Speakers for 500 series

@Fallstaff
I did get to listen to Avalons, not sure of the model, when auditioning Wilson Sasha DAWs with Naim system. The Avalon’s were in another room with Dagostino electronics and sounded superb. I attributed the SQ to the electronics but I wonder.

@Thomas may have something to say about that.

The Mk1 were difficult to drive so probably a fair comment at the time. The Mk2 are quite different, much easier to drive.

1 Like

I have the ProAc K6 at the end of a ND555, NAC552, NAP300 system. I think they sound wonderful, very natural. I had the occasion to listen to Magicos S1 in comparison within the same setting but preferred the K6 and bought them. The S1 where too bright for my taste.

1 Like

I own a NAP500DR and a pair of Magico S3 MkII.

I can assure you that the NAP500 drives the S3 MkII and S5 MkII or the M3 easily.

The first version of Magico’s S series had a bumpy impedance curves and therefore needed a lot of current in order to have them under control.

The S MkII series are totally different. In fact, they are simply new speakers.

The only thing they share with the first version is the middle part of the tubular enclosure.

• The top and bottom of the enclosure are different.
  • All the drivers are different
  • And finally the crossover has been redesigned

The 140 Watts and 700VA transient of the 500DR will drive those speakers quite effortlessly.

You can easily find the impedance curves of both the S1 MkII and S5 MkII online.

1 Like

Martin Colloms system: Nds/555dr. Townsend Allegri/ 500dr.
Magico S5.

Hi @frenchrooster
Would that be Martin Collom’s personal system? How do you know?

I am reading regularly Hificritic magazine. Here the review of DCS network bridge mentioning MC system:

“subsequently travelled over to MC’s home for a spot of listening, with Townshend Allegri pre-amp, Naim NAP500DR power amplifier and the Magico S5 MkII speakers, which gave a sound that was very different to what I hear at home through my B&W 802 D2s. “

Thanks @frenchrooster. That’s quite an endorsement for that speaker.

1 Like

We’ve been home cooking for Thanksgiving and listening to music a lot. My wife, unsolicited, blurted out, “These speakers are so good. Why would you ever think of changing them?” (Magico A3). That’s a pretty good endorsement, as she loves music too but not the ‘slight obsession with hardware’ part of it.

I told her the only thing I’m thinking of is next-up-the-ladder Magicos (when we move we’ll have a bigger room) and that seemed to go over ok.

3 Likes

Sounds like Magico A5’s are in store for you…Nice!

Current plan is to trade the A3’s towards A5’s when we move. Although used S5MkII are about the same price.

1 Like

So Bart, can we assume you have auditioned the A5 at the local dealer? If so, how would you describe the sound vs. other Magico speakers of your experience?

I actually havent. I went and listened to S3MkII and M2. I’ll probably do a home audition in the new home of the A5’s. Our local dealer’s rooms are so “dead” I can’t really tell, there, if there will be some issue with them in my home. I’ll probably have to pay them to bring the A5’s over, but I believe they’ll apply that to the purchase.

Everything I read about the A5’s is consistent and given my enjoyment of the A3’s I can’t imagine I’ll have an issue. If there was any issue maybe it’d be bass boom?? Unlikely given their design, but I’ll still pay them to bring them by.

And I’ll wait until we are in the new home; who knows, the A3’s may be perfectly suitable there!

@Bart are you considering the S5MkIIs, I know you listened to the S3’s.

It’s been suggested before, but definitely have a listen to WIlson Audio. The match with Naim is brilliant.

I’m considering them as they come up for sale on the used market at about the same price as the A5’s new. If I found the right pair I might go for them. They offer the additional ‘feature’ that they are not black monoliths, but ‘come in colors.’

1 Like

Bart… is there a ProAc dealer in your area?

1 Like

Not that I can ever find – I’d have to reach out to the distributor to ask (TSO)

For those of us living in the states it is impossible to do home demos unless you live close to a dealer that you have developed a relationship. Wouldn’t it be nice to listen to: (1) Magic S3, 5s, and 7s (2) ProAc K6 signatures and k8s, (3) Wilson Sasha and Alexia, (4) Kudos 808, etc… Most of us are lucky to hear one on demo. It seems the standard practice with most dealers is buy the one you “think” you want and if you hate it then they will allow trade in on another speaker. That’s pretty much best case scenario if you live 400 miles from the nearest dealer.

2 Likes