Speaker recommendation for Nova in small room

I listened to Neat when I bought my Nova. I then heard special 40 and there was no contest. Although they have ports at the back I played them not too far off the rear wall and they were ok. Really fine sound.

1 Like

Agreed great speaker but that Torrent driver a nominal 4ohm load so would be really working the Nova. Be better suited to a 250 or 300 really to get the best from it.

PMC twenty5.21’s arrived today to replace the Proac Tablette 10’s. They sound incredible with the Nova and far more bass than you would expect from a compact standmount. Any more bass would be too much tbh

10 Likes

i’m sure the 250/300 would be better, but i have heard the tribe towers with the atom. the atom didn’t even break a sweat – the nova should have even less problem.

1 Like

Why not the Towers I wonder?

I would easily recommend the Sky Towers in your room @Toller67.

Also bookshelf loudspeakers such as the Sky, Rainmaker or the new Skylight are worth mentioning, according to your personal taste. I like the little Rainmaker a lot, but the Sky Tower is the more appealing to my ears.

I extensively auditioned them with all intention of purchasing them for my Supernait2 a couple of years ago.
In the end I bought the Totem Sky towers. The Supernait drove the sky’s so much better, was tighter, and more controlled.
It was clear.

Don’t get me wrong, the tribes will work but you won’t be getting anything like the best from them and as I say that was with the Supernait.

1 Like

Can try them but if space is tight maybe not the best again as in my room they needed 800mm off the rear wall.

This was when I had mine. My system has come in a fair bit since then tho.

1 Like

I get your point now, the room where you put your speakers is more than important. Mine are 600 mm off the wall but they perform very, very well. I wonder how they would sound with a SN3 compared to my amp.

Yes, this is why I say try them. Every room is so different. I am now using PMC Twenty5.26 after an unfortunate/fortunate accident. My little girl knocked over one of my Sky towers.
Everything I read suggested they would be too bassey but I auditioned anyway and they are sublime.

I agree with you, best thing to do is to try them. My Sky Towers do deliver a powerful and deep sound right now, but I suspect that bigger loudspeakers might break the balance in the room (and I’m keen on having a very clear sound, I wouldn’t like a boomy one). Bigger isn’t necessarily better.

I’m glad you are happy with your choice!

Thanks again for all your comments and suggestions.
When the dealers are open I am going to try and audition:-

Neat Alpha
Neat sx2
Spendor A2
Totem Sky standmount…but not too keen on range of finish.
PMC twenty5 21
Dynaudio s40…only because somebody offered to lend me some.

I don’t think anyone has mentioned them but I am also keen to try the Kudos X2.

However, I am enjoying listening to my Audience 62s today and wonder how much of an improvement any of the above will be (s40s excluded)…but then that’s why I need to demo them.

Yes Kudos super 10a be good also.

Nobody has mentioned this option, so if your dealer has them available then I’d suggest you give them a listen: Sonus Faber Sonetto 2 bookshelfs, they have a front-facing port so you can position them close to the wall. I use them with my Atom, I know it’s half the power of the Nova but they sound fantastic. I would definitely add a sub though, for the full bottom end.
If you have less of a limit to your budget, you could look at other Sonus Faber bookshelf’s like Olympica Nova 1 or the Heritage series.

For floorstanders, I’ve had the pleasure of listening to a Nova hooked up to a pair of Sonetto 5’s and to me that sounded like a match made in heaven.

I just really like the Uniti/Sonus Faber combination, and I’ve tried several brands with my Atom.

3 Likes

Hmm, I mentioned this before on the forum. I didn’t like the Sonetto 5’s with the Star at all, except with Miles Davis and some classical pieces. Anything with voices was sounding horribly dull. Great low end, but something wrong with the highs. It’s been getting great reviews, and I’d trust the dealer to not have stocked it if it was a bad speaker, so it must have been the pairing I think.

So I wouldn’t say Uniti/SF is a great combination in my experience, but then again, I’ve only heard one Uniti / SF pairing.

1 Like

If you are after a wood finish the Totem Hawks are great match with a Nova, here are mine:

Given your small room, what about Totem Arro?

This is a floorstander with quite a small footprint

1 Like

Hi all - I am looking at getting a Nova and have been looking around forums and reviews to see what speakers they pair it with.
I found this discussion interesting, and wondered if anyone had used either Kef R7 or Monitor Audio Gold 200 (5G) speakers with the Nova. I currently just have a Muso :slightly_frowning_face:
Cheers
Paul

Would the Super 10 be ok in smaller spaces? Can they be quite close to the wall?
Do you think it is worth the extra over say the X2?

I keep seeing good deals and bargain secondhand examples on a lot of these suggestions.
It is so hard to resist the urge to just buy them but I have to keep telling myself that I need to hear them all first !!
Hopefully the dealers will be open in a couple of weeks time and I suppose half the fun is in the search.