Speaker upgrade: Dynaudio Special 40 / PMC Twenty5.23

I read the Concept 500 thread, I don’t have any experience of Q Acoustics although people speak highly of the 3050 in terms of VFM.
I agree reviews, some sources more than others, can be little more than advertising. There is no substitute for listening yourself at home and taking your time, I did this with both the PMC’s and Spendors.
In terms of shoes I don’t share your aspiration for bespoke five grand shoes, my days of formal shoes, suits, shirts and ties ended 14 yrs ago when I retired, Nike trainers do me fine these days.

2 Likes

I use the twenty5 23’s and absolutely love them. I feel they’re very honest in playback, have a nice wide sounstage and great imaging.

Bass is not the loudest I’ve heard but does go really low and, as someone mentioned, is very articulate.

I doubt youd be disappointed with them but on the other hand, there may be something that suits your musical tastes better.

PS My current shoes are Debenhams own brand

2 Likes

How would you compare the PMC’s and the A4’s?

It’s always a bit hard to put into words but, the PMC’s are a bit more up front, a bit more detail, I like them for rock. The A4’s have a lovely natural quality, still detailed but warmer. I must admit if I had to keep one pair I would struggle to choose. I have been very impressed by the Spendors hence my question to you re the A7’s

2 Likes

I aspire to the £1200/£1500 ready to wear John Lobbs or Edward Green, Gazziano & Girling etc. I would have to have a lot of money before commissioning bespoke shoes, although a bespoke suit from Huntsman or Henry Poole & Co would be nice too, whilst we’re dreaming.

If the graphs reflect exactly what you heard, then you probably live in an anechoic chamber. Most rooms are not anechoic chambers - fortunately.

I find PMCs sound fine in an ordinary listening room - they’re not “flawed”, as you suggest (Naim forumites can’t all be fools), and I’m sure your Vienna Acoustics are excellent in your lounge. Incidentally, I own several pairs of Church’s, Crockett and Jones, and others. I buy them because they are good value for money (my earliest pair must be about 30 years old).

We will have to disagree on the PCMs then. That’s okay though isn’t it?
To me they were flawed so I didn’t buy them. I would have bought them had I liked them. I wanted to like them. I liked the way they looked and on paper they appeared to be ideal.

But, I can’t argue with and have to agree with your statement that ‘Naim forumites can’t all be fools’.

Yes, it’s okay - it’s all very personal, isn’t it?

If we could only walk a mile in each others ‘shoes’, or should that be ‘ears’.

Well, we’d probably get corns - or bunions… or whatever the equivalent is for the ears.

ear worms?

I wouldn’t for a moment pretend to understand the full meaning of these graphs, but surely the two graphs are projected using different scales ? This would mean that they cannot be directly compared and may well show a distorted view.

1 Like

Er, no. The part to look at is the horizontal, left to right line. You can directly compare how ‘flat’ the frequency response line is. The left to right ‘scale’ is the same on both graphs.

Many thanks for the input. I will try to demo both but I do have a feeling that the Dyaudio’s have a more positive vibe on the forum.

The speakers have a response line, and your room does too. Thus, while there is interest in what the speaker designers have achieved, it is only a part of the puzzle. I have the view that the little inconsistencies and mismatches are a large part of the character of the speaker. Good luck deciding, I love the S40 but would never impose it on someone else as the pinnacle of the art of speaker design. However, for me, it is great fun and gets my toes tapping

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.