Speaker recommendations for NaitXS2/Flatcap XS

And therein, lurks a whole new rabbit hole :slight_smile:

@melvinolotus - Thanks for that; interesting. Another shout out for Neat.

@LindayM - Thanks for that. My issue with the speakers is that they are now 30 years old and to be honest, I fancy a change! In all seriousness, I think that they are not doing the front end justice , which is why I would like something that addresses that balance. Interestingly another recommendation for Neat.

@willbonnet - Thanks for that. Kudos is a product that I haven’t really come across. Certainly worth checking out.

@sandman922 - Thanks for that. Interestingly, I auditioned a pair of Evoke 20’s and I was seriously underwhelmed.

Thank you to everybody who took the time to answer my question. Your answers did provide some interesting leads which I will follow up on.

As a point of interest which may assist others in a similar predicament, I visited those nice people at Audio-t in Portsmouth and auditioned a number of speakers which certainly clarified a few things. Their reference system was a Nait XS2 and Flatcap running a CD5si.

Their suggestions were:

Dynaudio Evoke 20.
As mentioned above, seriously underwhelming. Not awful by any means, but lacking in punch.

PMC Twenty5 21i.
My least favourite. The detail disappeared and there was a lack of cohesion.

Spendor A4.
I had really high hopes for these, but was seriously disappointed. Again, certainly not awful, but just not enough at the bottom end.

Acoustic Energy AE509.
For me, a real outsider, but in my opinion, the best of the bunch. Detailed with serious low end punch, good sound staging and, if I can get over the feet, a nice looking unit too.

I am sure that some of my remarks could be construed as pure heresy (!) but as we all know it’s completely subjective and the inexactness of the science is what engages us. I would welcome any thoughts on the AE509’s.

In the meantime I shall continue my quest, and certainly audition some Neat product, which seems to come so highly recommended.

2 Likes

Winchester HI-FI can demo you Neat and Kudos

@LindsayM - Thank you.

And while we are mentioning our favourites, they can also demonstrate ProAc. I’m surprised you didn’t try some ATCs while at Audio T, maybe the SCM 11.

What about a pair of Russell K Red 50 or 100? Personally though (and this is from my own experience), i think you’ll be hard pushed to match a better speaker than a pair of Neat Motive SX2s on the end of a NAIT XS 2. It is a marriage made in audio heaven. Good luck in your quest.

3 Likes

They can’t be that great or you wouldn’t have swapped them for nSats.

1 Like

The Motives matched the NAIT XS 2 remarkably well. With SN3 and higher end sources i preferred n-SATs. Not one size fits all.

1 Like

You have reminded me of a footballer, Fitz Hall, who used to play for the team I support. His nickname was One Size.

1 Like

I heard those at the Bristol Show a couple years ago in quite a large room, albeit on the end of a Rega Saturn and Aethos amplifier. Very nice.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.