Speakers....detail vs emotion or can we have both?

Thank you, I’ll look into these - I find the SF nicely detailed but quite bright at the top end

@Andy140 that’s surprising, since Sonus Faber is known for it’s very soft - “silky sounding” - high frequencies. Which model did you experience this with?
Iver

I have just sense checked myself and realised I was writing neutral whilst I was thinking transparent. Edited my posts above, sorry for any confusion - senior moment…

Try the Spendor A2’s. I find Spendor and Naim work well together, protecting the warmth while keeping the detail.

Unfortunately I says me nothing the 15db increase at 80 Htz….

Hi Iver, thank you: they are the Toy Towers which I’ve had for 10 yrs, at the time they were the entry point to SF floor standers. I’m sure something further up the range would be a better presentation

1 Like

Thank you, that’s something I’ll look into - and a small floor stander would suit

The red ones look a little like superior z’s but I don’t think they are. Super z caps are a Matt red and they also have an aluminium casing which you can see from the side. My current speaker uses the Jantzen Allumen z, but I’d like to upgrade the tweeter to a copper foil. Pricey though!

Did your upgraded crossover and component quality in the spendors have a big impact on transparency? I’d imagine it did.

I actually think it’s quite relevant to the thread because good quality components in the crossover make voices and instruments that bit closer to sounding real and as they should.

The early versions of the Spendor SP series used KEI & Philips MKT capacitors that have a lot more dielectric loss than the Mundorf MKPs (or any other MKPs for that matter). Yes, a considerable increase in transparency and a very worthwhile improvement in dynamics. Improving the binding posts and internal wiring also helped.

Mundorf MKPs were chosen over Jantzen Superiors because of their slightly ‘sharper’ nature and their better preservation of micro-dynamics; on the other hand, the Jantzens give a smoother quality and can often preserve micro detail better. The former characteristics balanced the SP2’s design better as I didn’t change the inductors or the crossover component values at all, to ensure that I kept the fundamental character of the speakers intact (they’re already a ‘smooth’ sounding speaker and really don’t need the presentation to be made any smoother!).

1 Like

Kef Reference 3’s work for me. ND555, 552 and 500 complete the system. Lots of detail and emotion depending on the recording.

1 Like

I have technical concerns in respect of the KEF Q150.
There are some considerable anomalies in the crossover region, in the frequency response, impedance curve and particularly in the waterfall plot, all indicating significant issues with cone breakup of the bass/mid driver in the octave just below the crossover point.

I don’t know about the R300, I never did any research into them.

Xanthe Spendor SP2/3R2 with Naim XS and Supernait is a perfect match with Naim NacA5 power cables. But if I had to change but I am satisfied with my system and I listen to music not at the level of the penal code I would opt for integrated Accuphase 30w for channel in class A or alternative Luxman 30w in class A that sound like a valve. Many audiophiles lean like me that integrated class A 30 W per channel are the best ever for delicacy, warm and refined sound but not suitable for extreme rock as they are rather slow and not very dynamic.

1 Like

Personally I found a Nait XS2 to not have quite enough current delivery to make the most of the Spendor SP2. The 155mm polypropylene cone is really quite heavy and benefits from very fast current rise times, this is even more of an issue with most low power pure Class A amp designs. This is why, when designing an amp to power them I used a hybrid Class A / Class AB design: it could deliver simple sine waves upto 1W of pure class A, before the low transistor ‘turned off’. Together with a fast feedback loop, this allowed fast transients in class AB while low level detail could be presented with the delicacy of Class A operation. I have subsequently found that the 300DR gives substantially better drive to these speakers than my amp design ever could, even including delicacy at very low level - a point at which the 300DR excels.

Another two issues are to do with the crossovers.
In all SP2 designs of which I’m aware, MKT capacitors and cored inductors have been used (iron cores in the original SP2 and the SP2/3e R2, I’m not sure about the rest, some I believe had ferrite cores). These limit the ultimate resolution available. MKT capacitors have higher dielectric absorption than MKP and iron cored inductors have a degree of hysteresis loss at mid to high volumes. Ferrite cores are even more of a problem as they exhibit heating loss in the cores even at relatively low magnetic flux, this being a loss of electrical energy and hence a non-linear signal loss; even though this is quite small it can still be noticeable in a loss of resolution and microdynamics. Of these the loss in the MKT capacitors is the most significant for ALL the variants using the iron cored inductors. (I haven’t looked into any Spendor crossovers using ferrite cores, so I can’t pass comment here.)

1 Like

I have had this a couple of times it depends on the track…sometimes a ton of extra detail comes at you and kinda gets in the way. Not often but it has happened…especially if you have enjoyed something on a small radio…I think it is a brain shock/expectation thing…

I’ve had or demoed a lot of loudspeakers in my life, from early Acoustic Research designs to Ovator S-400s. As of today, I don’t really know what detail is as opposed to emotion. I don’t believe they can be truly separated. So-called detailed speakers usually feature dry and tight bass and extended upper range; emotional ones seem to be sensitive, efficient and sport a more easy midrange.
I’ve experimented with amplifiers too; tubes, transistors, MOS-FETs. In the end, if an ‘emotional’ speaker is decently linear, or not too arbitrary, I prefer being entertained to being explained

After many more changes and swaps than reasonable, I’ve settled for a very careful mix of the two criteria: A ‘scientific’ source, a mannered but competent amp and mildly exuberant speakers:

IMG_0775

Esoteric K-07Xs, Bow Technology Wazoo, Klipsch Heresy IIIs.

Klipsch Heresy IIIs are a joy to own and listen to; but then, they are a 65 year old design and still sell.
I am only four years their senior and nobody would give 2 €cents for me… :slight_smile:

So: best to find a careful mix of the two criteria, slightly favoring entertainment, and enjoy.
M.

9 Likes

I add that the only truly emotional listening sessions I have taken part in, were characterized by quality gear and high volume. I remember having replayed Fleetwod Mac’s Tusk at RSCH’s on his 500/S-600s system at an intimidating sound level and being impressed by the power and immediacy of the emotional content. Reproduced music needs SPL.
M.

2 Likes

Ah… a Bow Wazoo. :heart_eyes: Always loved it, never owned.

Thanks!
I had the Wazoo XL fifteen years ago; as with all fine gear, I sold it… Now I bought a SH, non-XL version, and this will definitely remain. Fine piece of engineering, a beautiful object and perfectly good sound at home.
:slight_smile:

M.

1 Like

Books and a coffee table🙂

I suggested to my better half that we might move our coffee table to allow for more detail from the hi fi. The emotion in the room increased dramatically!!!

2 Likes

Not to mention the low sideboard between the speakers… But perhaps in NaimWorld Klipsch Heresy are not even considered loudspeakers.
:laughing:

2 Likes