Speaker pairing with Supernait 3

Dear all,
Coming from a Nait 5i + B&W CDM7SE (sources are Rega P3, CD63MkIIKI and Technics ST-c700d), I would like to upgrade my system.
I would like to stay with a Naim amplification, and go with the top of the line integrated, that is, the Naim Supernait 3 which I have only heard good about, and seems to be a very logical, more powerful and refined upgrade.
I may not need to stay with B&W, though. My listening room is rather small with 14 sqm, but it is fully open behind the listening position to a complex multiroom adding up to 60 sqm in total. When I turn up the volume with the 5i/CDM7se, I see/hear the limitations of both the amp and loudspeakers which have a hard time filling that big volume.
I really like the definition of the crystalline highs, natural voices and deep dry bass with the current set-up. I have noticed some typical sound signature from B&W where voices are projected upfront, while they stay more in the background with other brands like Focal. I am open to any best compatible speaker brand with Naim (Is Focal/Naim really such an amazing pair?).
Thanks,
Damian

1 Like

Youā€™ll have lots of options but most people will tell you that Speaker pairing comes down to room and personal choice.

I love my ProAcā€™s with my Supernait 3.

2 Likes

ā€¦ if you type ā€˜SN3 and speakersā€™ into the search feature 50+ thread results show, so there have been some discussion on the subject in the past and may of help to you.

I have used ProAc D2R, ProAc D30RS and Naim Ovator S400 speakers with a SN2 in the past. Good luck with your searchā€¦

1 Like

Atc scm7 will work in that room nicely

1 Like

The Supernait 3 is an excellent amplifier and will drive all sorts of speakers. Itā€™s a good idea to think about your budget and whether you want stand mounts or floor standers. That will help focus suggestions.

The challenge that you have is that none of your sources are of a standard to match well with the SN3. Youā€™d do well to think about upgrading at least your main source to a suitable standard.

5 Likes

I would also suggest the Spendor A7 and D7.2. I have the D7.2 speakers powered by 282/200/HC but demoed both with the SN3 as amplification, which was a good match for both speakers. The D7.2 is more impressive than the A7 but both are very good. My listening room is roughly comparable in size to your situation. Should the desire to upgrade higher in the Naim amplification chain arise, I can attest that the D7.2 speakers more than hold their own.

2 Likes

Kudos c20 works very well.

My SN2 drives Focal Kanta 2s very well and is a great combination. It took me a long time to settle on the Kantas as I auditioned lots of speakers but it was worth the time and trouble in the end. All the best to you in your search.

1 Like

Might be better to go with the nait xs and change the speakers. The system would be better balanced. Usual suspects are spendor, neat, proac, pmc ā€¦. You need to listen and decide for yourself.

2 Likes

I have recently upgraded from Nova to SN3/NDX2 inspired by the thread by @anon4489532 (thank you HH) and Iā€™m really pleased. My existing PMC Twenty5 23 sound great even though the NDX2 and the dedicated mains are still burning in (SN3 was Ex-demo) mind you my room is a bit bigger 6m x 5m x 3m (W x D x H). I have auditioned few other speakers but at the dealerā€™s which is not a good like for like comparison. The only other speaker I auditioned at home was PMC Twenty5 26 with my Nova but I preferred the Twenty5 23 which was maybe a sign of the Nova not being able to fully drive the PMC 25/26. Also the dedicated mains made a bid improvement for me and Iā€™m in the process of upgrading my current TV stand to a proper HiFi rack (currently considering Simrak or Solid Sounds) which from this forum suggestions seem to be the next logical thing to do to make sure you get the basics right before considering any further upgrades such as separate power supplies and/or splitting the integrated Amp to Pre/Power Amp.

Thatā€™s great. It sounds as though you are building a really nice system. The PMCs are really nice speakers and will be great with the NDX2 and SN3.

2 Likes

I also recently looked at moving from Nait 5i with CD5i & Totem Mite/Kin Sub to the Supernait 3. I listened to PMC Twenty5 23, Spendor A7 and D7.2 all with ND5 XS 2.

The PMC and A7 were both good but the D7.2 were so much better. The NDX2 didnā€™t sound that much better to justifiy the cost so I went for the D7.2 speakers. Now waiting for my new SN3, ND5 XS2 and D7.2 to arrive sometime this year (hopefully)

3 Likes

Congratulations Bears_away.
I hope itā€™s as enjoyable for you as it is for me. Cheers.

I actually went there opposite route and upgraded speakers first(had Paradigm Studio 20 and went to B&W 805D3) then found the 805ā€™s needed/deserved more power and went with the Supernait 3 and I couldnā€™t be happierā€¦ I was very lucky and picked up the B&Ws for ā…” itā€™s original retail price, dealer was expecting the D4s soon arrival and reduced the D3sā€¦ Point being if you can find leftover or traded in B&W D3s give the D3/SN3 combo a listen, truly a joyful combination and yes I agree staying with Naim SN3 is a great start. :wink:

1 Like

SN3 and Kanta 2s for me, a wonderful combination that Iā€™m very happy with.

1 Like

SN3 & Kudos X3s here. :sunglasses: :+1:t2:

1 Like

I paired floor standing PMC speakers with Supernaits most over the years, most recently moving to standmount Focal Kanta 1ā€™s. Happy enough with the change that brought, for the room my system is in even those are more than enough to fill the room.

1 Like

Which Supernaits (1,2 or 3) and which PMCs were they?
And what did the Kanta NĀ°1s bring you over the PMCs?

Iā€™ve owned all of the Supernaits over the years, mixed in with other stuff on the way!

PMCā€™s driven by NAITā€™s included OB1i and GB1i, I did briefly use DB1ā€™s as well a long time ago. I still have the OB1ā€™s and theyā€™ll be front channels in another room as part of a 5.1 setup when I get round to sorting it out.
Kantaā€™s replaced the OB1i floor standers. Initially, and for quite a while (months) I struggled with them and had doubts, mainly as the beryllium tweeters, whilst faster and more responsive than the SEAS ones on the PMCā€™s were harsh/brittle sounding at times, whilst at others quite sweet and engaging.
The bass on the Kantaā€™s (on my room) was also a lot more emphasised than I anticipated and required more effort in terms of positioning relative to the PMCā€™s, they are more fussy with positioning and are rear ported. I ended up with them closer to the rear wall and toed in, the PMCā€™s I had fairly close to the rear wall and facing straight on.
Kanta 1ā€™s are now settled in and the tweeters are more ā€œrelaxedā€ compared to from new.

1 Like

Hi all, has someone been using UnitiCore / DAC V1 / SN 3 / HCDR? If yes which interconnects to use and how to connect them together???