Speakers that sound good at low volumes

How low is low volume? I would class the reading below as low volume

A need for anything quieter and I would use headphones.

2 Likes

Saves the need to find something which is all things to all people?

4 Likes

There may be some snippets of relevant info in this current thread:

I have ATC SCM19’s. Actually using them at about “7 o’clock” right now. No loss of anything except volume.

ATC all the way. Versatile as hell and come with their own fishnet stockings.

Matron.

2 Likes

My DB reading was taken at 7 and Piega 701s sound great, mind you they sound better at 9!

For me over 70dB is loud (very occasionally listen this loud)
60-65 medium on the high side
45-60 lower to medium (and in evenings/night can go really low)

4 Likes

IMG_0466

2 Likes

That would be a PMC 25.21i then :wink:

2 Likes

No idea how accurate the Iphone Db meter is. In “silence” it reads 33

2 Likes

I love my ATC speakers, but wouldn’t suggest them as ideal for low volume listening. In my experience, they sound OK at lower volumes, at least for providing a pleasant aural background to other activities. But turn up the wick and the musicians suddenly snap into focus just behind the plane of the speakers. It’s that realistic presentation of the performance that I find so addictive, at least for the mostly acoustic recordings I listen to, but not at lower volumes.

Roger

5 Likes

Low volume listening has always been a requirement for me. My solution back in the day was Linn Kans. When I upgraded I wanted a bigger but not loader sound so went for SBLs; but the solution for low volume listen was to go active with 135s.

Today, I would still recommend the active path, perhaps with some ATCs.

4 Likes

Audiovector high sensitivity and works well with Naim and also on low volume.

1 Like

Fyne audi 302’s work well at low volumes. Cheap as chips and can run well with the Nait 2 right up to the 252dr/250dr. Clarity, good mids and bass. They are not so good at higher volumes though ( become a little boomy).

4 Likes

Setup is crucial. Low level signals need the best care and attention as much as possible.
A thoroughly decent hi definition cable loom and support.
Naca generally performs best with some wick.

DBLs :sunglasses:

4 Likes

My Kudos X3s bubble away nicely on a simmer when required. :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

My expereince over the years is that large loudspeakers sound better at low volumes that smaller ones (with the possible exception of the LS3/5a). The alternative is to go with Bose/Sonos which sounds better at low volumes than they do at high volumes. because of the rather extreme equalization (space optimization?)

3 Likes

n-SATs.

2 Likes

Agreed Stephen :+1:

2 Likes

I had a Harbeth C7es 2 with the YBA Integre DT and a Teac VRDS CD player for a couple of years and it sounded great at low volumes.

When I was teenager, looking at some Yamaha hifi at the music school. A NS-1000 speaker was playing some guitar music softly. It sounded really clean and clear. I could feel the vibration of the strings. The focal range with the Beryllium tweeter might also be a good choice.