Speaker audition recommendations with a difference

As a Kudos owner I would definitely suggest you have them on your audition list. They are certainly revealing - whether you interpret this as ‘bright’ is a more personal thing which an audition would clarify for you. The SN will drive them OK whilst they will improve with better amplification as your system evolves.

They are easy to place in a room from a SQ perspective, quite heavy.

You can also weight a lot of speakers with mass filling.

ATC’s are definitely worth an audition. I’ve owned PMC DB1’s , 23’s and 24’s. PMC are great speakers although the 24’s were to much for my room (impulse purchase fro a friend) just move to ATC and loving them.

Get thee to thy dealer. While many will recommend what they have you need to choose for yourself. I absolutely would not go for a speaker that ‘suits’ Snorah Jones. You want something that’s great for everything and encourages you to expand your musical horizons.

2 Likes

Hi @popeye given your unfortunate accident I think you should consider the design of your proposed replacement in detail, in particular around the base. The options you list are all fine speakers, personally I have the PMC Twenty5 23’s and Spendor A4’s, I like both, fine speakers. The PMC, Proac’s and the Focal Kanta’s have " extension " feet providing a bit more stability, the Spendors are really nice speakers, probably my favourites out of those you list. Just thought I would point out the design advantages in terms of stability of some.
The other option is to fit something like the ISOacoustic Gaia feet to add stability.

2 Likes

They have, I would have never listened to Norah Jones! :joy:

1 Like

Hi I’m using PMC 25/26 with my Supernait 2 and they’re currently sited about 9 inches from my back wall. For me they sound excellent and have a full bodied detailed sound and I find the amplifier well capable of driving them to a good volume. I don’t doubt a 250 DR would be marginally better but I’m extremely happy with this combination. A dealer audition is definitely a must when contemplating an upgrade like this. I hope this may help in some way in choosing the right speaker for you.

1 Like

Speakers are so much a matter of taste that only you will be able to tell what suits. I would certainly agree ex-demo not new because it increases your buying power - secondhand even better, but comparative demo only possible from a dealer. (Many people selling speakers at that level will be prepared to let you hear at their home.)

Agree a couple of dealers have already told me they will deliver there ex Demo units and I can have 14days and within that they will pick them up free of charge also.

1 Like

IB’s right in that speakers are such a personal choice that you need to,listen, but to add a suggestion, don’t rule out the PMC Twenty5.23, smaller than the PMCs you’re thinking of, but in my second system downstream of a Nova they sound amazing 30cm from a rear wall, and with the feet it’d be a challenge to knock them over. They go deep, fill a room with sound, and would work really well with an SN given how well they work with a Nova.

You don’t want anything under a shelf. They all need to be in front to avoid sounding shut in and congested. Think air.

I am referring to them being able to be pushed right back when I am not using.

Ok, but it’s really not practical moving a large, heavy speaker around every time you want to listen. It will make listening a chore.

Listening to music is never a chore! Going out shopping to Tesco’s is a chore! Plus it’s only for a few years while the kids are little.
Plus your talking to the man that kept a full marine reef tank for several years, that’s a chore!

Fair enough, but do reflect on what I said when you stop listening to music. Will you really move a 30kg speaker in and out, day in day out? At 11pm when you are knackered and have had a couple of glasses of wine?

Having little ones the things you have to do! It’s a ritual most evenings before bed, putting the speaker grills back on! Haha

HH is right. Moving speakers of any size around when you want to listen or when you stop will become very tiresome very quickly. You’ll just stop doing it which means you’ll need a pair that are safe when in the “listening position”.

I have laminate floor so on protectors, it’s a case of just sliding, like I do into bed. :joy:
If it was carpet and spikes, I would agree. Being a plumber I have washing machines in and out on what feels like a daily basis.

1 Like

Well you are Popeye, Spinach and all that…power to your arm👍

3 Likes