Speaker build - CNO4

The tweeter isn’t, but I think the midrange is. AFAIK Faital Pro only make PA drivers.

The more I think about this build, the more I think this is a good idea. I probably won’t make it to size, but it will put my ideas into practice and I can see how it goes together without wasting too much wood.

Hello Mark, sorry I missed your reply yesterday.

When I mentioned the panel sizes to Troels he suggested increasing the cabinet width by 10mm for the 25mm MDF and keeping the front baffle width the same. It does state everywhere on his site to not change front panel sizes but it must be ok for the tweeter if he’s suggesting it himself!

I have since found somewhere that stocks 21mm Baltic birch with a reasonable delivery time and cost so I’m leaning towards that now … ‘real’ wood so would be easier to paint and finish, the front panel stained black could look nice with the ply layers on the edges too.

So much to think about before getting the kit!
Cheers

Yes this being my first build I need to practice with the tools and experiment using cheap MDF before I tackle the real thing.

I’ve done a design for a test cabinet that takes important dimensions from the plans and includes all the things involved in the build.

Looking forward to starting on this, MDF is in the garage waiting for me to have time … busy at work so probably a couple of weeks.
Cheers

4 Likes

Yes you’ve really started something with this thread!

Will share progress when I get going, mistakes and all! Should probably start a new topic! :grinning:

Not that my opinion matters, I say keep it here because it becomes an exhaustive record of speakers builds. Of course, others may feel otherwise and whatever you decide is fine.

2 Likes

Nor mine, but I second your motion :slight_smile:

Or maybe it’s a thread for speaker builds, for people called Mark!?

2 Likes

The problem is when it becomes too long people don’t want to scroll through all the irrelevant messages. I was thinking to maybe rename the thread with the addition of the speaker name. So mine would become CNO4 speaker build.

3 Likes

As I said whatever everyone prefers - even though I can’t do any of this it has been really cool to see the effort and craftsmanship. Very enjoyable. Even sent the link to a buddy of mine who doesn’t do hi-fi but really likes woodworking, and he liked it a lot.

2 Likes

That’s great thanks for the comments. I am glad you enjoyed it. I am looking forward to see others builds!

Thought I’d do a little update. These speakers are amazing. I was laid on the couch last night having a play with the colours on some new smart lights with the Atom on volume no 15. The bass was full and I felt that I was missing nothing from the lower octaves. These speakers have completely changed my low volume listening. The seas nextel drivers with a 1st order crossover are so good. The music just flows out of the speakers! Fabulous.

25 Likes

First order crossovers are the only way to go if you are into the music. Anything else is usually a compromise. It does require that you have drivers that are well behaved above and below the crossover freqs. I have them myself.

2 Likes

I had a read about your speakers. They look pretty unique!

Yes, all ribbons, all first order crossovers, all air core inductors, and all metalized polypropylene Caps—and that was 1982 when they were designed, I have a project to upgrade the crossovers to the best caps today, along with foil wound inductors and precision resistors. I am using the original crossovers from 1982, and it does hold up very well. Hope to upgrade this summer. Thinking of V Caps, or Duelands, or Mundorfs. Have not heard any of them. I need 240 mic$ per $ide. About like a black box upgrade. Duelands would be like a $tatement upgrade.

@n-lot have you seen these? Is this The speaker you are thinking of building? This is a great example. I think it looks really nice.

3 Likes

It is the basic model, but it’s normally a bit shorter requiring a low stand. Looks like this builder extended the sides to make it a proper floorstander. (Increased the volume?)

I prefer the original look on stands, like this.

I might also copy the slightly recessed front panel of this one. I checked with Troels and shouldn’t matter if only a few mm. But I won’t have it black.

I’m actually going to the workplace I’m planning to use in about half an hour to check it out and have a chat with the owner about my project.

That’s awesome news. Hope it goes well.

That speaker has been extended to a floor stander size. I read the build page and it can be done to increase volume and increase the low end extension a little.

The other speaker also looks nice. Like a “classic” 3 way classic!

Are you going to do the beryllium version?

Yes, going for the classic look and also beryllium, but not yet decided on the caps etc.

1 Like

The workshop looks really good. Not horribly expensive, all tools available. The big and hand tools included, anything with a battery and/or cord can be rented. All sorts of router bits, drills etc. available.
And they have deals with several material suppliers so stuff can be delivered straight there.
I’m going to go for it.

But an interesting development is that the 3WC-15" is back on the table. Part of the deal is though that I finish our patio first. So the speaker build might be slightly delayed.

Great news on the workshop. Do you get any help using the tools or do you have to figure it out yourself?
It’s probably best that you sort the patio out first so when the speakers are finished you don’t have to worry about moving on to another job and you can just enjoy them. That 15” version is a hell of a speaker! It’s huge!

1 Like