see this working for is the less than optimal NDX2 direct into the 300. Otherwise I need to keep the SU for its streamer or pre amp functionality.

I guess that has to be the first test, I would like to compare this to the SU feeding the 300. I would be disturbed if the less than optimal NDX2 didn’t sound better than the SU.

Or I could look for a lower cost pre owned pre from say: Krell, Exposure, or as previously mentioned the NAC72?

I am not so sure if a dealer demo is a good test in this case. You will probably be excited by the amount of details you hear (streamer to Poweramp directly), but it does not tell you if it is engaging on the longer term. I would really try to have the dealer demoing including a pre - whatever pre it is.

Personally I’d go for the Nac 72 since you stay close to the Naim sound and it is beer money (well, in Scandinavia).

@Roog I am in the same situation. Trying to decide on the preamp/source right steps. And its the preamp that is the hard part. I am currently running my old streamer (logitech/slim devices transporter) directly into my NAP300. Its good but not great, and all the experience on this forum is telling me to focus on the preamp. Eventually an NDX2 would replace my current streamer. Right now I am thinking more about the 272 option…but for its preamp, not its streaming capability?? So step 1 old streamer into NAC 272 (would also give me a chance to compare the streaming of those two) then later NDX2 into NAC 272. Naim is well regarded for its preamps…I wonder how the preamp in the 272 compares. Above the 202 but below the 252/282?

So in your case, can you get a demo of the SU into the 272. Not immediately intuitive I know, but I’d be interested :slight_smile:

Well, you’ve seen the other threads so you know this is what I tried. I was convinced it would be fine, and astonished by how much better it got with the preamp in place. In retrospect, I wouldn’t recommend the NDX2 into 300, not even short term. It’s very far from optimal. Heck, I was surprised by the difference going from the RCA outputs on my NDX2 to the DIN outputs!

1 Like

Yes I’m planning on having a chat with Martin Colloms about his experience of passive pre amps whilst I am at the Bristol HiFi show.

auralic vega preamp/ streamer. Around 5 k. Seems tempting, more than the 272, a bit old streamer, and expensive with a ps. Analog volume control.

Rood - if £3k is your upgrade limit then an NDX2 is unaffordable at this stage and also leaves nothing for a pre-amp. What about an 82 with an ND5XS2? 82s go for £750-£1000 and you wouldn’t lose much if/when you trade up later to a more modern pre. A service with an authorised Naim agent is around £250 if one is needed. The ND5XS2 gives you the latest streaming platform and it will be suitable for a trade up to an NDX2 eventually.

You really need to keep your longer term end system in mind here rather than focus on a short-term bodge that costs you in the end.
I had a 72 for years - it’s a decent pre but is perhaps a dated design and not - IMO - quite up to a 300DR (which ideally matches a 252/SCDR).
Regrettably £3K isn’t enough to fund both a source and a pre that will provide a longterm match for the 300 so you either need to spend it on a source which will work with the 300 until you can afford a proper pre (NDX2?) or get a pre now ( I’d suggest a 282) and run it with your SU until you can afford to complete the system.
Buying lesser kit will just entrench the mullet.

2 Likes

Or… get a 272 now and add a s/h 555PS DR when you can afford it.

Agreed, the NDX2 route assumes that I sell the SU, hence the direct to power amp route option, or cheap pre probably non naim. Seems like a sad thing to do though.

Ah yes the £3k is for one or the other, definitely not both streamer and pre.

Yep alternative front end to Naim is looking more likely , I was listening to a G2 set up today, it would be Worth a home trial.

Seems like the ND5 XS2 playing into the Superuniti is the way to go as a next step for your budget, or push the boat out for the NDX2. Then swap the Superuniti out for a pre amp later on.