Speaker positioning - Are you a U or a V or an X?

Technically I’d call myself a backward forward slasher.
\ /

With a mike and mirror at the back of the room maybe a star *.
My air guitar is worn out and Eric does not want to play with me anymore!

1 Like

Sounds scary.

1 Like

No, a U.

An X obviously.
?
:rofl:

70% V, 30% U. Toed in, but with a clear view of the innermost side of the speakers. I’m sitting about half way between the point at which their centre axes would converge and the speaker fronts. I’ve found that much depends on how far I can get the speakers away from the corners of the back wall; the further out of the corners, the nearer they need to go towards a ‘U’ config.

So you are a U.

NOW WHAT ABOUT THE RAKE?

My speakers (including stands) are 45" high at the rear.
The rake is significant (sorry no protractor at the moment) and the top “points above a seated listener”.

The rake obviously depends on the room depth as a lower rake would achieve the same effect in a room deeper than mine.

P.S. I am an X.

Used to be? There are current recommendations of a little behind the head - just as there are others of straight ahead or whatever else!

Slight v, unless I’ve had a drink and experiment in which case all three through the course of a night ending with one a v and the other an X with sellotape all over the floor

1 Like

U, V, X and rake.
So what’s this all about?

There are two elements to a “best sound” experience.

1. Quality audio equipment like Naim (which the majority of this forum will clearly have).
  2. The set-up of that equipment in relation to the speakers, room and listener position to achieve the best sound.

You need both in tandem.

A while ago I reported on attending a demo of the latest Naim equipment and a similar experience from a quality firm from Glasgow. Both were impressive and had equipment of significantly better quality than my “puny” Naim 72/140 setup but I had the feeling mine sounded better.

I am sure if I owned “that” equipment I would make it sing.

I also look at the “System Pics” topic where most systems might look great but the majority seem to have speakers in the “missionary” position. They look good but do they sound best I wonder?
If I had a ten year old Ferrari it would have more than two thousand miles on the clock!

So I may have made you think.

Why not?
Might sound good.

Good choice!

That’s OK.
It does not need to be symmetrical if that is what the room needs.
But check it when sober.

1 Like

Maybe a good choice.

Don’t worry. Clucko here, meant V.

V as recommended by ProAc tried U doesn’t work in my room at all. Dont have room for X.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.