Speakers....detail vs emotion or can we have both?

Been reading through this very interesting thread.
Many have provided most valuable knowledge and thoughts but allow me to throw in my perspective.

• “Perfect sound” is a very subjective thing and our hearing curve on an audiogram varies quite a bit so no opinion can be dismissed

• System and room synergy with the speaker makes all the difference in the world. In my previous house the room would just not work so the whole Naim gear got boxed up in the attic storage.

• In the last 6 months I have listened to a fair bit of speakers from B&W, McIntosh, Wilson Audio, MBL and Sonus Faber. To my ears the only speakers that were able to connect emotionally, provide nice details and get my foot tapping were the sonus fabers. Interestingly I have the same impressions with the entry level Luminas all the way to some high end Serafinos. My speakers at home are the humble Toys from SF.

I obviously haven’t heard very speaker in the world and Kudos as well as Dynaudio seem to be highly recommended on the forum but I don’t have access to demo them.

1 Like

There’s a french speaker builder in Alsace who is designing speakers in the Naim mold (because they are fans of those), with much decoupling and for close-to-wall positioning. www synthese dash hifi dot com. They are also running a french Naim forum

Edit: By the way, @frenchrooster I am surprised that you never mentioned them

2 Likes

My experience of Naim speakers is limited to the Intros and they are not great. I have of course read much on here about the SBL, NBL, SL2 and DBL, and have often lusted after SL2s.

But it seems to me that Naim had, and Focal have, differing design philosophies and target ‘sound signatures’ when it comes to speakers. OK, the Sopra range was designed with Naim in mind but am sure they sound unlike the Naim classic speakers.

But we should never say never.

Yes, Nigel - Focal do indeed have a different sound signature than Naim speakers did.

My suggestion is that Focal could make a neo-retro (if that makes sense) line of Naim branded speakers to reinvigorate that aspect of Naim’s former offer.

As I’m sure you understand, this is not at all an unusual thing for a large company like Focal to do - i.e. to have more than one brand in a market to cater for different needs and tastes.

This would probably be best organized as a separate business, brand and profit-centre (contained within or adjacent to the corporate structure of Focal), not just an ordinary Focal product line.

Thanks - interesting project.

Various Naim amps used in that shot.

I’d love to hear a pair of those.

Me too, very interesting. Unfortunately I have one of the few rooms where close to wall just doesn’t fit, else I would have included them in my recent auditions. (Not that I’m unhappy know :slight_smile: )
Did you get an English website? I was only offered French or German (being in Germany)

1 Like

I did mentioned them already , last year .
They are named Xylude MD1 and MD3.
Still made.

5 Likes

“Characteristics of the MD3: Available in several species of veneer, the MD3 are a little larger than the MD1 (1m20 high for 37cm wide and 31 deep for 40 kg) but above all they are made with inside the enclosure a fully welded steel structure. This is what it takes to be able to listen to a concert piano with its energy and breadth! The perfect phasing that a two-way loudspeaker still allows, combined with uncompromising decoupling, makes it possible to discover music over ten octaves, it is a unique acoustic loudspeaker that will satisfy the most demanding of music enthusiasts. “. ( From Audio Experience site)

1 Like

They are interesting indeed, but no way in my room, so I ruled them out before I even started

Yes, I could click on an English translation of the site.

Reminds me a bit of the long copy old style prose of the Shahinian site.

Sign of real thought and craft and care.

2 Likes

I missed this then. I know them from someone else. If you did, then it is odd that they get so little discussion on the forum, they seem to cover everything the Naim speaker enthusiasts are longing for

1 Like

French Audionec makes modular speakers, in the same spirit ( I think) that your Sebring.

3 Likes

They are produced in a very close market. No dealer. The only way is to go in France and get a contact with the designer. They are discussed in a french forum you cited, so the only way to Learn more is to visit that forum and do google translate. Forum rules are also stopping from advertising them more.

I know about the no-dealer thing, but the Naim speaker fans here are going to great lengths, like driving their Naims to Denmark, and there is much lamenting about the end of Naim speakers. I would have thought there is more interest if someone builds speakers very much like Naim and for Naim amps.

What is the problem with forum rules? I mean, blatant advertising would not be appropriate, but whenever someone asks about speakers, Kudos and the same few brands gets a lot of mentioning.

Haven’t seen the Audionec before, but yes, the modularity is similar. However, Sehring also considers affordability, the Audionec are much more expensive. The smallest “standmount” in the left of the picture you posted is already close to 20K as far as I can tell, which is more than mine. And the largest model is 175K. Obviously I don’t know how they sound, but it’s a different philosophy and way out of my price league, and they are huge as well, 45 cm wide for the single towers or one meter for the large two-tower models. I am always suprised by how may filthy rich people with an interest in hifi there are in the world.

1 Like

I think it is just that you are nit allowed to post links to manufacturers’ websites. However apparently some brand names are not permitted to be even mentioned by request to Naim by the brand - odd but true, and because of that I don’t know which they are!

I know about linking of course, but that doesn’t prevent people from recommending Kudos, ProAc, ATC, or what have you :slight_smile:

Also aware of the odd requests, maybe we have stumbled on a brand that must not be mentioned, we’ll know if mentioning Synthese Hifi gets deleted :wink: Though why a brand building Naim-like speakers and running a French Naim forum would not want to be mentioned on the official Naim forum I don’t know

Indeed I don’t think there is any reason for not discussing them - my observation was more re @frenchrooster’s comment about not being able to say more - I suspected he meant he couldn’t post links.

Naim and Focal of course are linked, so a dislike of discussing other speakers would be understandable, but it is no different from discussing other amps, streamers etc, and Naim are refreshingly accepting.

1 Like

Indeed, I also would understand if Naim were more restrictive but it’s a great thing that they are not and is part of why the forum is such a nice place

1 Like

Hi Forum members,
I believe you can have both.
I think one of the most important elements in order to achieve what the Op is asking about is system synergy.
A few other members comments have also mentioned this. I really do believe that system synergy is extremely important in achieving detail and emotion.
Speakers will of course affect the overall sound signature as different manufacturers build and engineer for a certain sound or maybe style if that’s how I can describe it.
About one year ago now I went through a major upgrade and this is probably now my final system.
I demoed the final amplifier and speakers I was going to change to for a good number of hours with my own music. I had never heard my music collection played back to me in this manner before and I certainly experienced both detail and emotion during the demonstration. Actually several times during the day.
So everything was delivered and settling in for a good two weeks. The only difference from the demo equipment and my home setup was the source, a Chord DSX 1000 streamer that I had in my system for the last five years. In this current system there are moments where it was too bright. Especially listening to Eva Cassidy or Adele when they are really pushing it. All the details were there but because of the brightness I couldn’t enjoy the overall experience.
So where had all the emotion gone? It must be the source???
Thankfully the dealer loaned me the demo streamer and I listen to this for over a month just to make sure. To be honest after the first few days I knew I was back to that wonderful sound of detail and emotion but I wanted to make sure and test with many different albums.
So, my final system gives me both detail and emotion but I strongly believe it’s because of the system synergy between all elements. That is the source, amplification and my speakers, By the way they are Spender D7.2
All the best, Mr Dom

1 Like

So what was the demo streamer that made the difference ?