Speakers and Real Estate

If you look carefully at real estate postings, you may notice that interior photos of homes for sale never show loudspeakers. TVs, yes, but loudspeakers, no. Those photos are, of course, “staged,” but the message seems to be that loudspeakers won’t help sales.
When my house was put up for sale, I had my Linn Majik 140s in the picture. We sold in three days anyway. A fluke?
Just wondering.

I’ve seen a few with hi-fi systems, even a local one with Focal Kansas in the lounge :flushed:

Aparantly the female of the house makes the decision to buy or move on. I am waiting for my wife to praise my Naim system and I started of with a 32/250!
So what we all need is a dedicated listening room and next door the home cinema and next door to that the swimming pool.
Next time when we are at Ascot in September most of us will be male and with not much hair.
Audio is a thing for us lads it seems.

1 Like

They included my old Ryods and I think they also included my Kefs in the lounge room as well. I didn’t give them a choice as I wasn’t about to pack them up.

6 Likes

Why and in what way could speakers affect sale of a home, assuming the seller is taking contents when they leave, as long as the photo still shows the size of the room to good effect? Isn’t it more a likely the case the that hifi (speakers of any decent size) is simply not a mainstream interest?

1 Like

I beg to differ with your final sentence.

1 Like

My speakers were rather prominent in my Estate Agents photographs.

I do wonder if the reason speakers are often not shown in house sale photography is more to do with the owners rather than the agents?

3 Likes

A discussion on this forum a few years ago highlighted a potential security risk if significant value hifi (or other things) appear in photos from Estate Agents, from whom the address is readily available, especially now that they are widely available on the internet.

My system was VERY prominent in the photos of our last house, I even got some complimentary comments from a couple of viewers. As has been said, the agro of packing up the speakers and, presumably, the rest of the system… forget it!

Hi Bozz88,
You say you differ with my final sentence “audio is a thing for us lads it seems”, but don’t say why.
My observation was based on those attending audio shows. I can go back to the days of the Russell Hotel in London and remember the exhibitors and those attending were nearly all “lads”.
Not unusual for all family members to have a liking for music. I am still waiting for my wife to ask about the contents of the latest issue of Hi-Fi News. One day it might happen.

1 Like

Because I’m not one of ‘us lads’. I love hi-fi equipment and music and thoroughly enjoy the discussions on here. I have a subscription to hi-fi plus magazine. Is that so shocking? You’ve made a generalisation based on your experience of attending shows and your wife’s view according to your reply. Your wife might not be interested but I am. I’m certainly not the only woman on the forum, surprise, surprise. You’re not alone thinking it’s a lads’ only world by any means but from my perspective it’s not a particularly welcoming view given the helpfulness and support generally offered on here.

6 Likes

My speakers and real estate DREAM

3 Likes

Thank you for your clarification and enlightened reply. Much appeciated.

And question of where to put it (and records/CDs if you have physical media), plus not being able to play your system for however many days, weeks, months or sometimes years before you find a buyer. If you don’t want the system in photos then the pics can be taken from a different angle. I don’t believe a hifi system would put anyone off buying - though it might make the house more appealing to so eone else who is into hifi. Having said that, the popular showcase house hunting programmes on British TV in the past decade or two give the impression that the average home buyer can’t see past the present decoration and occupant’s stuff - when buying I prefer a house NOT to have been redecorated for sale, partly because redecorating all too often is used to hide things like a damp problem, and partly because the chances are that I’d still want to decorate in the way I want anyway.

1 Like

When we sold our last property, the estate agent actually went as far as requesting that we please delay the packing and removal of contents until the photographer had been. When I asked why because an empty home is generally a better canvas for prospective buyers to project on, he replied, “It’s the hifi. It’s an aspirational item like showing a Porche in the driveway.”

We ignored his advice though and got asking price.

2 Likes

Guitars in estate agent shots seem to be very popular.

1 Like

When we sold our last house, nearly 20 years ago, her indoors insisted that the system be put in another room to make the living room look less cluttered. Before buying our current house, we must have looked at 20+ others, and I don’t recall a hifi in any of them. Guitars, pianos, Agas, yes across the board. I try and visualise where the speakers would go in any house. However……She doesn’t like the boxes (we’ve not discussed the cabling :grin:) and especially the SBLs to this day, so a spare room is my listening room. The real downside to that is that my kids have no idea what they are missing.

Have you got 6 Moons envy? :wink:

1 Like

For me music and hifi to play it on has always been a fundamental component of living, and having a suitable room for listening has been a key consideration in every home purchase, with accommodating the ‘boxes’ no less important than having somewhere to sit. Had my wife not accepted that I doubt our relationship would have proceeded long enough for the concept of linking lives to arise…

However, the electronics can always be hidden, so it is just the speakers that need to be “on display”.

2 Likes

That site is hard to read but sometimes I struggle. The house is wonderful however. This guy has a lot of stuff.

1 Like