Speakers for 72/140

Hi,

I recently bought an Olive 72/140 combo which aren’t pairing well with B&W 705 S2 I had lying around. Could anyone suggest smallish bookshelves around 1k that might?

PMC DB1i or + maybe? They are small but seem to be well thought of, I am sure the 140 will drive them well.

1 Like

I can confirm that Steve!

1 Like

Any Kans on the bay?

For a lot less than 1k, Epos ES11s.

I’ve got a 32/NAP120 combination that I use with Neat Iotas.

Works surprisingly well.

LS3/5a…second hand

The Small Harbeth P3ESR Loudspeaker…perhaps over budget if new

1 Like

I always like Dynaudios with Naim. Both my Naim systems use them. I use an older pair of Audience 52SE with my recently acquired Atom in a home office system and am very pleased.

Second hand Linn Tukans with the last spec tweeter. I know from experience the 72/140 loves this.

And you can add a HiCap+SNAXO and another 140 and go active.

I once had a 42.5/HC/140 with a pair of Linn Sara. But by the time I had a Uniti Qute and 250-2 they no longer sounded as good as my Dyns. They were fantastic in their time though.

Monitor Audio Silver 50

LS3/5a
ProAc T10
Linn Kan
Naim IBL

I think 72/140 is underpowered for IBLs. For SBL’s it is OK. Just my finding / my room :slight_smile:
Lovely loudspeakers.

What do you mean by aren’t pairing well? What precisely did you not like?

I had that combination with Ruark Sabre 2’s it was awesome, very musical. They are quite old now but good ones do come up on a popular auction site.

Nick

1 Like

What do you mean by aren’t pairing well? What precisely did you not like?

They sound harsh, too revealing perhaps?
My local dealer who also sells Naim gear is not a fan of the new range.

I have the old CM5 S2 series, and these were not harsh. I don’t know the new 705 S2’s that well. I do think that Naim speakers are more revealing than B&W’s, so if you think they are too revealing, many other speakers will be even more revealing.

My bets would be on the source in that case. Or indeed, the 705 S2’s are a mismatch…

1 Like

Maybe ‘revealing’ is the wrong word, too bright, forward as in all detail at the front sort of thing.
I have a couple sound sources, a highish spec LP12 and a basic DAC which sounds reasonable through other setups I’ve had.

harbeth p3esr

Spendor 3/5 on good stands with a CB or Olive pre/power combination will give you hours of fatigue-free listening with many genres.