Speakers....detail vs emotion or can we have both?

@Stan , @Vaksil , sorry I didn’t post full system.

Current system:

All electronics are by Burmester:

151 Streamer > 035 Preamplifier > 956 mk II Power amplifier > Spendor D7.2

Previous system for approx 5 years:

Chord DSX 1000 > Supernait 2 > Spendor A6 which brought me many years of enjoyment.

All the best, Mr. D

1 Like

Suedkiez, all the information I can find on that speakers is inside the french forum. And we are not allowed to copy and paste discussions from other forums.
And also I have absolutely no knowledge on that speakers and have never heard them.
But if people have, it would be interesting indeed.

As for Audionec, I just posted for curiosity. Of course, I was not saying you should have heard them before buying yours :grin:

I wasn’t meaning to suggest that you should play the Synthese ambassador on the forum :slight_smile: although you do often post pictures from the internet, and you know a lot of brands and are often at hand to suggest “maybe this, maybe that”, which is always interesting and helpful to expand one’s horizon. But mainly I’m just generally surprised that speakers that look like they should be interesting to many desperate Naim speaker fans don’t generate more discussion in general, although they were at least mentioned a few times (I think I also did once before this thread). It just seems that if someone is asking about speakers that could replace their Naims, these would always warrant a consideration. Anyway I would love to learn more about them; like I mentioned, I would have visited them if I had the space where they fit.

I know you didn’t push the Audionec on me! It was interesting and I had never heard of them, so I googled a bit and just posted some of the info that I found. It was just a general observation that I am always surprised by how many companies are out there who produce crazily expensive stuff, and many of those are completely unknown to me. So I figure there must be enough big spenders out there whose purchases enable all these many companies. I have a reasonable income and much more space than the vast majority, but still the Audionec would be way too large and expensive for me. And I know a few rich people and none of them has an expensive hifi system (but crazy houses and cars), but clearly they must be out there in considerable numbers.

I agree with you. it’s a bit surprising that no one here has that speakers or even heard once them. It’s the only brand that continues the Naim sound speakers heritage. But as it’s not made by Naim, people have perhaps no confidence.

The forum favorites aren’t made by Naim either though. But of course the availability will play a large role, and generally that’s the case with speakers. Like myself, I would have loved to listen to ATC, ProAc or Kudos, but as they are so difficult to listen to over here, what can you do. And of course I found mine literally around the corner - if I had not, and had been limited to the others that I heard, I would have certainly invested a few days to drive to wherever the Kudos, etc., would have required. But as you say, with Synthese continuing the Naim heritage, maybe being the only ones doing so, I would have expected that they at least appear sometimes, if only in the context of “but unfortunately they are so difficult to get” :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is the thread I recalled having seen before mentioning the Synthese speakers, including a post by a member using them:

1 Like

It would make sense for Synthese to run demos at UK hifi shows - and have at least one UK dealer.

1 Like

I would think so, but somehow they insist on staying hidden in Bischwiller :wink: I am surprised that they even display the website in English! It seems a bit of a common thing with designers who dig themselves into their very special projects for decades, and who maybe aren’t all that interested in business.

Probably also because the number of units they can build find their customers anyway. It’s very similar with my Sehring Audio being hidden in Berlin-Neukölln, not advertising at all, and finding their customers by word of mouth. Synthese and Sehring also share that their designers stay involved and recommend or insist that they do the setup at the customer’s place themselves. Sehring has also stopped working with dealers because he’s unhappy with how most shops set up, at least over here.

It’s a bit sad in a way that more people don’t know about these guys, but on the other hand makes it even more special for their customers. And there’s the advantage of cutting out the otherwise necessary dealer margins.

There’s only one place to buy in France, and they are not present at hifi shows here. Synthèse-Hifi, Bischwiller.

Jim did find the website already :slight_smile:

1 Like

Alsace would be a nice place for a walking (and speaker listening) holiday.

2 Likes

In many fields there are enthusiastic people making very good products, and either because it is a sideline, or because they make sufficient to make a living, are nit interested in expanding. Sometimes in their view that would take the fun out of it, or they don’t want it to become impersonal, or lose the hand-made aspect etc. Personally I have the greatest respect for such businesses, resisting the “business” drive to ever expand and “grow the business”. If only more did that… But the negative aspect is that the products are hard to find, and such businesses often die with the founder.

2 Likes

Agree 100%. And like I said, it’s cool for those in the know. I can call Stefan Sehring and he helps with questions or hops on the scooter and visits with a bag of crossover parts. That wouldn’t be possible if he ran Focal or something.

I wasn’t so much surprised by how Synthese run their shop, I was surprised that they are not better known by Naim speaker enthusiasts.

1 Like

Why is he nipping over with a bag of crossover parts? Out of curiosity.

Adjusting, still perfecting speakers for room. Not every day :slight_smile: Setup is always part of the service - setting up and initial adjustment, then letting them run in and getting used to them, then the detailed setup in a second go.

But after the initial installation and first run-in hours I wasn’t entirely happy, so I called and we discussed things. I could have waited until the final setup, but he said he’ll simply stop by and check; the workshop is just 15 minutes from where I live. Hasn’t been necessary since, but he’s staying in contact to check in how it goes. We’ll do the detailed setup in February.

(The crossovers are designed to be easily flipped out and for parts to be exchanged with different values. If the customer wants, he also provides a set of parts with different values to play around)

Crossover compartment and crossover:

(More pics)

2 Likes

Yeah ok, that looks pretty interesting. Are they a relatively new company? It’s great that you are getting that kind of service. You also must be helping them tweak the design before settling on a permanent crossover.

What is also pretty cool is that you can (once the crossover adjustment is finished) purchase a really high quality cap/caps for the tweeter if you know the value. Makes a big difference! Judging by the size of those caps they are mid level.

The company has existed since 1988, they are also doing work for studios, actually their main thing. The new speaker models have been in development for the past 5 years.

He’s always factoring in affordability. The drivers are good mid-range quality parts, from Wavecor for bass and mids and a Peerless ring radiator for tweeter, but all with tweaks applied in-house. The caps are, as you say, not the fanciest but good industry parts from Mundorf and rigorously selected. He believes in tweaking the hell out of the design until everything works perfectly together, instead of just throwing money at it and driving the final price up. I’m not going to mess with it on my own, it was designed with so much love and attention to detail, and he’s is around the corner, I leave his job up to him. And yes, the final setup will be done with his experience but for my taste and room, he doesn’t believe in selling one-size-fits-all speakers.

Now that the basic design of the new range is finished and he doesn’t think that any more can be squeezed out, he’s switched attention to working on a new version that’s another step up, which will use the same bass modules but with a further improved crossover that will have top-level components without cost considerations and a new mids/tweeter module, which will feature a new mids driver and either a beryllium tweeter or, another notch up, a diamond one to choose from. It will probably be done in a year or two.

As the whole speaker is modular, the crossover and mids/tweeter module of my speakers can then be switched over to the new one, and there’s an upgrade pricing model, so you only pay the difference plus a handling fee. Sounds fantastic as it is now, but looking forward to another improvement for reasonable cost and without having to throw out 18K of speakers.

3 Likes

Really impressive customer service. Looking forward to give it a listen!

1 Like

I’ve had a few occasions when a single change has affected the emotional communication without changing the speakers. The most recent was using a Dynavectore DV17D3 where I found a change in capacitive loading of 1nF did just that where a 470R plug on its own was just detailed.
Changing the filter selection on a Rega DACr, 3 was more emotional, 1 was dryer but had a little more PRAT.
Putting a loose loop in the cable from the 282’s supercap to 250-2 in an attempt to get it off the carpet made the sound more analytical.
Speakers were NBLs troughout.

I love my Shahinians - still besotted with them after several years now and because there’s really nothing else quite like them, not tempted to look elsewhere. Curiously, they provide a lot of detail but you don’t really perceive it as detail because it is so well integrated in the voice and performance of the different performers, instruments and venue acoustics. I was reminded of this when switching from the very detailed Focal Utopia headphones to them. They’re astonishing really and I also love the way they’re a big box speaker but don’t tower over you.

3 Likes