Speaker spikes - Penny/Chips/Skeets/Etc

what is the relationship between the sofa and the Aperta stands? i didn’t understood.

1 Like

Me neither French, I know nothing about Aperta stands only the French translation for sofa, so as far as I know there is no relationship :grinning: but who knows maybe a secret romance and the sofa is supported by Aperta stands

i was referring on Bidder66 post above. He will probably explain me later…

The words ‘sofa’ and ‘settee’ are often used interchangeably in British English - a comfortable seat for more than one person, with a back, and at least the seat and back having padded cushioning, typically finished with either leather or fabric. Biddler66 presumably has one with fabric, with patterning similar to the bass driver cone in those speakers.

1 Like

The late Bobby Palkovic of Merlin Music used to use sharp spikes on the bottom of his tall floor stander, the VSM. They sounded great and were highly engineered. He recommend we use his sharp spikes on US pennies to get the necessary penetration but not too much. He said the older pennies sounded the best. I used the pennies I had and completely agree with the approach. We loved these speakers with tubes but they are a little bright for Naim. They definitely preferred the pennies.

Ha! You’re a funny guy, M. Rooster.

I should correct my post. The spike shoes I’ve compared are from “Kripton”. Not Krypton.

The really heavy ones are IS-200 and go for about JPY9000 for 4. I used these under both speakers and the main rack.

@frenchrooster sorry for confusion and thank you for explaining, very kind. As has been explained I was referring to the sette/sofa/chair in my house as the fabric is similar. A joke that did not come over very well I am afraid.

1 Like

Found allot of info, all in Japanese, will look into this.

I must admit the Focal stand to bookshelf speaker interface to me is odd, rather than resting on spikes or pads freely, these are rigid bolted, yes there are some mini pads between the two and also no guidance from Focal as to how much to tighten then or a specific torque.

Fortunately i found a great dealer and he looked after that, but again it was his experience not Focal specification.

Anyway dealing with Focal is such a drama, emails/tweets are ignored, you call and eventually end up in a french conversation and fobbed off.

Focal great speakers - service sucks.

If you prefer the black finish I’d either get the Skeets or stick with what you have already. Maybe you could borrow some Skeets from your dealer so you can decide if they actually make a difference to the sound. If everything sounds ok at the moment it’s probably easiest to just keep the Atacamas.

Skeets are £54 for worth a punt, at least then i know if it is worthwhile or a waste.

Focal are not unique in this - Kudos do the same with the dedicated stand for their Titan 505. The two brands may be like chalk & cheese otherwise, but in this respect they presumably agree that fixing the speaker to the stand is OK. Presumably, any decoupling is achieved by the spikes between stand and floor.

i think Superman can provide some Krypton. Just ask :laughing::partying_face:

i agree that is perhaps not the nicest. There are some videos on youtube on isoacoustics aperta, it’s more clear to see.

Wilson Benesch standmounts are just the same, with the stand effectively part of the speaker.

One might argue that virtually all floorstanders are the same, just that the stands are only an inch or two high, but are normally fixed permanently to the cabinet.

Good point. My speakers have a sprung base to enable them to oscillate. There are many ways to achieve the desired result.

I was careful to say virtually all floorstanders!

Years ago I tried fixing my Mission 700s to the target stands using wood screws,it wasn’t a success with the stands spiked to the floor, however, If the stand is designed along with the speaker and they’re meant to bolt together than I wound expect them to work as a unit. The best coupling agent I ever used with the Missions was “Potty Putty” and if it doesnt work you can always use it to clean your stylus. Just don’t leave any laying on the carpet to pick up later.