Speaker placement

Hey Geofiz, I’m the guy in the mask at Tim Horton’s that bought that Hi-line 5 to 5 pin Din cable from you.
I just wanted to let you know that I got a cable to attach my Kef Kube between the pre out and power in, on my Supernait 2, from Flashback Sales in the UK. It’s a special cable because the pre gets it’s 24 volt power from the power amp.
Anyway, the Hi-line is great. It made a big difference. So thanks.

Dave

On recommendation from my dealer I have used for many years a mono mix of Reed’s “Walk on the Wild Side” to position and balance. It’s then easy to move one speaker a bit forward or backward and adjust toe-in until the sound image is where it should be, in the middle. It depends on the balance in the room of course, but in most cases a few centimeters (if at all) is enough to fix a surprisingly large balance difference.

(I suppose any mono mix will do for the balance. However, Walk on the Wild Side has this double bass intro with the strings rattling on the fingerboard, and the dealer recommendation was to play with speaker position and toe-in until the rattling is nearly as loud as the bass notes themselves. I’ve used this technique for many setups in many room, so I know it well and for me it has become a quick and reliable approach)

Edit: After getting your ears checked :slight_smile:

1 Like

1 Like

Room shape, size, symmetry and furniture all play a part in sound balance and imaging. In a narrow room early reflections may be worse causing problems. Maybe toeing speakers in could reduce reflections a little reducing comb filtering slightly improving imaging? I have found a slight toe in helps as my speakers are on the narrow wall. I am trying to figure out how to treat first reflection points and keep domestic harmony. :joy::joy:

1 Like

I’d give almost anything g for a fresh brewed cup and some Tim bits.

Toe in can help immensely, and that one speaker that is louder can be moved side to side, front to back, and tilted to come on song. My PMC’s are not equal distance from my listening position, rear wall, or side walls to get my sound central and correct.

Scott

1 Like

Well, I’ve been making a lot of pour-over coffee at home these days. But no donuts.

Thanks for the suggestions, Scott, I’ll try just moving the one speaker around until the sound evens out. I may even have to move the right one a bit. Great idea; nice and simple. And maybe a tilt.
Cheers.

Dave

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.